Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Access Denied - Closing Our Forests

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-06-2012, 12:43 PM   #1
Bobert14 [OP] Bobert14 is offline
.
Bobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Bobert14's Avatar
Joined: Jan 2011, #49266
Location: Oregon
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,815
Bobert14's Tacoma Gallery
Access Denied - Closing Our Forests

A very good film a friend forwarded to me. Figure I would post it here. Didn't see a landuse sub-forum like TTORA has.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kUhL...layer_embedded
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
Bad decisions make great stories.
Lost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Joined: May 2010, #36774
Location: Seattle
Age: 36
Gender: Dude
Posts: 1,495
Lost_Humanity's Tacoma Gallery
I think "very good" is an overstatement.

Production quality alone is shit. So many jump cuts, slam edits, loose frames, black frames and just out-of context video makes it lose most if not all credibility to the viewer.

The green screen work is atrocious, as are most of the graphics.

Not to mention it's clearly propaganda. $6 Billion a year is nothing to operate a National Parks Service as vast as the United States'. That's why you increasingly see day-use and permit fees. The Ranger staff is a fraction of what it once was, and as parks such as Yellowstone, Yosemite, Olympics and Denali see ever increased traffic, those funds need to serve the greatest amount of people in the best way possible.

Oh -- and the part about clearing fuel? Do you know how much money is actually saved by these controls, as opposed to the massive expenses of fighting wildfires? Here's a hint: a lot. Then there was the glossed-over part about how private property owners just so happened to pull their own roads from the system.

I feel bad for the loss of open OHV roads in our parklands. But pointing the finger at the NPS is ridiculous. Historically low tax revenues, increased liability concerns, logging lobbyists and reduced private property cooperation are the main reasons why these areas are closing -- with a sprinkle of environmentalists.

Blame your local and national governments for tax cuts, threatened and achieved shutdowns as to reasons why the roads are closing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:34 PM   #3
Bobert14 [OP] Bobert14 is offline
.
Bobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Bobert14's Avatar
Joined: Jan 2011, #49266
Location: Oregon
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,815
Bobert14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_Humanity View Post
I think "very good" is an overstatement.

Production quality alone is shit. So many jump cuts, slam edits, loose frames, black frames and just out-of context video makes it lose most if not all credibility to the viewer.

The green screen work is atrocious, as are most of the graphics.

Not to mention it's clearly propaganda. $6 Billion a year is nothing to operate a National Parks Service as vast as the United States'. That's why you increasingly see day-use and permit fees. The Ranger staff is a fraction of what it once was, and as parks such as Yellowstone, Yosemite, Olympics and Denali see ever increased traffic, those funds need to serve the greatest amount of people in the best way possible.

Oh -- and the part about clearing fuel? Do you know how much money is actually saved by these controls, as opposed to the massive expenses of fighting wildfires? Here's a hint: a lot. Then there was the glossed-over part about how private property owners just so happened to pull their own roads from the system.

I feel bad for the loss of open OHV roads in our parklands. But pointing the finger at the NPS is ridiculous. Historically low tax revenues, increased liability concerns, logging lobbyists and reduced private property cooperation are the main reasons why these areas are closing -- with a sprinkle of environmentalists.

Blame your local and national governments for tax cuts, threatened and achieved shutdowns as to reasons why the roads are closing.
Critiquing the graphics? Really? Opening your argument with that is not how you prove your credibility.

You wouldn't happen to work for the NPS, would you?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
Bad decisions make great stories.
Lost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Joined: May 2010, #36774
Location: Seattle
Age: 36
Gender: Dude
Posts: 1,495
Lost_Humanity's Tacoma Gallery
I opened my argument with the shittiness of the video's quality. It's a piece of crap.

I guess I could have opened with ridiculousness of the messaged content.

I do not work for NPS, nor do I have any affiliation with NPS. You posted your shitty video on the Internet for the purpose of feedback and you're getting some. If you want to make a statement, do it with professional quality work, equipment and compelling narrative. Don't take a dump on a plate and expect everyone to say what a great meal it is.

Some tips:

Cut the video in at least half. Preferably down to 5 minutes. Almost nobody has the attention span to watch a self-glorification 15 minute epic. Lose the host, he does nothing for your cause. Hire a professional editor. Trim your script to lose all the crybaby shit about how NPS has "billions" of dollars but can't open some OHV roads. Direct your audience to a website to learn more information about your cause in detail.

Right now your message is "We're losing our roads! Waaaaah!" delivered by a guy who looks like a child molester. Change your format to one which includes practical solutions, a call to action to raise awareness, and a method for people to become involved.

Jesus Christ. I just gave you like $1500 worth of advice an ad agency would charge you for.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:00 PM   #5
Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 94B/76Y Medical Honorable Discharge
Name: Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
Joined: Dec 2011, #68618
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,780
The Driver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_Humanity View Post
I opened my argument with the shittiness of the video's quality. It's a piece of crap.

I guess I could have opened with ridiculousness of the messaged content.

I do not work for NPS, nor do I have any affiliation with NPS. You posted your shitty video on the Internet for the purpose of feedback and you're getting some. If you want to make a statement, do it with professional quality work, equipment and compelling narrative. Don't take a dump on a plate and expect everyone to say what a great meal it is.

Some tips:

Cut the video in at least half. Preferably down to 5 minutes. Almost nobody has the attention span to watch a self-glorification 15 minute epic. Lose the host, he does nothing for your cause. Hire a professional editor. Trim your script to lose all the crybaby shit about how NPS has "billions" of dollars but can't open some OHV roads. Direct your audience to a website to learn more information about your cause in detail.

Right now your message is "We're losing our roads! Waaaaah!" delivered by a guy who looks like a child molester. Change your format to one which includes practical solutions, a call to action to raise awareness, and a method for people to become involved.

Jesus Christ. I just gave you like $1500 worth of advice an ad agency would charge you for.
Txs for the "readers digest" version. I work for the Dept of Interior, if the NPS has "Billions of $$$", that is news to me and to congress...

I'm not going to get into an argument, but the money that NPS has is public knowledge. Please look it up, it is not "billions"...
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:07 PM   #6
Bobert14 [OP] Bobert14 is offline
.
Bobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Bobert14's Avatar
Joined: Jan 2011, #49266
Location: Oregon
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,815
Bobert14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_Humanity View Post
I opened my argument with the shittiness of the video's quality. It's a piece of crap.

I guess I could have opened with ridiculousness of the messaged content.

I do not work for NPS, nor do I have any affiliation with NPS. You posted your shitty video on the Internet for the purpose of feedback and you're getting some. If you want to make a statement, do it with professional quality work, equipment and compelling narrative. Don't take a dump on a plate and expect everyone to say what a great meal it is.

Some tips:

Cut the video in at least half. Preferably down to 5 minutes. Almost nobody has the attention span to watch a self-glorification 15 minute epic. Lose the host, he does nothing for your cause. Hire a professional editor. Trim your script to lose all the crybaby shit about how NPS has "billions" of dollars but can't open some OHV roads. Direct your audience to a website to learn more information about your cause in detail.

Right now your message is "We're losing our roads! Waaaaah!" delivered by a guy who looks like a child molester. Change your format to one which includes practical solutions, a call to action to raise awareness, and a method for people to become involved.

Jesus Christ. I just gave you like $1500 worth of advice an ad agency would charge you for.
I had nothing to do with the production of the video or the people who produced it. Your criticism of it and "tips" are worthless. Not trying to be a jerk about it, but I can't do anything about the vid's quality. Your comments need to directed elsewhere for them to have any worth.

I merely found the vid's content to be of interest and as someone who is in a forestry program and subsequently has a significant amount of exposure to the FS, I found its information to be fairly accurate and interesting. I passed it on for the purpose of the message, not a review on rottentomatoes for its lack of production prowess. If you take issue with the message then by all means debate that and present information for your argument so that I may learn from your prospective on the issue. That would be a post that is worthwhile.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:38 PM   #7
Bobert14 [OP] Bobert14 is offline
.
Bobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Bobert14's Avatar
Joined: Jan 2011, #49266
Location: Oregon
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,815
Bobert14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
Txs for the "readers digest" version. I work for the Dept of Interior, if the NPS has "Billions of $$$", that is news to me and to congress...

I'm not going to get into an argument, but the money that NPS has is public knowledge. Please look it up, it is not "billions"...
http://www.nps.gov/aboutus/budget.htm. Yes, they do have a billion dollar budget. The FS website puts their budget at $5+billion dollars. Focusing on the FS and not so much the NPS, anyway.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:39 PM   #8
Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 94B/76Y Medical Honorable Discharge
Name: Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
Joined: Dec 2011, #68618
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,780
The Driver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobert14 View Post
http://www.nps.gov/aboutus/budget.htm. Yes, they do have a billion dollar budget. The FS website puts their budget at $5+billion dollars.

Ever heard of earmarks? It's not just the money they get, is how that and what that money is budgeted for.

What I'm saying is, is that it's not like they have a hole bunch of "Monopoly" money to spend as they wish.


You have a beef with how and what the money is allocated for? Then talk to your congressperson, and keep getting involved!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #9
Senior Member
Mr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Mr. Brown's Avatar
Coast Guard: Active MK 02-09, ME 09-10, Reserve ME 10-11, ENS 11-Current.  Federal Civilian 10-Current
Joined: Jan 2010, #29540
Location: Orange County
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,104
Mr. Brown's Tacoma Gallery
I might have watched the video, but after the OP's reaction to honest criticism, I think it's not worth it.

Also, I had to giggle a little when he said that he had no control over production quality. While that is true, he did have control over posting it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:01 PM   #10
Bobert14 [OP] Bobert14 is offline
.
Bobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Bobert14's Avatar
Joined: Jan 2011, #49266
Location: Oregon
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,815
Bobert14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
Ever heard of earmarks? It's not just the money they get, is how that and what that money is budgeted for.

What I'm saying is, is that it's not like they have a hole bunch of "Monopoly" money to spend as they wish.


You have a beef with how and what the money is allocated for? Then talk to your congressperson, and keep getting involved!
Yes, I understand very little is discretionary. I do talk to my congressmen and part of being involved is public discussion, such as this...if the thread ever actually gets on topic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Brown View Post
I might have watched the video, but after the OP's reaction to honest criticism, I think it's not worth it.

Also, I had to giggle a little when he said that he had no control over production quality. While that is true, he did have control over posting it.
I'm fine with useful criticism. If the energy that was put into uselessly critiqing the vid had been put into a meaningful discussion of the message, we would all be wiser. Completely misses the point of the post to do otherwise. If the fervor for attacking vid production.was put into providing.info and dialogue about the issue, I would be happy!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:20 PM   #12
Senior Member
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Joined: Oct 2010, #44862
Location: Oceanside
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,406
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
You can thank Obama .They are also trying to take away our desert and have already took away some races .
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:26 PM   #13
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
derekabraham's Avatar
Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
Joined: Jul 2008, #7822
Location: Portland, OR
Age: 22
Gender: Guy
Posts: 32,747
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery



Yes, blame Obama for everything!




On a serious note, there was a gate blocking Brown's Camp when I went to TSF last week. Do they usually close it in the winter? There wasn't much snow up there...
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:34 PM   #14
Senior Member
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Joined: Oct 2010, #44862
Location: Oceanside
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,406
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
LOL . Yep blame B.Hussein Obama . We were just talking about the hammers yesterday . The military has been trying to get Johnson Valley for awhile . Have to enjoy it while we can . It could be gone soon .
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:41 PM   #15
Bobert14 [OP] Bobert14 is offline
.
Bobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Bobert14's Avatar
Joined: Jan 2011, #49266
Location: Oregon
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,815
Bobert14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekabraham View Post



Yes, blame Obama for everything!




On a serious note, there was a gate blocking Brown's Camp when I went to TSF last week. Do they usually close it in the winter? There wasn't much snow up there...
I've heard of it getting closed in the winter, but rarely. I've only seen trails gated, not the entire area.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:12 PM   #16
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
derekabraham's Avatar
Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
Joined: Jul 2008, #7822
Location: Portland, OR
Age: 22
Gender: Guy
Posts: 32,747
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah the actual entrance to Brown's was gated off.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #17
Bad decisions make great stories.
Lost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Joined: May 2010, #36774
Location: Seattle
Age: 36
Gender: Dude
Posts: 1,495
Lost_Humanity's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobert14 View Post
A very good film a friend forwarded to me. Figure I would post it here. Didn't see a landuse sub-forum like TTORA has.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobert14 View Post
I had nothing to do with the production of the video or the people who produced it. Your criticism of it and "tips" are worthless. Not trying to be a jerk about it, but I can't do anything about the vid's quality. Your comments need to directed elsewhere for them to have any worth.

I merely found the vid's content to be of interest and as someone who is in a forestry program and subsequently has a significant amount of exposure to the FS, I found its information to be fairly accurate and interesting. I passed it on for the purpose of the message, not a review on rottentomatoes for its lack of production prowess. If you take issue with the message then by all means debate that and present information for your argument so that I may learn from your prospective on the issue. That would be a post that is worthwhile.
I was responding to the VERY FIRST line of your post. It is, in fact, NOT a very good film and is in fact quite the opposite, and I explained why. I then proceeded to inform you as how to go about making it a "very good film" free of charge in order to help further the aims of your cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobert14 View Post
http://www.nps.gov/aboutus/budget.htm. Yes, they do have a billion dollar budget. The FS website puts their budget at $5+billion dollars. Focusing on the FS and not so much the NPS, anyway.
Again, the FS has a vast responsibility of asset management which they need to operate on what cannot be considered a revenue-generating model. $1-5 billion dollars isn't a great amount considering the cost of paved road upkeep on Forest lands alone. As others stated, if you have a problem with the way funds are allocated, contact your elected officials and produce awareness materials which are better-suited to your aims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobert14 View Post
Yes, I understand very little is discretionary. I do talk to my congressmen and part of being involved is public discussion, such as this...if the thread ever actually gets on topic.

I'm fine with useful criticism. If the energy that was put into uselessly critiqing the vid had been put into a meaningful discussion of the message, we would all be wiser. Completely misses the point of the post to do otherwise. If the fervor for attacking vid production.was put into providing.info and dialogue about the issue, I would be happy!
Again, refer to the highlighted section above.

Furthermore, I did go into detail about the inaccuracies and discrepancies in the video in the discussion about fire fuel management and cost dispersement.

So, in closing, here are the take-aways:

1.) Don't call the video "very good," because it's not.

2.) If you choose to post poorly-documented and produced collateral, be prepared for critique and examination.

It is unfortunate, because I actually DO have an interest in Forest Service Roads, dispersed camping and OHV trails. However, this type of propaganda makes me want to distance myself from those who seek to further these recreational activities -- merely from the methods in which the message is delivered. So, when you turn a potential ally into a critic solely upon the quality of your collateral, imagine the effects on those less inclined to pull apart the finer details. In most cases it is apathy, which does nothing to advance your goals.

I also possess a rational understanding of how budget allocations work on a Federal level and how the distribution of funds are weighted toward meeting the needs of the largest contingents of visitors and/or mandated regulations (i.e.; disabilities assistance, etc.)

So if you want to wax intellectual on the topics of Public Land Use, don't throw a steaming pile of shit into a room and not expect someone to come in and say "There's a steaming pile of shit in here!"

Or you can always go back to TTORA, where I guess they have gotten used to the smell of shit.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #18
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Alderleet's Avatar
Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Joined: Oct 2011, #65324
Location: Salty Hell
Gender: Guy
Posts: 1,130
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
The 15% cut across the board is affecting everyone. DOD, DOE, DOI, ect.

If anything, blame congress for not finding or combining enough brain cells to come up with a solution to the spending problem.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:47 PM   #19
Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 94B/76Y Medical Honorable Discharge
Name: Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
Joined: Dec 2011, #68618
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,780
The Driver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alderleet View Post
The 15% cut across the board is affecting everyone. DOD, DOE, DOI, ect.

If anything, blame congress for not finding or combining enough brain cells to come up with a solution to the spending problem.
Not all DOI is getting budget cuts... My bureau is getting some mad $$$$. In fact our audit/accounting staff will double within 18 months...
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:47 PM   #20
Bobert14 [OP] Bobert14 is offline
.
Bobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Bobert14's Avatar
Joined: Jan 2011, #49266
Location: Oregon
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,815
Bobert14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Furthermore, I did go into detail about the inaccuracies and discrepancies in the video in the discussion about fire fuel management and cost dispersement.
Where in the video did it mention fire fuel management being related to cost? What I got from the video was the impact the FS had on the forests vs. offroad use. Pulverizing acres of land while closing a road because, presumably its bad for the forest.

My experiences may be different from yours, but the costs of maintaining an OHV trail or even putting one in are not high, or shouldn't be high. And I speak as someone who has helped maintain and put in new OHV trails. The FS only occasionally provides machinery and personnel. The bulk of the work is performed by volunteers from various offroading clubs who provide much of the tools, labor, material, and machinery. The FS generally performs a supervisory role at best.

I understand they do have a limited budget that must be allocated toward the majority of users, who aren't OHV oriented. Just gets old when we are demonized and our needs are considered absolutely last. My personnel experience with them has given me the impression the issue does not lie solely with budgeting issues, but much more heavily on politics. Take a chill pill before you take issue with something. If you are this caustic with a potential ally, I can only imagine the damage you've done with people that are apathetic or actively work against us on land use issues. Honestly, any links you have to broaden my knowledge on the subject would be appreciated. I know actively fighting forest fires is exceptionally expensive, but the fuel reduction method used in the vid is hotly debated on the grounds it may not be the healthiest activity for a forest to suffer. There is also the argument that letting a forest burn is healthy for it. Any take on that angle of the issue?

As I said, I do contact my congressmen. However, there is nothing wrong with putting heat on different sources as well. The FS is hardly the only and most important problem, but it is one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekabraham View Post
Yeah the actual entrance to Brown's was gated off.
http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/t.../ride_c781.htm
Guess the campground is closed for the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
LOL . Yep blame B.Hussein Obama . We were just talking about the hammers yesterday . The military has been trying to get Johnson Valley for awhile . Have to enjoy it while we can . It could be gone soon .
Are you going to KOH? I'm heading down to Johnson Valley Wednesday night. Have a looong drive ahead of me haha.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2011 Access Cab closing door issue GaryS1964 2nd Gen. Tacomas 9 08-21-2013 06:37 PM
Guns now allowed in Va. forests KBToyota South East 0 05-11-2011 06:20 AM
First mod....DENIED Braino 2nd Gen. Tacomas 8 03-15-2009 04:47 PM
TSB Denied Krp2nite Suspension 10 04-29-2008 10:23 AM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.