Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Anybody know anything about Mattresses?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-08-2012, 05:19 AM   #1
Born in the Backwoods
kris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kris77's Tacoma Gallery
Anybody know anything about Mattresses?

I figured this forum was the best place to ask. You can information on anything on this site, from trucks, to spiders, to relationship advice, to building advice, music, whatever....lol...

This site is awesome.

I've been looking at mattresses for a few days now.

I have no idea what i'm looking for.

Any advice? Brand? Foam?
Old 02-08-2012, 05:22 AM   #2
takern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: marine corps
Name: Tanner
takern's Tacoma Gallery
i would say one with few to none blood, piss, and fecal stains would be a good choice. Also be sure to flip it over and look for knife/bullet holes or any indication that a wild animal is living inside that. Other than that, i have no idea because im rockin a mattress older than me still
Old 02-08-2012, 05:25 AM   #3
Born in the Backwoods
kris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kris77's Tacoma Gallery
Good advice there. I have a 20 yr old hotel mattress now. My parents knew the owner of a new hotel going in a long time ago and had him order one extra mattress. So when i left for college, i took it with me, now im 8 yrs out of college and still have it. You can literally wash your clothes on it its so bumpy. My back kills me every morning.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:29 AM   #4
Senior MoFo'ing Member
07SpeedwaySport will become famous soon enough
07SpeedwaySport's Tacoma Gallery
Get a Tempurpedic. I had a crappy $800 Costco one and started to sag and felt like crap after 3-4 years.

I upgraded to a king size temperpedic (the mid grade "lux" edition) and it was the best choice of my life. I would give up my truck before I gave up my mattress.
It is pricey, but if I had to buy another, I would buy this one again no matter if the cost was double.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:29 AM   #5
Geo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Justin
Geo Taco's Tacoma Gallery
It all depends on what you want. I've got a Tempur Pedic and will never buy a different bed, but they are pricey. I've got the middle firmness mattress in king size and it was somewhere around $3,000.

The other bed I've got is just a very simple Simmons pocketed coil firm mattress with a 2" memory foam slip on top from Kohl's. This set up ran me total ~$400-500 for a queen size.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:35 AM   #6
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
Serta perfect sleeper pillow top (Nolina) was on sale 399 in Nov. Best sleep Ive had in years.. Jim
Old 02-08-2012, 05:36 AM   #7
Easily Replaceable Member
elmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
elmo7's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Simmons with that memory foam crap on top. I dig the coils, but hate that foam. It's got memory all right - memory that I slept there, so it stays depressed. I'd buy the coils again; comfy and wife and I don't disturb each other when moving. I will never sign on for the memory foam again.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:39 AM   #8
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
went through 3 mattresses over the first 2 years of our marriage due to the mattress sagging in the middle and springs poking through the cloth....splurged on a tempur-pedic and been sleeping great ever since...ours was the tempur-pedic cloud and it ran mid 2000 range for a queen
Old 02-08-2012, 05:55 AM   #9
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OP,,, If you buy also get new frame and waterproof cover at cost before they start the paper work they have wiggle room on this stuff.. We got new frame for 30$ and large waterproof cover (For when the kids stay over) for 50$ they list for 80$ save what you can but you must ask. Just let them know that will close the deal for you!!! Jim
Old 02-08-2012, 06:01 AM   #10
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by river rat 69 View Post
OP,,, If you buy also get new frame and waterproof cover at cost before they start the paper work they have wiggle room on this stuff.. We got new frame for 30$ and large waterproof cover (For when the kids stay over) for 50$ they list for 80$ save what you can but you must ask. Just let them know that will close the deal for you!!! Jim
definitely...tempurpedics are warrantied for like 20 years, but some things are not covered unless the mattress is protected. if you spill something on it and it is absorbed into the mattress and starts to smell, then you are S.O.L. unless you can prove you were using a mattress protector of sorts. the one we bought, they threw in for $30 rather than the $75 it was priced and you cant even tell it is on the bed and it is completely waterproof.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:02 AM   #11
robstaco35 has a brilliant futurerobstaco35 has a brilliant futurerobstaco35 has a brilliant futurerobstaco35 has a brilliant futurerobstaco35 has a brilliant futurerobstaco35 has a brilliant futurerobstaco35 has a brilliant futurerobstaco35 has a brilliant futurerobstaco35 has a brilliant futurerobstaco35 has a brilliant futurerobstaco35 has a brilliant future

Name: Rob
robstaco35's Tacoma Gallery
Go to store and lay down on them, see what you like in your price range. Most places have a money back grantee if you don't like the mattress after a couple nights of sleeping on it.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:10 AM   #12
Hello, my name is Maser... and I'm an alcoholic
maser is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
maser's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kris77 View Post
I figured this forum was the best place to ask

cuz we sleep. ALOT. But first, a .

J/K... IMO, a good bed is worth the $$. One of your household investments that you'll get instant returns. Any of the above mentioned brands are of good quality.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:38 AM   #13
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
We went through that many years ago and its tough.

We'd been sleeping in a full-wave waterbed for about 10 years and wanted to get a regular bed. Loved that full wave waterbed..... it was just old and we wanted to try a regular bed.

The best thing you can do, is go to a variety of different stores and lay on the beds.

We looked at a Select Comfort bed...but there are baffles (hard thing) in the center of those things. Prevents cuddling and really limits the amount of room you have to stretch (without hitting a baffle). Didn't like it....

We settled on a king size Simmons Beautyrest. It has a deep pocket mattress with a thick (foam) pillowtop. It's been really nice - just doesn't compare to the full wave waterbed. That waterbed was heaven..... The only issue I have with this bed, is the 20+" deep pocket mattress. Getting sheets for these things is somewhat hard to come across. You almost always gotta order them online and its $$.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:45 AM   #14
A_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Medicaly Discharged 13M
A_Ninja_Racer's Tacoma Gallery

Not to Hijack this thread or anything but it seems a lot of you are rockingthe memory foam Tempurpeadic stuff here and I just have to ask. I have heard arumor that the people that buy these Mattresses and don't like them typicallycomplain that whatever part of the body is in constant contact with themattress usually gets very hot to the point they start to sweat so if youlaying on your back then typically your back would get hot and swetty. So myquestion then becomes have any of you guys ran into this issue or is itpossibly a mattress quality issue where a cheap mattress might cause this but amid to high grade mattress might not experience this. I know I'm always lookingfor the cold side of the pillow and I would hate to think I could spend thatkind of money on a mattress only to find out I知 going to wake up all hot andswetty every night. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:53 AM   #15
ระดับอาวุโส สมาชิกอาวุโส
dYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dyl0n
dYL0n's Tacoma Gallery
You spend more time a year in your bed than in your truck. Get a good one and be happy with it. That memory foam stuff is awesome.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:03 AM   #16
Born in the Backwoods

kris77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Ninja_Racer View Post
Not to Hijack this thread or anything but it seems a lot of you are rockingthe memory foam Tempurpeadic stuff here and I just have to ask. I have heard arumor that the people that buy these Mattresses and don't like them typicallycomplain that whatever part of the body is in constant contact with themattress usually gets very hot to the point they start to sweat so if youlaying on your back then typically your back would get hot and swetty. So myquestion then becomes have any of you guys ran into this issue or is itpossibly a mattress quality issue where a cheap mattress might cause this but amid to high grade mattress might not experience this. I know I'm always lookingfor the cold side of the pillow and I would hate to think I could spend thatkind of money on a mattress only to find out I知 going to wake up all hot andswetty every night. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

They actually have the memory foam infused with some kind of blue looking gel now that prevents that. It was kinda cool when we laid on it. Stayed cool. But with sheets on it, you probably couldn't tell anything.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:07 AM   #17
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Not to Hijack this thread or anything but it seems a lot of you are rockingthe memory foam Tempurpeadic stuff here and I just have to ask. I have heard arumor that the people that buy these Mattresses and don't like them typicallycomplain that whatever part of the body is in constant contact with themattress usually gets very hot to the point they start to sweat so if youlaying on your back then typically your back would get hot and swetty. So myquestion then becomes have any of you guys ran into this issue or is itpossibly a mattress quality issue where a cheap mattress might cause this but amid to high grade mattress might not experience this. I know I'm always lookingfor the cold side of the pillow and I would hate to think I could spend thatkind of money on a mattress only to find out I’m going to wake up all hot andswetty every night. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
I have noticed this 'hot' sensation with our foam pillowtop. Doesn't happen very often and I only notice it when I wake up in the middle of the night. I'm a cold person and can't sleep unless I'm ultra warmed up - so sweating is kinda normal for me (Husband hates it).

On the other hand - my husband never notices this 'hot' sensation and the man never sweats.....

The other thing I notice about the foam - is although it does conform to your body nicely..... the foam doesn't 'bounce back' quickly enough. When you turn over in the middle of the night....it takes some time before the foam conforms to your new position. You'll notice 'dips & sags' from the old position.

Just some of my own experiences.... (our bed is probably 5+ years old so it doesn't have this blue gel in it)
Old 02-08-2012, 07:11 AM   #18
NBHNC
Rusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rusty
Rusty 06 4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I got the tempurpedic paid for by the insurance a few years back because of my back problems
Old 02-08-2012, 07:14 AM   #19
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL

Quote:
Did not like the memory foam for that hot feeling,, The pillow top is soft and will not get hot.. Some good post in here on beds.. The best said is try lots of them we are all not going to like the soft one or a hard one what it comes down to is what feels good to you. Makes for a good day to get out of bed and not hurt somewhere .... Jim
Old 02-08-2012, 07:23 AM   #20
NBHNC
Rusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rusty
Rusty 06 4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
maybe they sweat easily I have never had that problem

Products Discussed in this Thread