1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Struggling Volunteer Squad

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by resq330, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Jan 27, 2012 at 11:26 AM
    resq330

resq330 [OP] El' Capi-Tan

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    VA
    Vehicle:
    13 MGM DCSB TRD-Sport
    K&N Drop-In, Dick Cepek 'Torque' Wheels, Wet Okole Seat Covers, LED Interior
    I know this topic isn't discussed much on here so, I may or may not get a response.

I've been a member of my local volunteer rescue squad for 15 years now. In the last few years I have seen a lot of people come and go and I've seen a lot of change. When I first joined, people were always out at the station, on the weekends especially. Sometimes you would have to run and/or fight to get a spot on a truck if a call went off. Back then, we also had a paid staff in the county that worked M-F 8am-6pm and weekends only like 8-430pm. We had it the rest of the time. There was never a problem to get calls covered. A few years ago when members starting dropping or just stopped coming around, the call coverage and response times dropped dramatically. The county stepped in and started accepting proposals for a 24/7 coverage ems staff. Long story short, we submitted a proposal along with a few others but the paid staff that was already in the county, won the bid.

They started their new contract in mid-2010. Since then, moral and getting calls covered or getting a jump on a call to beat the paid staff has dropped dramatically...We just built and opened up a new station last year. Hardly anyone comes out there these days. A lot of members like to push the blame on poor management (officers). But I feel this new contract has a lot to do with it. If I'm sitting at home and a call goes off, I'm not going to drive 10 minutes to the station just to turn around and go back home because the paid staff is already on scene. (They have to be responding within 2 minutes). I'm not the only one that developed this harsh reality. I also feel that this thread that Dead Heretic started has a LOT to do with it as well. Bottom line is, if we don't have members at the station to jump on a truck immediately and go, we won't beat the paid staff and we won't get to transport. We do soft billing, which means we bill the patients insurance company and receive whatever they pay. We never send bill collectors or contact credit services if a patient receives a bill at their house and does not pay.

Last year I was voted into the position of 1st LT (2nd in rank). We (the officers) have been searching for a resolution that would bring members back around and also get calls covered at the same time. At the first of 2011 we implemented a change to our requirements that made members have so many run hours per month. This didn't go well with a lot of folks but we needed accountability of our members and in a way "forced" them to come out and run calls.

Shew....I need a break from all this typing....There is plenty more I could add but I will hold off for now. If anyone has any positive feedback, comments or questions, it would be greatly appreciated.

2. Jan 27, 2012 at 11:32 AM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    Its happening all over..people want to bitch and not do anything more, so they stop comming out..its happening in my own department..im ready to just say fukkit and give it a break for a few years..i plan on moving in the next year or two anyway

3. Jan 27, 2012 at 11:35 AM
    resq330

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    VA
    Vehicle:
    13 MGM DCSB TRD-Sport
    Yeah, I know it's starting to happen all over. I just hate to walk away from 15 years worth of enjoyment (well for the most part) and serving my community. It makes me feel good to know I did a good dead for a citizen. It's in my blood now....and also branded on my shoulder for life :eek::)

4. Jan 27, 2012 at 11:41 AM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    Sometimes its better to walk away before shit gets to deep..guy i work with walked away after 19years on the fd because of the bullshit

5. Jan 27, 2012 at 11:44 AM
    resq330

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    VA
    Vehicle:
    13 MGM DCSB TRD-Sport
    All jokes aside, I really have considered it. My officer term ends after this year, so we shall see.

6. Jan 27, 2012 at 11:47 AM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    Ive been on the fd for 8 years now, i think im going to call it quits soon too..enough is enough

7. Jan 27, 2012 at 12:05 PM
    resq330

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    VA
    Vehicle:
    13 MGM DCSB TRD-Sport
    Being in as long as we have it's always easier said than done to just up and walk away. Good thing for me is, I have my life member with the squad.

8. Jan 28, 2012 at 6:54 AM
    Kilo Charlie

Kilo Charlie I have lost my way

Member:
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Off Road
    Why are you on the Fire Department? Are you there to "be cool" and drive the BRTs? Have bragging rights to your friends? Or are you really there to help your community?

No matter how much internal BS there is going on... if we each stood up and remembered that we are there to help the people... things would be a lot different. Go to the station. Do your part. Clean up after yourself. Go home. Pretty simple... yet so hard for the majority to remember.

9. Jan 28, 2012 at 9:01 AM
    resq330

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    VA
    Vehicle:
    13 MGM DCSB TRD-Sport
    I'm going to assume this isn't directly related to me since the subject says "rescue squad" lol. I can't agree with you more. So many people join for the wrong reasons. Could care less about even running calls. They just want that tag to put on their car and a squad t-shirt to show off.

10. Jan 28, 2012 at 9:33 AM
    resq330

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    VA
    Vehicle:
    13 MGM DCSB TRD-Sport
    Correction, it just says, "squad". My bad. The rescue squad reference is actually in the first sentence

11. Jan 30, 2012 at 7:45 PM
    Kilo Charlie

Kilo Charlie I have lost my way

Member:
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Off Road
    My apologies ... did not mean to offend the OP... or anyone else for that matter. Guess I wanted to remind everyone why we do what we do. My words were hasty and improperly chosen.

12. Jan 31, 2012 at 7:50 AM
    resq330

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    VA
    Vehicle:
    13 MGM DCSB TRD-Sport
    No worries. I agree in what you're saying. Just wanted to clarify I wasn't in the squad to be in the "cool club". Thanks for your input.

Products Discussed in

To Top