1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Garage Floor Epoxy Coating Help

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by slimsdepot, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Feb 8, 2012 at 4:07 PM
    slimsdepot

slimsdepot [OP] slimsdepot.com

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    Hey guys,

Anybody here epoxy coat their garage? I'm trying to get some feedback on the types and brands out there.

I picked up a 2-coat epoxy from Home Depot (Behr brand) but want your opinions and feedback please.

2. Feb 8, 2012 at 6:47 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    I've been going back and forth on this for 2 years.
    Cement paint with prep or epoxy with prep.
    I know a shop that has epoxy coating with professional installation. Still lifted..

I figure if i use the cement paint and it lifted it would be easier to touch up.
    but that's just my mind thinking of the day it happens.

3. Feb 8, 2012 at 7:34 PM
    slimsdepot

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    Hmm I never thought of it like that. Now I need to figure if I should do paint now lol. :)

4. Feb 9, 2012 at 8:03 AM
    Spitz Stang

Spitz Stang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC TRD OR 4x4
    OME 885 / Dakar,5100's, 265/65-16
    I have never seen a garage done with epoxy or paint that didn't lift from hot tires.

This is why I used VCT for my garage. Costs just over $1/sq ft including glue and roller rental. I installed it in one day, and could drive on it two days later. It has been very durable and it looks cool.

NewFloor2_71ff85f541c57a5685cc9249b2def04e8229fbc2.jpgNewFloor_8cc7ddae32cfdb88744cbf691e7243c1036090fc.jpg

5. Feb 9, 2012 at 8:10 AM
    TacoFMS

TacoFMS Bubble bubble bubble pop

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Louisa County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Just a vehicle to take trash to the dump
    One or two things modded... Check out the build thread
    you may want to consider the U-coat system. got a couple buddies that did it to their shops. may have cost a lil bit more but looks fantastic and no bubbles or even trying to lift. one of them does A LOT of welding in his shop and the floor still looks great the other builds dirt track and drag cars, no telling how much oil and other stuff has been spilled on the floors not to meantion how many times he has come flying back in after taking "a hot lap around the neighborhood" to test out a new mod on a car..... or to just burn off the tires to make him feel better. I am very impressed and when i get my shop built this will be what i go with.

6. Feb 9, 2012 at 8:44 AM
    slimsdepot

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    What's U-coat? Might be worth the extra penny to not have problems. That VCT looks good but how much did it cost? My garage is same size just don't know the sq footage.

7. Feb 9, 2012 at 8:49 AM
    TacoFMS

TacoFMS Bubble bubble bubble pop

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Louisa County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Just a vehicle to take trash to the dump
    One or two things modded... Check out the build thread
  8. Feb 9, 2012 at 8:54 AM
    Aggie97

Aggie97 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner
    custom tan leather seats, bed track system bike rack, Vision Warrior wheels, smittybilt nerf bars, Extang BlackMax tonneau cover.
    I recommend H&C concrete stain. It's not epoxy or paint. The problem with epoxy is that moisture can get underneath and it can start to bubble up over time. Paint starts to chip or wear off over time. I've used H&C stain in two garages and no wear at all. I put two coats, and then one coat of clear coat (also H&C) and I can even pressure wash it and it looks like new again. I even had an oil spill and it wiped up completely. It adhears to the concrete instead of just coating it, and it repels any moisture.

I purchased it at Sherwin Williams. My brother who's in the commercial paint business is the one that recommended it.

9. Feb 9, 2012 at 8:55 AM
    Aggie97

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner
    custom tan leather seats, bed track system bike rack, Vision Warrior wheels, smittybilt nerf bars, Extang BlackMax tonneau cover.
    By the way...you can get H&C in any color you want...they'll mix it just like paint colors.

10. Feb 9, 2012 at 9:14 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    I did the rustoleum 2-part solvent based kit about a year ago. I haven't had any hot tire lifting. The only failure I have had is when I accidentally dripped some wood glue on the floor and let it dry, when I chipped the glue off, it took a spot of paint with it (maybe the size of a dime).

From past experience, solvent based is the way to go. The water based stuff won't hold up.

PREP PREP PREP! Go above and beyond their directions.
    Here are the steps I took:
    1. Blew out all the dust
    2. Pressure washed with an 1800 psi electric PW, then scraped up any glue, tape, paint etc with a putty knife.
    3. Scrubbed the floor with purple power degreaser, rinse thoroughly with the PW
    4. Etched the floor with muriatic acid then nuetralized with baking soda then rinsed thoroughly with the PW.
    4. Scrubbed with purple power again and rinsed thoroughly again
    5. Cleaned it using the cleaner/etcher that came with the kit.
    6. Rinse thoroughly with the PW a few times.
    7. Squeegeed all the water out.
    8. Setup 4 box fans in the garage blowing the air in a vortex then Let it dry for 24 hours.
    9. Follow directions and mix the paint, do your edges & sides first with a paintbrush, then roll the middle.

Here's a pic right after I finished.
    2011-03-21075122_4371f30ef5443c29da04256034f05c587dc933b3.jpg

I clean it every 3-4 months with some dawn dish soap and water using a deck brush then squeegee dry and it looks brand new. I think I may do the acrylic clear coat this spring on it just for added protection.

11. Feb 9, 2012 at 10:31 AM
    slimsdepot

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    Aggie was there a lot of prep work needed? I'm looking for a solution that doesn't require extensive prep like muruatic acid etching etc.

12. Feb 9, 2012 at 11:25 AM
    Spitz Stang

Spitz Stang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC TRD OR 4x4
    OME 885 / Dakar,5100's, 265/65-16

My garage is right at 400 sq ft. This is fairly standard for residential garages. The total cost for everything was around $450.

The prep is easier than paint/epoxy too. Basically just sweep, mop, let dry and start laying tile.

13. Feb 9, 2012 at 12:19 PM
    Aggie97

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner
    Hardly any at all. The first time I did it, it was with tan(ish) color, the second time, it was with a bright white. I wanted to brighten up the garage as much as possible so I did the floor white, and put up white peg board for walls (garage was unfinished).

I rinsed out the garage a couple of times and let it dry for a day or two. That was it. I literally rolled the stain (white mind you) over oil stains, and anything else staining the floor and two coats completely covered and brightened up the floor. I put a stuff called shark skin (gritty material) in with the clear coat to give more traction. Otherwise, if you have smooth floors, it will make them very slippery when wet. You just pour a little of the Shark Skim in the clear coat can and have them mix it for you.

I've had it on my floor for 6 years now, and floor holding up great. It's dirty right now but you can pressure wash to clean it and the stain holds up fine to it.

14. Feb 9, 2012 at 12:23 PM
    Aggie97

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner
    Total cost was about $120 for the H&C stain...

2 cans of color stain
    1 can of clear coat with Shark Skin added
    Roller
    broom stick handle

I'd buy/rent/borrow a good mask (not just the flimsy material ones) because this stuff is VERY strong in odor. Smell will last a day or two. To me, odor is way stronger than oil based Kilz to give you an idea.

15. Feb 9, 2012 at 12:31 PM
    Aggie97

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner
  16. Feb 9, 2012 at 12:46 PM
    slimsdepot

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    H&C sells a shield-crete epoxy coating system as well. Wonder if that's any good too.

17. Feb 9, 2012 at 1:09 PM
    Aggie97

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner
    Never used the epoxy. As a general rule, my brother said to not use epoxy if you have a detached garage as moisture will eventually cause it to start coming up. He said epoxy might work well in an attached garage with less moisture.

18. Feb 9, 2012 at 1:14 PM
    slimsdepot

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    Aggie do you have any photos of your garage floor?

19. Feb 9, 2012 at 1:15 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    This is my biggest concern. Especially with the plow dripping on it along with the cars during the winter.

20. Feb 9, 2012 at 1:34 PM
    Aggie97

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner
    That's why I like the stain. Obviously where I live, snow is not an issue but moisture certainly is with the amount of rain we get and the very high humidity here.

Products Discussed in

To Top