1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Would you help someone in a Broke down Taco?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by 03coma, Feb 14, 2012.

?

What would you do?

Poll closed Mar 15, 2012.
  1. Stop and Help

36 vote(s)
    24.8%
  2. Roll by and ask if help is needed

73 vote(s)
    50.3%
  3. Fly by and don't look back

13 vote(s)
    9.0%
  4. Only stop if it was a woman

23 vote(s)
    15.9%
  1. Feb 17, 2012 at 8:21 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon Musk Moderator

Member:
    I stop for women, women with children, and the elderly.

2. Feb 17, 2012 at 8:21 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Yep, you never know. If there's no cell service, I call 911 when I get the opportunity, just to make sure they aren't out there forever in the hot sun, cold, etc with no help.

I've only had one time where I actually felt bad about this. Elderly couple on a 90 degree day broke down on a curve. I actually made eye contact and wanted to stop, but it was too late, nowhere to pull off. I found a pay phone 20 miles later and called 911. Saw the highway patrol heading back the way I had come about 5 mins later. Wish I'd stopped for that one, but again, who knows.

Do the right thing, but be mindful of the world we live in.

3. Feb 17, 2012 at 8:28 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    When I was in college, I had a classmate walk in almost an hour late to class one day. He had stopped to help a lady change a tire. It was a classic, knight in shining armor story until he went to put the flat tire in the trunk for her. She went ballistic on him:eek: like, "what the hell are you looking for in my car" kind of thing. She called the highway patrol on her cell phone. He got back in his car, sat and waiting for them to show up. After hearing both sides of the story, the highway patrolman wrote her a ticket for making a false report or something like that.:D I guess he kind of won that one.

4. Feb 17, 2012 at 8:38 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    Not when I'm off-duty

I have no interest in putting myself in a vulnerable position to get robbed/killed because someone else failed to properly maintain their vehicle

5. Feb 17, 2012 at 8:40 PM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    was driving down the 5 from Norcal to Socal once, and saw a hispanic male stopped my the freeway with a broke mustang. I was with my buddy, so I stopped and asked him wats up. Turns out he ripped his serp belt and needed a new one, so I asked him if he wanted a ride to the next gas station and he said yea. I told him to get in the front pass seat, and my buddy sat right behind him ready to do whatever.

Turns out the guy wanted a ride to autozone, about 20 miles off the freeway. I said hell, no dropped him off at a gas station, and left.

Looking back, we probably fuck the guy over cuz he said he had a buddy coming to his car to help out anyways. ohh well.

6. Feb 17, 2012 at 8:49 PM
    billman899r

billman899r Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 PRERUNNER SR5 4X4 3in LIFT 33in tires
    3 inch lift and 33 inch tires, billet grill
    i've never seen a tacoma broken down

7. Feb 17, 2012 at 8:58 PM
    Tacoma831

Tacoma831 Member

Member:
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Sport 4x4
    OME 886 Coils, OME Shocks, OME Dakars, Snug Top, De-Badged, ARB Bullbar, XRC8 Winch
    x2...and no

8. Feb 17, 2012 at 9:18 PM
    01TacoBuz

01TacoBuz Well-Known Member

Member:
    In the woods
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma SR5
    K&N drop in filter, URD rear simulator, Deck plate mod/home made CAI, No rear cat, MagnaFlow muffler
    Nope I wouldnt

But I dont recall ever seeing anyone in a Tacoma brokedown

9. Feb 17, 2012 at 9:29 PM
    186000mps

186000mps ..Slingin' up mud and we're scarying off bunnies..

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma V6 4WD
    Bilstein 5100's, Toytec front adjustable coilover kit, Exporear leafs, Fox resi rears, Slotted & Drilled front rotors, 33x12.50 BFG ATs on Outlaw II 15 x 10s, Bushwacker cutout flares, K&N cold air intake with aluminum sheathing water baffles, ARB bumper with XD9000 winch with wireless remote, IPF 900XS lights, Flowmaster cat-back exhaust, Rhino bed liner, UWS gullwing toolbox with tools and recovery gear. 48" Hi-Lift Jack secured under toolbox.
    Here in Vermont, maybe its 'cause I live in a rural area where everyone knows each other, and helping your neighbor out is the code around here, yes I would help.

With that said, When I lived in Chicago, where nobody gives a shit about anyone else and you are likely to be a victim of a rouse, I'd be much more cautious.
    I have stopped to help fix flats before there though.

10. Feb 17, 2012 at 9:32 PM
    mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 First I derp.. then I herp

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    93 Pick up 4x4 (sold), 10' Mazda 3
    I don't trust many people today honestly. The last time I helped someone was in the parking lot of a play center. Lady had her baby and 5 year old and it was winter time and she had a dead battery so I let her put the baby in the warm car while we got her car jump started. Time before that, a guy slid off the highway in his mustang in the snow. There was already someone there helping but wasn't getting very far so I stopped with my truck at the time and helped tug the guy out.

Otherwise, I just keep driving which kind of sucks because I know if I were stranded, I wouldn't mind some help... you just cant trust people these days.

11. Feb 17, 2012 at 9:36 PM
    lbhsbz

lbhsbz Well-Known Member

Member:
    If a Tacoma is broke down on the side of the road....you know it's a trick. Toyotas don't break down

12. Feb 17, 2012 at 9:41 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    what if it was a 1st gen (or a 2nd gen) and they had a tacomaworld.com sticker? lol

also if i new the person i would stop if i was not busy or on my way some wear. around here(i’m not in the city) it’s kinda what people do. people know allot of other people.

13. Feb 18, 2012 at 9:15 AM
    TACOMABOSS

TACOMABOSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 SR5 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s, Toytec AAL, Deck plate mod, Hella 500ff's, Sportsman Camo seat covers, Total Chaos 1" diff drop, JVC stereo, Painted bumpers and grille, Custom grille insert, HID projectors, Black spray paint
    X2

14. Feb 18, 2012 at 9:29 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon Musk Moderator

Member:
  15. Feb 18, 2012 at 10:43 PM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    My Taco currently has no stickers, not even those (the advertising) put on by the dealer, so that certainly leaves me out.

16. Feb 18, 2012 at 11:24 PM
    amain

amain Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Anacortes, Washington USA
    Vehicle:
    07 SC TRD FJ - The Black Lemon
    Fender Cracks
    Depends on the situation and gender. Doesn't matter about the type of rig.

17. Feb 18, 2012 at 11:27 PM
    lil J

lil J Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacen
    Louisville
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma 4wd V6 Horizon Blue
    Old Man Emu Suspension
    taco's break down???

18. Feb 18, 2012 at 11:36 PM
    bethes

bethes Señorita Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Tulsa/Sand Springs, OK
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 TRD Off Road
    Tacomas break down?

I was raised out in the middle of nowhere, when you're up in the mountains and 20 miles from anything, driving past someone could literally be a death sentence for them. If you're uncomfortable you might only crack the window and ask if you can call highway patrol for them, but you don't drive past. My dad did both volunteer and professional Wildland Fire/Search & Rescue and a couple of times had the unenviable task of searching for someone in the mountains all night only to deliver a body to their family after the person succumbed to the elements. And he's found several people very, very cold but alive in their broken-down vehicles.

Hundreds of people risk their lives to bring missing people in those situations home. So if I can take a couple extra minutes to make sure the person is ok and call highway patrol to avoid that, I absolutely will. It might save more than one life.

Edit: In town, they are on their own.

19. Feb 18, 2012 at 11:38 PM
    Bishop2Queens6

Bishop2Queens6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 700# springs Front Shocks JBA UCA's Wheeler's Offroad Superbump Front Bump Stops Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 4"+ Rear Shocks AllPro Expo Rear Leaf Pack Timbren Rear Bump Stops ARB Front Bumper @Shmellmopwho Rock Sliders w/ Kickout RCI Aluminum Front Skid Plate Prinsu Roof Rack Roll-N-Lock Tonneau Cover CBI Ditch Light Brackets Cali-Raised LED Ditch Lights Cali-Raised Amber Fogs Cali-Raised Flush Mount LED Pods
    only if they had a TW.com sticker on their truck I would.

20. Feb 18, 2012 at 11:39 PM
    KalamaKid

KalamaKid Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Oregon
    same shit as everyone else
    I'd help a fellow Tacoma owner if he's stuck in the woods or something. Around here meth heads will play "broke" and jack ur shit and shoot you for $20. Depends how sketchy they look. Even deep in the local National Forrest you have to be really careful. Completely normal looking white dudes have huge pot grows hidden in some interesting places and you really have to watch yourself. Some people have a secrete they really don't want out.

Products Discussed in

To Top