Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Health Insurance

Old 12-06-2008, 08:46 PM   #1
Carolina Alliance
tarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
tarheelfan_08's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation Health Insurance

Ok guys I have a major question that I need a good answer to fast! A friends of mine's Health Insurance has just ran out(they stop taking care of you when you turn 20.....sucks I know) But they cant really afford good insurance cause they are in college! And idk what to do! I offered to help pay with whatever they get....cause you need insurance! I mean you never know when you could get hurt or sick or something! So guys please help me out so I can help them out! I think this would be the best Christmas present I could give!!!
Old 12-06-2008, 08:53 PM   #2
bremertaco is on a distinguished road
Navy: nuke machinist's mate
bremertaco's Tacoma Gallery
hey -- i think that some states have health-insurance plans for the low/no-income folks. (your friend may have to pay some percentage of his income, but he/she would get some basic coverage), or someone at his college student assistance / advisory office may be able to point him/her in the right direction.
best of luck --
Old 12-06-2008, 08:55 PM   #3
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Check out your local Farm Bureau. Here, they offer health insurance to members. Sometimes it's cheaper than going direct with the insurance company. Just an option to explore.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:57 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance
tarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

if yall have links to good place it would b a lot of help! I really appreciate it everyone this means a lot to me and them!!
Old 12-06-2008, 09:00 PM   #5
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Doesn't his college offer some sort of low-cost health insurance? Most schools do. I would check with the school's health services.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:01 PM   #6
Carolina Alliance

they are about to graduate and want be there much longer
Old 12-06-2008, 09:03 PM   #7
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Well, I would still check with them to see if they have other alternatives for people in his similar situation.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:11 PM   #8
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry man, I looked at the NC Farm Bureau and they don't offer health insurance. I should've looked before I posted. If your friends are young and healthy, some might say they'd be ok in the short term without insurance. At least until they have a job with hopefully a company health plan. It's a gamble, dangerous, and not ideal, but try hard to not get into any major accidents.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:12 PM   #9
Carolina Alliance

they have not had it for a year now!
Old 12-06-2008, 09:15 PM   #10
hud445 is on a distinguished road
hud445's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by humanoid View Post
Doesn't his college offer some sort of low-cost health insurance? Most schools do. I would check with the school's health services.
If he is a fuul time student it should. My parents covered me till 21 when I was in college.

Some questions:

What were his intentions prior to turning 20?

His employer does not offer ins?

His family can't help?

He is lucky having you as a friend to help out, & I agree you should always have ins.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:17 PM   #11
Carolina Alliance

They had it untill they turned 20 then the family insurance dropped them! The family does not have a lot of money and they are part time so the employer will not offer anything!
Old 12-06-2008, 09:21 PM   #12
hud445 is on a distinguished road
hud445's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by afd23a View Post
If your friends are young and healthy, some might say they'd be ok in the short term without insurance. At least until they have a job with hopefully a company health plan. It's a gamble, dangerous, and not ideal, but try hard to not get into any major accidents.
Probably your best bet. If you get seriously sick or hurt just go to the hospital. They can't refuse you. Hell, the U.S. gives away millions of dollars of free Medical care away daily to illegals.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:43 PM   #13
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelfan_08 View Post
Ok guys I have a major question that I need a good answer to fast! A friends of mine's Health Insurance has just ran out(they stop taking care of you when you turn 20.....sucks I know) But they cant really afford good insurance cause they are in college! And idk what to do! I offered to help pay with whatever they get....cause you need insurance! I mean you never know when you could get hurt or sick or something! So guys please help me out so I can help them out! I think this would be the best Christmas present I could give!!!
What would you consider affordable? Check on eHealthInsurance for some quotes. They have some inexpensive plans for college students (~$50/month for Blue Cross or Aetna).

Check out HHS too.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:56 AM   #14
Dirty White Boy
Marc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marc
Marc M's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Marc M
Get married..."Chuck and Larry"

My wife and I were re-enrolling in our benefits and my insurance covers "domestic partners"

Problem solved...

Marc M
Old 12-07-2008, 11:24 AM   #15
If it flies it dies!!
duckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
duckcmdr's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck with the search, I looked into insurance for me and my wife they wanted $900-1000.00 a month. I was self employed for 10 years and then i spent five days in the hospital and rang up like $75000.00 in bills. Then come to find out my wife and I made to much money for assistance but not enough to pay the whopping monthly premiums. Then you have the people that are worthless to society that have all the insurance they need.. Anyhow I had to close my business and get a job that i really don't care for but the benefits are good, and at least i still have a job in this rough economy. Even if they could just get an insurance that would cover major problems only would be good, I wish i went that way. I didn't think I would have a major issue I was young and healthy.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:40 AM   #16
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I had insurance through my school. Eligibilty depended on enrollment in the school (not graduation status.) After he graduates he needs to go find a full time job (even if it sucks) just to get the health insurance.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:45 AM   #17
Tacoma Newbie
moserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud of
moserjjx's Tacoma Gallery
i would look into a high deductible insurance plan (2500-5000) and setup a Health savings account (HSA). thats what i have and for single people who don't go to the doctor much, it works out good once you save enough to cover your deductible if needed