Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Parents - Christmas Ideas!! HELP!!

Old 12-06-2008, 08:10 AM   #1
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Parents - Christmas Ideas!! HELP!!

Let's hear 'em!!

For parents who already have 'everything' - what the heck do you get 'em for Christmas? My Dad's already taken care of, he's getting R/C plane related stuff. Now Mom...she's hard to buy for. I already buy her a subscription to *Teddy Bear* magazine (crafty stuff) and I've given her gift certificates to Michaels, Bed/Bath & Beyond, etc. But my gawd, she hasn't even finished spending the money on those gift cards from previous years. She loves Cats - and I've given her ever shirt/sweat shirt, shoes, slippers, etc with Cats on them. She doesn't really do much.... I bought her gaming books (crossword puzzles, etc.) She's 75 years old and in very good shape. Her & Dad ride their Goldwing all over the country and are in local motorcycle clubs. What the heck do you get her for Christmas?

Anyone know of any *girl* PS3 games (for a girl around age 8)?

Every year Christmas gets harder and harder.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:15 AM   #2
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
Ratatouille (E) - this culinary rodent takes the cake on any console. And, so Remy and gang deserve mention here (even though we featured him for the PSP). These Parisian tails run across your home's big screen entertaining little ones. The game encourages logic and problem solving all while adding in a few cooking tips. Gameprofamily's little girls give Ratatouilie five stars!
Need for Speed: Carbon (E10) - who would have thought that racing games crossed the gender lines. Perhaps racing queen Danica Patrick has brought a few female recruits over the lines. In any case, preteens and young teens alike will enjoy racing cars through these canyons. Need for Speed: Carbon tests agility and spatial acuity - skills that will challenge most girls. If you have a racecar fan in your house, she might love Need for Speed.
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (Teen) if your teenage girl enjoyed the Johnny Depp Pirate movies, she will thrill playing as the goofy pirate while she swashbuckles her way through many adventures on the high seas. And, the game's controls are easy enough to allow gamers to thrill in the fun. This teen version alludes to alcohol in the same way the film did. However, if the movie's okay for your young lady, this game will provide a story of fun, too.
Those are this gameprofamily's mom picks for the season. We would love to hear what games your kids open and which ones were worth the money. Stay tuned to gameprofamily for my "Love-it/Leave-it" games of the year.

Here are the top 3 games that showed up. they might be worth taking a look at.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:58 AM   #3
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
would she like this?

BUY HERE
Old 12-06-2008, 09:23 AM   #4
Go Vick ??? Go Birds !!!
Rtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rtrn2taco's Tacoma Gallery
A few years back I was brainstorming for a gift idea for my father. I had finally decided that a gray scale photo of the house he had grown up in would be a great idea. My brother and I went to the old neighborhood (where my father and me and my brothers also grew up) and snapped photos of the house. Being familiar with a utility pole on the curb out front of the house where he had hung several basketball hoops over the years with bunch of rusty nails and dilapidated plywood parts still attached after 40 yrs, we took a pic of the house with the pole in the fore ground. This may have been the greatest gift he had ever received as it hangs proudly in the entrance of home for all to see.

So maybe there is a home or special place in your mothers past that would make for a great photo. I know we as a family are proud of where we came from and know that has a lot of influence of who we are today, which makes it a special reminder of who we are.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:24 AM   #5
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Possibly something for the bike?
Old 12-06-2008, 09:27 AM   #6
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
My old stand by is always nice picture frames with family photos, places they've been, or an album with photos. Maybe you've done it already, but my mom loves as many as she can get. You can get the frames at Christmas tree shop, TJ Max, Kohls. Even Michael's.

Does she have nice gear for riding? Maybe some nice gloves or something she wouldn't buy for herself.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:01 AM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome gang!

My parents live in VA -so I could ask Dad if she needs anything for the bike.
My parents grew up in Canada, but I have a lot of relatives up there so I could ask them about some old family photos. That's a neat idea.

I remember one year - I bought an old VHS video from Hamilton Watch company and gave it to my mother-in-law for Christmas. Her father worked there as a young man (he's deceased). This video must have been from the 40's.... The biggest surprise was that her father was actually seen in the video. She cried.... It was incredible. I had no idea he was in the video.

Wow, I could really stir up some old memories eh?

I'll have to ask my sister if Bethy will like Ratatuoille - she might like that one.

Keep 'em coming gang!!
Old 12-06-2008, 10:13 AM   #8
David Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David Tarantino's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by neontrail View Post
would she like this?

BUY HERE
ok so maybe its me but why?
Old 12-06-2008, 12:21 PM   #9
Vegans taste like tree bark
schoonie is a name known to allschoonie is a name known to allschoonie is a name known to allschoonie is a name known to allschoonie is a name known to allschoonie is a name known to all

schoonie's Tacoma Gallery
Geritol and Depends Jk
Old 12-06-2008, 06:32 PM   #10
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
Gift certificate to a nice restaurant or perhaps a nice donation in there name to a good organization, i.e. local church or hospital, cancer ward, something along those lines.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:23 PM   #11
Vegans taste like tree bark
schoonie is a name known to allschoonie is a name known to allschoonie is a name known to allschoonie is a name known to allschoonie is a name known to allschoonie is a name known to all

schoonie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by concrete jedi View Post
Gift certificate to a nice restaurant or perhaps a nice donation in there name to a good organization, i.e. local church or hospital, cancer ward, something along those lines.

How about a donation in there names to the over-seas troops.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:55 AM   #12
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoonie View Post
Even better !
Old 12-09-2008, 02:06 AM   #13
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.personalizationmall.com/
Old 12-09-2008, 02:11 AM   #14
Sticks For Troops
AFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: (2T2X1)Air Force Rigger
Name: "Butters"
AFButters's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoonie View Post
Yea.. I loved gettin random care packages in Iraq.. It always felt good to get mail ..

If your interessted I can get you the address of a few of the guys from Pope that just got to Iraq last month...
Old 12-09-2008, 03:12 AM   #15
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09AFTacoma View Post
If your interessted I can get you the address of a few of the guys from Pope that just got to Iraq last month...
Do any of the guys care about having pen pals? I think that'd be neat....
Do you know how to get involved with that?
Old 12-09-2008, 07:37 AM   #16
Sticks For Troops
AFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: (2T2X1)Air Force Rigger
Name: "Butters"
AFButters's Tacoma Gallery
Last year when I was in Iraq... The school my Mom works at had a side project for the 5th grade classes to have all the students write letters to each of the 110 of us stationed at Balad.. I would say atleast 60% of the people wrote back to the kids.. sadly there were some that that didnt.

But I can email a few people and see if I can get the address to get the mail there.. And im sure if a few of you wanted to send a care package with a letter that you would get some responses in return.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:45 AM   #17
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I've taken up buying plants for my mom. I think that she likes gardening, but I won't be too upset if she kills them after a year.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:56 AM   #18
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
I've taken up buying plants for my mom. I think that she likes gardening, but I won't be too upset if she kills them after a year.
A year? Lucky woman!!

I'm lucky if shit lasts me one week!!

Ya think a 75 year old would enjoy a spa treatment or massage? It's almost like some people would be ALL for it while others would think its cheesy. Time to send Dad an e-mail.... Hell, he'll spill the beans in the process of trying to pawn her for feeler. (laugh...did I just say that?)
Old 12-09-2008, 08:01 AM   #19
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
A year? Lucky woman!!

I'm lucky if shit lasts me one week!!

Ya think a 75 year old would enjoy a spa treatment or massage? It's almost like some people would be ALL for it while others would think its cheesy. Time to send Dad an e-mail.... Hell, he'll spill the beans in the process of trying to pawn her for feeler. (laugh...did I just say that?)
she doesn't get bathed at the nursing home?
Old 12-09-2008, 08:24 AM   #20
lower management
trtripoli is on a distinguished road

trtripoli's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to trtripoli
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxymar00n View Post
My parents don't want anything from us but a card.

So I send gag gifts anyway. Dad's 71 & I poke fun of the 'old' people that act far from old. So I sent him this obnoxiously large remote control that Woot.com had a couple weeks back...
I got that for my parents from woot as well. It was a two for tuesday, so they got 2 of them.