Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

New florescent light bulbs

Old 02-06-2012, 05:29 PM   #1
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
New florescent light bulbs

So who's using them? I just put some in one of our light fixtures for a test run before having to upgrade. They claim $55 saving a year per bulb, this particular fixture has 3 in it. So far I like the lighting, seems good. Bulbs are supposed to last 6 years. Now these in this fixture keep going out pretty often but it is the most used light in the house. It's irritating to change since we have 12 ft ceilings and I have to drag out the step ladder every time. So my question is do they really last longer and if they really cut energy cost?
Old 02-06-2012, 05:40 PM   #2
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
I think it's hit or miss with them. For some reason the light over my stove shoots out all the time (incan) I replaced it with one and it did last longer but nowhere the time claimed. Swapped all bulbs out in the bathroom vanity, I've had a few to go out. So, it seems like a crap shoot. Savings, again who knows? At least now you can get them in warm color temperatures, I can't stand the shop light bright white ones of earlier.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:54 PM   #3
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4daddy View Post
At least now you can get them in warm color temperatures, I can't stand the shop light bright white ones of earlier.
Yeah, my parents bought some when they first came out and I couldn't stand them. They gave off a blue look. That's why I was afraid to try them. But the one's I bought (GE) look pretty much like standard lighting.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:25 PM   #4
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDawgfan View Post
Yeah, my parents bought some when they first came out and I couldn't stand them. They gave off a blue look. That's why I was afraid to try them. But the one's I bought (GE) look pretty much like standard lighting.
Yeah, my Dad still runs those white ones. Just pisses my off, I've even offered to buy him some new ones, "hell, there ain't nothing wrong with these".
Old 02-06-2012, 06:39 PM   #5
Trent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Trent's Tacoma Gallery
The cheap ones whine. I'm really sensitive to electronic noise, and they drive me nuts quickly.

I never noticed an improvement in my power bill.

They sure as heck don't last six years. The expensive ones either.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent View Post
I never noticed an improvement in my power bill.

They sure as heck don't last six years. The expensive ones either.
That's what I figured. But If they would at least last longer it would be worth it. I'm sick of changing the kitchen bulbs!
Old 02-06-2012, 08:12 PM   #7
Central Scrutinizer
LUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dennis
LUSETACO's Tacoma Gallery
I had one flicker and burn out just yesterday. When I went over to the lamp it smelled like burning plastic. Looked in and sure enough the base of the bulb was scorched and melted. Makes me a little worried now having these in my house.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:16 PM   #8
Senior NEWBIE
Tigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Isaac
Tigahshark's Tacoma Gallery
Do you mean the CFL bulbs? If you are they are bad ass!
Old 02-07-2012, 05:50 AM   #9
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I have them and have not been impressed. To the guys complaining about the white color, you can get daylight color ones that are much nicer and don't make you feel like you're in a warehouse. As far as the life of the bulbs, if left on and untouched, they will last for a very long time. Turning them off and on kills the life quickly (I know, perfect for households right?). I think they're a horrible idea especially because of all the crap in them when you need to throw them away. When I can afford it, I'm going to LED. CFL bulbs are crap and loose brightness from the first time they are turned on.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:01 AM   #10
Cybertronian Tacoma
TacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
TacomaPrime's Tacoma Gallery
check out consumer reports. They say that the home depot brand ones last the longest. I can vouch for that. I used to buy the cheapest ones, and the most expensive ones. of all of them, the home depot brand has lasted the longest. I have some in my living room that are going on 3 years.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:06 AM   #11
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
I'm using them until LED makes them obselete...........CFL are just more expensive and have bad crap in them for how long they don't last.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:10 AM   #12
fadippides is on a distinguished road
fadippides's Tacoma Gallery
I typically use the Daylight CFLs, the cheap ones tend to trigger migraines.

I have been replacing some G161/2 bulbs with LED, but they are stocked very well. If I had hard to replace bulbs I would be putting LED if light output wasnt a major concern.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:11 AM   #13
fadippides is on a distinguished road
fadippides's Tacoma Gallery
Forgot to add, if you want 100W bulbs you better stock up because they arent allowed to be manufactured anymore
Old 02-07-2012, 06:25 AM   #14
..Slingin' up mud and we're scarying off bunnies..
186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Charles
186000mps's Tacoma Gallery
I design custom lighting fixtures for new construction and high end homes. Often our fixtures are pretty high up and take ladders and two men to change. These are the bulbs we spec the most and dimmable too. Philips Ambient LED. Cheapest is at Home Depot.
They last a very long time and have a warm 2700K color.
Attached Thumbnails
New florescent light bulbs-espy-exec-003.jpg  
Old 02-07-2012, 06:34 AM   #15
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, LEDs would be cool if anything useful didn't cost 20-30.00 per bulb. I'd be needing to never replace any of those for 30 yrs before committing that much money for bulbs for my whole house. It'd be hard to even just start doing a few at a time at those prices.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:55 AM   #16
Taco Sauce
Yota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of light
Yota Toy's Tacoma Gallery
I have CFL in my entire home with the exception of the oven and the freezer. CFL rocks! I use only the daylight color, stay away from warm-white since it appears a yucky orange/yellow color like incandescent. I do look forward to the day when LED lights for the home becomes affordable.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:10 AM   #18
hellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rob
hellrazor004's Tacoma Gallery
What they don't seem to understand is a lot of people can't be around fluorescent lights...it can cause seizures, serious migraines, etc. Its not fun...I also don't like how on a cold day it can take forever to warm up.

LEDs are so damn expensive and I haven't found one that is actually bright enough to replace a regular 60W incandescent.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:12 AM   #19
A_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Medicaly Discharged 13M
A_Ninja_Racer's Tacoma Gallery
With in 3 months of living in my house I think every light in the house had burnt out So yeah I replaced them all with CFL's because I have had some that have lasted well over 6 years. 2 years later I haven't had to replace 1 light bulb. So far I'm saying totaly worth it.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:56 AM   #20
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
I replaced all my lights in my last apartment with cool white fluorescent bulbs. It did save money on the electric bill. I figured out the break-even point was about 18 months. They were still going when I left.

I tracked my electric bills after replacing them. SDG&E had historical billing and usage so I plotted it in Excel.

Another thing I did that helped a lot with the gas bill was putting in a cheap programmable thermostat from Walmart (about $40). You can set them for different temperatures at different times of the day. I set it up to heat the house just before I got home. Then at midnight, I let the temperature drop and set it to heat up 1/2 hour before I typically got up in the morning and then shut off again around the time I typically left for work.

That probably saved more than the bulbs did, but combined it saved quite a bit.

I think the problem fluorescent bulbs are the specialty bulbs (vanity mirror globes). They tended to go out much quicker.