1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Weird, cool stuff you found in the woods.

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by Zombie Runner, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Aug 19, 2013 at 4:56 PM
    XIGUNHAWKIX

XIGUNHAWKIX Just a desert dude.

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Taos, NM
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4WD Base Project Truck
    Entune touchscreen display, JBL system, blacked out, Icon 2.5 Remote Resis, TC UCA's, 50" LED LightBar. Pelfreybilt bumper.
    Found these Indian paintings in a cave close to where I live:
    [​IMG]

Slashaar likes this.
  2. Aug 19, 2013 at 5:00 PM
    Socalduckslayer

Socalduckslayer Pelfreybilt Off-Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    San Diego, Ca
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma
    Odds and Ends
  3. Aug 19, 2013 at 5:27 PM
    Millertime187

Millertime187 I'll be your huckleberry!

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Clay City, KY
    Vehicle:
    1995 Taco
    Just a few little things. It's my DD
    That's cool!!!

KEEP THEM COMING EVERYBODY!!! These are all great!!!!

4. Aug 20, 2013 at 7:52 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner [OP] Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    Good updates everyone!

There is a lone fireplace on the trail that I run. Ill snap a pic next time Im out.

5. Aug 20, 2013 at 9:08 AM
    Ice Horse

Ice Horse Stalking horse

Member:
    First Name:
    Lauren
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    98 3.4L V6 TRD Ext. Cab 4x4 SR5
    ADS Racing Shocks 2.5" Extended Travel Coilovers with Reservoirs, 3 inch All Pro rear suspension kit, factory E-locker, Trail Gear sliders and front stinger bumper, CBI Offroad rear tube bumper, XRC8 Winch, 33 inch BFG KM2's, 16 inch Ivan Stewart Wheels, Uniden CB radio, flip up license plate, white tail lights, LED front signals, Tundra front brake upgrade, new radio, rock lights, sub woofer, remote start, satoshi grille with Prius emblem, Rigid DOT/SAE Fog Lights, 12" Light Bar
    MTGirl. That's interesting. I've never seen a mill with any concrete from all the ones I've seen.

6. Aug 20, 2013 at 5:02 PM
    Gramps

Gramps My walker is faster than your Prius!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gramps
    Colorado! Where else?
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD DC 4x4
    A small handful of select mods.
    Yeah that mill must of had some serious money backing it to get such a solid build back in that day. We have some in Central City that had concrete support but most were so "fly by night" that you were lucky if the ground was level. :p

7. Aug 20, 2013 at 5:41 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    CO has lots of old silver and gold mines too, right? Most of hte mines here were timber structures with rock/masonry foundations. The concrete here is unusual but they completed the railroad first and then the mill building so getting materials on site was much more efficient...probably had a lot to do with it.

"The completion of the Montana Southern Railway was a tremendous asset to the construction of the mill. This huge building covered nearly two acres. For winter work it boasted steam heat and also had an up-to-date fire protection system of hydrant, hose, and sprinkler. Completed in 1922, at a cost of $900,000, the finished structure was truly overwhelming as it still is today, although time and scavengers have taken their toll."

http://www.gorp.com/parks-guide/tra...national-forest-montana-sidwcmdev_066348.html

8. Aug 20, 2013 at 7:21 PM
    Ice Horse

Ice Horse Stalking horse

Member:
    First Name:
    Lauren
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    ADS Racing Shocks 2.5" Extended Travel Coilovers with Reservoirs, 3 inch All Pro rear suspension kit, factory E-locker, Trail Gear sliders and front stinger bumper, CBI Offroad rear tube bumper, XRC8 Winch, 33 inch BFG KM2's, 16 inch Ivan Stewart Wheels, Uniden CB radio, flip up license plate, white tail lights, LED front signals, Tundra front brake upgrade, new radio, rock lights, sub woofer, remote start, satoshi grille with Prius emblem, Rigid DOT/SAE Fog Lights, 12" Light Bar
    One of my favorites is the mine at Wheeler Lake. You can tell it was a money making place because I assume what whats the "big mans" office on the second floor still has some old wallpaper on it. Was a scary climb though. :eek: Though I guess the fact it was made with the tin outside gives it away too lol.

Not my picture, just one from google.
    [​IMG]

9. Aug 20, 2013 at 7:30 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    I love finding stuff like this when exploring...

Unfortunately I don't get to do it that often. :pout:

10. Aug 20, 2013 at 7:50 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    I need to get out and find more petrified wood & limb casts.

[​IMG]

604 and Slashaar like this.
  11. Aug 20, 2013 at 7:57 PM
    Ice Horse

Ice Horse Stalking horse

Member:
    First Name:
    Lauren
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    There's a place around there that I still have to check out where they used to run cable cars filled with the ore and things. The cables are still hanging and you can wiggle it and watch the wave ripple all the way up to the top of the mountain and then come all the way back down.

12. Aug 20, 2013 at 8:06 PM
    Gramps

Gramps My walker is faster than your Prius!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gramps
    Colorado! Where else?
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD DC 4x4
    A small handful of select mods.
    Oh crap is that down in the San Juan's? I cannot remember the name of the pass right now but there is one part where an ore car hangs on the cable still over the trail. Is that the one?

13. Aug 20, 2013 at 9:06 PM
    NYCO

NYCO go explore...

Member:
    First Name:
    bOb
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Blue Betty - '06 TRD OR
    dents & scratches
    I think there is Still wires going into the building at wheeler going up/coming down the mountain.

14. Aug 20, 2013 at 9:07 PM
    NYCO

NYCO go explore...

Member:
    First Name:
    bOb
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Blue Betty - '06 TRD OR
    dents & scratches
    Lots of cables still running in the mining areas in the San juans

15. Sep 26, 2013 at 6:09 AM
    sonic77

sonic77 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Peoria IL.
    Vehicle:
    2013 Magnetic Grey 4x4 TRD
    None Yet!
    Anyone find anything cool lately?

16. Sep 26, 2013 at 7:02 AM
    MrStumpy

MrStumpy Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    Sport LB 4x4
    BaK Flip VP bed cover, Weather Tech vent shades, Flyzeye LED wired lighting
    Megalodon Shark Teeth I found in a small quarry near my house. Longest ones here are 2.5". I have seen 3 at 7+". Supposedly for every 1" in tooth length the fish length is 10 Feet

[​IMG]

Slashaar likes this.
  17. Mar 16, 2014 at 6:44 PM
    MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    Took my camera for a drive today hoping to find some birds to photograph and I happened to stumble upon an odd vehicle graveyard of sorts. I've driven by this spot a dozen or more times and never stopped. Since I didn't find any birds I decided to stop and explore so I'd have maybe something to photograph. From the road you just see a few stray pieces of metals sticking out of the ground. Then as you walk further away from the road there are more and more pieces. And there is at least one complete car of some variety completely buried - just the dash and door sills are visible. I didn't want to spend too much time at this site as the ground had a lot of soft spots...I was afraid the dirt would give way and I'd end up in the trunk or something! :eek:
    I'll post pics in a few but I think I found an old tractor, a late 30's or early 40's truck cab, and some sort of sedan. I can't imagine how or why they ended up where they are!

Slashaar likes this.
  18. Mar 16, 2014 at 6:52 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    :popcorn:

19. Mar 16, 2014 at 7:13 PM
    MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    And here are the cars...or what's left of them...
    The first find, what I think is an old tractor or some type of farm equipment. Pretty sure the rest of it is buried under the mound of dirt to the rear/left of the photo.
    Picture004_zpsaa452709_494365d576112decdb0f545fb87f51fc7cb86dfe.jpg
    And the truck with a furnace? I'm really not sure
    Picture017_zps5e10908b_5e8f0ccfc4828a7f7912dcdabe687f7f602d291e.jpg
    Another view of the truck. The door says "**CHACHE BROS. PAINT" Couldn't make out much else except a "BOZ" for Bozeman, MT so it was used by a local business at some point.
    Picture023_zps62517aa3_de8c36eb6b24487fe338a9e5ed2afb660884e4af.jpg
    And the car. The hole in the foreground is probably the trunk. I didn't venture on top of it and used that hole as a reference point to avoid standing on the vehicle itself
    Picture024_zpse7c1187e_ad6894378d68129c70132fca89dec15c2f04b419.jpg
    A closer look at the dash - you can make out the steering wheel and instrument panel and the door sills. Convertibles in MT are rare so I'm guessing the roof collapsed on top of the seats

Picture025_zpse9cb6395_fda98fe4eca5ef3024f9f9cddc2fa76f019e10c5.jpg

This area is near a major river and I know that they used to bury old vehicles along riverbanks to prevent erosion. I can hear the environmentalists cringing...but they didn't know any better back then. But the river is about 70 yards or so away so it seems odd that these vehicles are just buried in the middle of a bunch of farmland

Slashaar likes this.
  20. Mar 16, 2014 at 7:21 PM
    headhunter247

headhunter247 Well-Known Member

Member:
    St. Louis, MO area
    Vehicle:
    18 Taco Double Cab TRD
    5100's all around, OME 888 and Dakars. ProComp Series 05. Cooper SST Maxx 275s.
To Top