Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

HOW TO SEND A LARGE PACKAGE ?

Old 02-05-2012, 12:06 PM   #1
Reads more than posts
sofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
sofiasdad11's Tacoma Gallery
HOW TO SEND A LARGE PACKAGE ?

hello all, i have a large package (that's what she said) attempting to send to a fellow TW'er; full set of oem flares in a box roughly 5' x 3' x 10" deep and no more than 20lbs. tried usps online and their site stated the package was too large. everyone's closed today (sunday) so no one to call. so, any ideas who to try next? hoping to keep costs down of course. btw, tried CL to no avail. any and all suggestions welcome
Old 02-05-2012, 12:08 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofiasdad11 View Post
hello all, i have a large package (that's what she said) attempting to send to a fellow TW'er; full set of oem flares in a box roughly 5' x 3' x 10" deep and no more than 20lbs. tried usps online and their site stated the package was too large. everyone's closed today (sunday) so no one to call. so, any ideas who to try next? hoping to keep costs down of course. btw, tried CL to no avail. any and all suggestions welcome
you could probably get a greyhound bus delivery for pretty cheap.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #3
Out fer a Rip eh Bud
VanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: DJ
VanCity4x's Tacoma Gallery
US postal service only handles small packages, pretty much only there packaging. UPS is what you need. UPS store could also ship it. If thats too long for them, shouldnt be, then UPS or YRC.com freight shipping.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:16 PM   #4
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
UPS or FedEx will ship that for ya
Old 02-05-2012, 12:26 PM   #5
Taco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Taco76087's Tacoma Gallery
It looked like about $180 to go from Dallas to Seattle at Ground and 100 in declared value.

You can go to theupsstore.com and get a very detailed quote anytime
Old 02-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #6
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
know of any local businesses that deal with large freight? you might could go down to one you're friends with and have it put on a truck and let them do all the work.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #7
Reads more than posts
sofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcqueen280 View Post
lol

step 1: go to local ups store, carrying what you want to ship
step 2: approach the counter
step 3: tell the employee behind the counter that you wish to ship what you are holding and where you want to ship it
step 4: answer any questions they ask you to the best of your ability
step 5: pay for the services and goods provided to you by ups
that sounds pretty complicated seriously, discovered at usps site can ship "parcel post" up to 130" but when entered the info, they again stated " your package is too large.." prob try ups tomorrow. thanks, fellas
Old 02-05-2012, 12:54 PM   #8
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Old 02-05-2012, 01:03 PM   #9
Taco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
lol

step 3: tell the employee behind the counter that you wish to ship what you are holding and where you want to ship it
X2 on this it really is pretty easy (I work at The UPS Store)

Only thing is we can also give you a quote rather than going through everything and figuring out it is too much $$
Old 02-05-2012, 01:09 PM   #10
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
that sounds pretty complicated seriously, discovered at usps site can ship "parcel post" up to 130" but when entered the info, they again stated " your package is too large.." prob try ups tomorrow. thanks, fellas
One of my jobs is shipping stuff for a fairly large company. The threshold for large packages is 130 inches of girth (2H + 2W + L). Beyond that they should still ship it out for you, but there will be additional fees.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #11
Reads more than posts

"TW EXPRESS".....i remember that idea

Quote:

thats weird, wonder why it said that....a trip to the store would probably remedy that...
this is why tw express would be so great! i cant believe it never took off, bgr could have taken care of a lot with his recent drivings
yes, that woulda been cool almost forgot about that one. sending out some different items to iowa and jersey, and receiving something from a fellow TW'er in nevada. i like craigslist, but i've been f'd over twice there, waiting for someone who pulled out @ the last minute. whereas have had nothing but good experiences with TW members
Old 02-05-2012, 02:53 PM   #12
brp is on a distinguished road
brp's Tacoma Gallery
I have heard that Fastenal has a shipping service between their stores. You could try them.

I know this does not apply for you, but if anybody wants to ship stuff in the Midwest, use SpeeDee Delivery. It is usually ships overnight, and always cheap, even for large/heavy stuff.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:55 PM   #13
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
I shipped an OEM bed divider through UPS and it ended up being pretty spendy. Granted they added a few bucks extra to it cause it wasn't in a box and I just had the thing wrapped in a a couple inches of bubble wrap and cardboard lol.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:00 PM   #14
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, when I shipped flares to another member, I paid through the nose for shipping.

First off, box them up as compact as you can without folding/damaging the flares. You're paying more money by the inch here. If you've "over-boxed" them, it'll be worth your while to do it again smaller.

Then UPS retail (what you pay for local pickup or at the UPS store) was a little over 90 bucks for the box I had.

I managed to finagle a deal with a local business that has a UPS account, where I paid them cash at their UPS high volume discount rate; and that was about sixty bucks. They said they were doing it for me as a favor, but they also kindly requested me not to bug them in the future, since I'm not a regular customer and they don't make any money for taking on the hassle.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:07 PM   #15
First I derp.. then I herp
mntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Aaron
mntbiker2008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves104x4 View Post
Old 02-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #16
Senior NEWBIE
Tigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Isaac
Tigahshark's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
UPS or FedEx will ship that for ya
/\/\ this
Old 02-10-2012, 01:03 PM   #17
Reads more than posts

UPDATE----MONETARILY VIOLATED BY UPS

Quote:
lol

STEP 6: pay $158 for cheapest UPS shipping option. fabricated a box just slightly larger than the flares, though well-packaged, and @ only 19 lbs. still $158..............wtf choice did i have? granted the box was large @ roughly 5'x3'x10"deep...........but come on...........oh, well@least a fellow TW'er will be happy
Old 02-10-2012, 04:51 PM   #18

Quote:
STEP 6: pay $158 for cheapest UPS shipping option. fabricated a box just slightly larger than the flares, though well-packaged, and @ only 19 lbs. still $158..............wtf choice did i have? granted the box was large @ roughly 5'x3'x10"deep...........but come on...........oh, well@least a fellow TW'er will be happy
Dementional weight although it may only weigh 19 pounds it is shipping at probably around 100 pounds due to the amount of room it takes up on the truck. No way around that if that's the smallest box it can fit in.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:23 AM   #19
Thieu is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
Thieu's Tacoma Gallery
Give uShip.com a try (FYI, I did work there for 8 years). It's like eBay for shipping. You post your item and truckers/hotshotters bid for the right to ship your item. There is an "auto parts" category that might work for you. Truckers will try to fill their truck to offset back-hauls so you might save some money when compared to UPS/Freight which does become exponentially expensive as your shipments gets larger.

It's free to post so there's not much to lose. Take this for what you will from an ex-employee.