Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

School me on TV's

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-04-2012, 07:44 AM   #1
jackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jackhart's Tacoma Gallery
School me on TV's

Nice sized tax refund coming, thinking about getting a new TV in the 60-65" range. Want something a bit higher end, but no idea what to get. I have two Samsung flat screens - I seem to really like the pictures on those. But they are smaller sets, only 32". I have no tv in my living room and have a pretty big wall space reserved for a tv there. The room has two big (almost floor to ceiling) windows in it, so it gets fairly bright during the day.

So, do I go plasma, LED, LCD? I'd love a plasma because I like to watch sports and fast moving action flicks. But I've heard plasma's - at least older ones - do better in dark rooms. I know that whole "burn in" thing is pretty much a thing of the past now, too, because of newer plasma technology.

My budget is in the $2500-3000 range.

Also, what is the deal with HDMI cables? I have Verizon FIOS and the set top boxes that I have now come with HDMI cables. Do I need to buy "new" ones to maximize the picture? They seem pretty pricey so if I could avoid buying new ones that would be good, but if the Verizon stock ones are crap, of course I don't want to cheap out. Thanks for any advice/input.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:54 AM   #2
Trent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Trent's Tacoma Gallery
Hdmi cables pass a digital signal of ones and zeroes. Cable quality doesn't impact digital signals as strongly as analog signals. A cheapy Hdmi cable is fine. Do NOT buy one from the big box store. Go to monoprice.com and get a cheap cable. I have been running their cables for years with NO issues.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:54 AM   #3
No longer anonymous. D'oh!
carcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
carcharias's Tacoma Gallery
LED is the newest technology (light emitting diode). I have a Samsung and it's incredible. Basically the picture of plasma without the screen-burn. It's definitely an adjustment when watching the images it brings. I'd suggest this.

LCD (liquid crystal diode) is the old workhorse. Not as good of an image as either the other two, and not as fast of a refresh rate (for sports and games). Cheap, but still worth it. Matte screens means less light reflection, which, as you know, can be annoying.

Plasma is being phased out, but gives a beautiful image. They are filled with gas, have glass screens, and owners have tended to get "screen burn" if an image is paused too long. Maybe it doesn't happen as much now. These tv's don't last as long (up to ten years). Amazing contrast ratios, and extremely fast refresh rates. Can be had for very cheap now.

HDMI cables carry all your data (audio/video) for HD. The more in the back the merrier as you'll be attaching more and more things in the future (BluRay player, audio receiver, etc). Monster will sell them up to $100, but all you really need is a $6 one from Amazon.

I'd suggest an LED Samsung over 52". Hope this helps a little!
Old 02-04-2012, 07:55 AM   #4
Trent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Trent's Tacoma Gallery
Or just continue using the Verizon cables. They will be fine.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:58 AM   #5
Buckeye Member
cc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HT1st Class
Name: Chas
cc350's Tacoma Gallery
LED, 120hz ,1080p, HDMI is fine
Old 02-04-2012, 07:59 AM   #6
Impressive Member
RevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
RevAdam's Tacoma Gallery
I have a plasma because at the time (3 years ago) it was the only way to get high refresh rates for sports. LCDs had motion blur problems when I was buying my TV. Now, all that is fixed and you can get an LCD TV with LED backlights that is both quick and with no worry of burn-in.

Just keep your old cables, they'll work fine. Buy new ones when you need them for other accessories at Monoprice. I even have a 30' cable from them to the back of my PC. Works great!
Old 02-04-2012, 07:59 AM   #7
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Plasmas have the deepest blacks and the colors are more vibrant but they aren't as good in well lit rooms due to their glossy screens which causes quite a bit of glare. Your best bet is an LCD with a backlit LED light engine. They get pretty close to plasmas as far as vibrant colors are concerned and LCD screens have a matte finish which works best in a room that has a lot of natural light. Obviously, 1080p and 240 hz refresh is what you want. 3D will also end up in your price point but that will be a personal decision.

Digital is digital. Do not spend a lot of money on HDMI cables. You can order them from monoprice.com for a good price.

I use my projector a majority of the time but I have a 50" LG plasma and a 50" Toshiba LCD downstairs and the LG is better for watching regular shows and the Toshiba is used for the xbox mainly with a little bit of tv watching.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:59 AM   #8
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
I highly recommend an LED TV. The picture is incredibly bright and vibrant. I've never been a fan of Plasma, and I feel that LCD's are outdated.

The Samsung 42" 3D LED TV that my friend has is ridiculous.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:02 AM   #9
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc350 View Post
LED, 120hz ,1080p, HDMI is fine
Whew! Glad to hear someone say that. Thats what I have, and am always impressed with the picture.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:02 AM   #10
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
I highly recommend Samsung! they hands down make the best LED/LCD TVs on the market, Ive bought 3 Samsung HDTVs the past 5 years all of which are still being used and still look just as good as when i Brought it home. SAMSUNG FTW!
Old 02-04-2012, 08:03 AM   #11
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yes 120Hz is plenty! also a bit of info. The human eye cannot tell the difference between 720p and 1080p if the TV is less than 36"
Old 02-04-2012, 08:04 AM   #12
mknipp has a spectacular aura aboutmknipp has a spectacular aura about
mknipp's Tacoma Gallery
I'm going to purchase a 60" LED LCD 3d tv today. B&H photo has a sharp 60" LED 240hz 3d on sale for around $1800 after a $500 instant credit (ending tomorrow). By far the best deal I have seen and I have been looking for 60" TV's since Xmas. Free shipping, no sales tax, no brainer. Their site is down until later on this evening however.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:12 AM   #13
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
Some plasma's like mine have an anti glare screen. It helps but does still have glare. You can see the difference in the screen, mine looks kinda textured compared to the glossy finish. But you have to consider where the windows are in relation, mine isn't too bad since the big window is kinda away from the tv. But I do think the plasma's have a bit better picture. It's give and take. And I agree about the cable's, BB tried to push their $100 cables on me. I went to Wally World and paid like $15 or so and it looks great! Not that I'm trying to brag but I've went to friends houses and didn't think they had HD since their picture didn't compare. Some of which have the high end cable's and some have LCD's.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:13 AM   #14
Senior NEWBIE
Tigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Isaac
Tigahshark's Tacoma Gallery
LED all the way!
Old 02-04-2012, 08:19 AM   #15
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
Yes 120Hz is plenty! also a bit of info. The human eye cannot tell the difference between 720p and 1080p if the TV is less than 36"
I can't even tell the difference from my bedroom (720) 42" to the living room (1080) 50". Actually the bedroom has a better picture. But I think the bedroom tv is a slightly higher quality tv. It was our living room tv until we moved in the new house with a bigger living room. I loved my 42 Panasonic so much I bought the other bigger one for the living room with the same specs but haven't been as happy with this one.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:28 AM   #16
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Supposedly the human I can't detect anything more than a 60 hz refresh rate but go to a store and watch basketball or hockey on a big TV with a 120 hz refresh rate and verify that you can't pick up on the motion blur before you buy. I have noticed it on some TVs.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:31 AM   #17
My pee parts itch

Quote:
Some plasma's like mine have an anti glare screen. It helps but does still have glare.
Mine does as well but it still is more glossy than an LCD. I have two windows that are right next to the Plasma but there is a covered porch in front of the windows so it never gets direct sunlight through the windows. I still love watching the Plasma though. Also check out AVS forums for more info. Local dimming is also a nice option to have if you are a movie buff.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:31 AM   #18
o_o
Special_K is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecial_K is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecial_K is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecial_K is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecial_K is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecial_K is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecial_K is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecial_K is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecial_K is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecial_K is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecial_K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
Name: Eddie
Special_K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mknipp View Post
I'm going to purchase a 60" LED LCD 3d tv today. B&H photo has a sharp 60" LED 240hz 3d on sale for around $1800 after a $500 instant credit (ending tomorrow). By far the best deal I have seen and I have been looking for 60" TV's since Xmas. Free shipping, no sales tax, no brainer. Their site is down until later on this evening however.
That's an awesome deal! I'm in the market for a TV like the OP as well.

The Samsung 60in LED 7000 model looks pretty bad ass with the 0.2in bezel, but the best I could find it was at Magnolia for $2650+tax so thats a bummer.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:04 AM   #19
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
My friends TV has 240 Hz refresh rate and it makes you feel like you're watching something in slow motion sometimes...it's hard to describe. I think it's because the transitions are so smooth.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:12 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special_K View Post
That's an awesome deal! I'm in the market for a TV like the OP as well.

The Samsung 60in LED 7000 model looks pretty bad ass with the 0.2in bezel, but the best I could find it was at Magnolia for $2650+tax so thats a bummer.
The same exact model but with 120hz instead of 240hz even at best buy was under 2000. but 1800 for that TV is an excellent price! I paid 2400 for my 46" samsung the first model 120Hz debuted.

Products Discussed in this Thread