1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gun holsters and women

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by SCB, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Feb 15, 2012 at 6:33 PM
    SCB

SCB [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kala (Sarah in hawaiian, no not hawaiian)
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    Will buy Used Tacoma or Tundra
    Okay, so I've found a few forums about guns. Ladies, Chicks, Gals, hi. I want input from you especially (if you happen to find this thread ;)) about gun holsters you use for concealed carry. I found this website called ultimate concealed carry. I watched the videos on youtube, and whatnot, and haven't made up mind on how to carry day to day. The biggest issue I have is wearing a dress. Now This may be a fashion no-no, but I wear some leggings or pants underneath my dresses in the winter, and To heck if I'm flashing anybody in the summer (wear some capri leggings or yoga pants then). Most of the time though, I HATE DRESSES. So that makes it just a bit easier to wear some concealed holsters.

So which ones do you, or gentlemen, do you wives, find the most comfortable?

Would love to know. Any ladies also own scotte vests? Those are expensive but I did contact them, and they did say that two of their travel vests for women would work well for concealed carry and they are working hard for more options for women.

And also, just general advice here, would it be better to buy the holster before a gun purchase? I have amended my concealed carry options to include a Taurus 380 in addition to a Ruger LCR 357 (I said 38 before, I really meant the 357), because deep conceal carry is what I am into, but I want something with enough power to stop a person, and enough accuracy. I have also heard of the Khar around the same size a 380. Any gun easy enough to work with after a good amount of practice pulling the...um...Technical name escapes me. Not trigger...um. Okay I'm new to the gun world. :confused: So just bare with me. Got lots of questions. I think I may need to go look up some definitions, and parts of the guns, and what not. I know lever, and trigger, and magazine already, but, well its where you cock the gun, to make sure its empty, or that it has a bullet in it, ready to fire. I think cock the gun is the phrase, but what is the part called.

Please bear with me. Any help would be appreciated. :)

2. Feb 15, 2012 at 6:47 PM
    Tigahshark

Tigahshark Senior NEWBIE

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Tint Weathertech floor liner, weathertech window visor Roll n lock tonneau cover Rubber bed mat Smoked license plate covers
    Its a good idea to buy a holster after your gun purchase cause you never know what kinds of attachments you will end up putting on your piece.

3. Feb 15, 2012 at 6:57 PM
    SCB

SCB [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    Well I'm not sure I would make changes to the piece. I kind of like the idea that if I'm buying a gun, the gun I get should be good enough to shoot. Plus, on one of the revolvers I am getting, I am not going to be changing the grip, because I already know it fits nicely into my hand. So in that case, would it matter. But hmm, maybe I should buy the gun first, just so I know the holster can fit the gun. And if it doesn't send it back. So I guess I will stick with that. Thanks!

Now, any one experienced with shooting a 380? Can you tell me about them? Hmm, I guess its late in about half the country. But here I am wide awake.

4. Feb 15, 2012 at 6:59 PM
    Tigahshark

Tigahshark Senior NEWBIE

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Tint Weathertech floor liner, weathertech window visor Roll n lock tonneau cover Rubber bed mat Smoked license plate covers
    Well if your not going to change stuff or add stuff then it wouldnt matter, when you do get your set up post it up here or in the guns section.

5. Feb 16, 2012 at 10:18 AM
    SCB

SCB [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    So I still ask, I have done research, and will do more. But what is like shooting a 380? How accurate is it? One of the reasons I ask, is one of the holsters I'm interested in is fit for a 380 and not larger. Which is fine with me, because I don't want to carry around a heavy gun. The other holster I'm interested in can carry the Ruger LCR revolver I want.

So tips, please on how these things shoot.

6. Feb 16, 2012 at 10:18 AM
    SCB

SCB [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    So I still ask, I have done research, and will do more. But what is like shooting a 380? How accurate is it? One of the reasons I ask, is one of the holsters I'm interested in is fit for a 380 and not larger. Which is fine with me, because I don't want to carry around a heavy gun. The other holster I'm interested in can carry the Ruger LCR revolver I want.

So tips, please on how these things shoot.

7. Feb 16, 2012 at 10:30 AM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
  8. Feb 16, 2012 at 11:07 AM
    PRBulldog36

PRBulldog36 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2006 PreRunner SR5 TRD Off Road
    Bilsteins 5100's X4 front set at 2.5 and rear AAL,BFG Rugged Trail T/A P265/65R/17, Warrior 375 17X8 Wheels with Gorilla locks,Black Billet Grille top and bottom and replaced Toyo emblem with Dallas Cowboys Star by MetalMiller, Vent Shade window louvers and hood bug shield, Fog light anytime mod,Dome light Mod,Blue interior LED's, Six inch Black Chrome billet antenna,Firestik CB Antenna, Cobra 75 CB, 12Vt/DC outlet back of Center Console, CB external speaker, Sirius Satellite Radio, Westin tube step up bars (Chrome), Tinted windows (legal), Eyebrow on windshield (Limo),Leather arm rest mod,HID H4's(fog), HID plug and play 8000, Tailgate theft prevention mod and Tailgate Pop-n-Lock, Trailer hitch brake light,Garmin GPS Dashboard Mount, Baja Lights on the rear bed rail, In Bed Mt Bike carrier, Tail gate extender, N-Fab light bar with Four Hella 500's, Fold down antenna,WeatherTech digital floor mats, mount,Kenwood head unit, Polk Audio 6X9,Two 12 ' Subs MTX, Kenwood Excellon 5 1/4, Ke
    Don't worry about a holster right now. The important thing is to find a weapon that fits your hand that you can control and shoot accurately. Find a shooting range in your area that rents a variety of weapons. Every gun feels different in anybody's hands. What may feel great for me may be terrible for some one else. After you have selected and purchased a weapon then start shopping around for a holster.

9. Feb 16, 2012 at 11:12 AM
    Racer X

Racer X Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser
    I did the whole holster hunting for concealed carry a while back. I went with the IWB and shoulder holster. I know that there are many different options, but I would get my handgun first. Most holsters are made to fit specific models.

10. Feb 16, 2012 at 11:15 AM
    gooch14

gooch14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2011 Blk DC Taco SR5 4x LB
    Bestop, Child Seats, petrified french fry, dog hair, empty Mtn Dew cans cracked windshield, scratches.
    Highnoon tuckable IWB holsters are nice, real leather and steel and comfortable.

11. Feb 16, 2012 at 2:56 PM
    SCB

SCB [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    Went to the gun shop today, haven't bought anything yet. But settled on a sig as a semi-auto because I could really use it, it wasn't so stiff being new, and I am buying the gun as is, not going to change much, it felt nice in my hand, with no bullets, so I figure it would be comfortable with bullets. Also I found the Walter P22 was a great gun too (at a very good price, so, may get that one later down the road too). I still love the Double Action LCR revolver 357, because it can hold both 38 and 357, and fits nicely. Heavier then the Double Action 38 Special so recoil won't be too bad. I also tried a holster for it. The TAGUS IWB was great, but I thinking something without a clip. I don't wear belts much. And my shirts are normally a bit looser (unless its my blouses, those are a bit snugger). I also tried the North American Arms Mini 22. I like that little gun. I think I may buy it as an additional back up gun, or a gun that I can hide on my person when carrying a bigger gun is not an option. I would prefer a tiny little holster and had a funny little though of using a tiny mag case for the thing. It really did catch my eye. And a gun, is a gun, is a gun. In a self defense situation i am going to be close enough to the guy. Though I probably would use it just as a back up gun, on a tiny ankle holster or something like that.

Hehe, I thought about the flash-bang holster. I may try it at some point. It really isn't that much. I also saw their deep conceal hide it holster. Which I want to try as well. Keeping the holster prices below 100 dollars is currently what I am looking for and I got a better idea today, with trying a couple on, then just looking at them online. I mean one of the ones I did try on was 14 dollars.

12. Feb 16, 2012 at 6:08 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    YouTube the crossbreed supertuck. Its under $100 and don't bother paying extra for the combat cut. I wore mine for a few weeks and got it just right and took a razor blade to it and cut off some excess to make it smaller/lighter. Super comfy and conceals great!

13. Feb 16, 2012 at 6:25 PM
    takern

takern Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    Deckplate mod, sliders, uniden cb, toolbox, dakar leaf pack, in search of coilovers, 255/85 16 bfg m/t waiting to go on
    like everyone else said buy the gun first because most holsters are fit for the gun and universal holsters never fit anything quite right. I actually use a JGM holster right now and it is great and pretty inexpensive. I don't want to use the word cheap because the holster is of very good quality. I like it because it is very simple.

As far as your questions for recoil and such, a 380 is very manageable. But shoot as many as you can before you decide what you want. a 357 has a pretty mean recoil and if you are carrying it will probably be a smaller frame which will make it worse. I could go on and on all day about the caliber debate but just remember a well placed .22 will do a whole lot more than a 45 miss.

Be sure to check out the guns and hunting section on the forums. there is plenty of info and opinions on carrying in there.

14. Feb 16, 2012 at 6:36 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
    this chick here does a ton of guns, gear, and holster reviews - catered to women mainly... check out her youtube videos...
    http://www.faliaphotography.com/

15. Feb 16, 2012 at 6:53 PM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    From the sound of it you haven't actually shot any of them yet so take his advice and spend the 100-150 dollars to shoot a few guns and make sure you are comfortable with it before you buy it.
    I was just about to link this.

About the .308 for me it isn't bad I'm very conformable shooting just about any caliber weapon but I'm also 6'1" 250lbs. Do you have any training with guns? If not you NEED to go take a class, at least a safety class which your local DNR will provide for you for $0-$15. I'm assuming though that you have a ccw training and license if needed in your state, but you can never have to much training with a gun and no substitute for proper gun safety.

16. Feb 16, 2012 at 6:56 PM
    SCB

SCB [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    Oh I plan to go out and test fire guns from a range that rents. Don't know of any though in my area. Still looking. I live in Eastern Idaho.

I am definitely going to buy the guns I feel comfortable with. But with me ease of use of the gun was my first obstacle. I found those guns I listed to be the best in ease of use area. So that is checked off. Also I did have some worries about IWB holsters, that I myself needed questions answered. If I'm going to be carrying the thing around, it needs to be comfortable. So trying it unloaded with a holster in the store, was the best option rather then just internet browsing.

I also plan to take a safety class too. Just need to get other things situated before I do.

My husband has some experience in shooting, and my father-in-law has many different types of guns, plus trains to use them regularly being in the Air national guard. So I think on training I may also use my Father-in-law, once I shoot these guns at the range.

I thank you for your concern, and tips.

17. Feb 16, 2012 at 7:01 PM
    Warhorseforever

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    Good you can never have to much training. I personally have around 400-500 hours in a class room or on a range of some sort shooting and learning about handling many different guns in diffrent mock situations, and countless hours plinking, hunting, or shooting clay pigeons.

18. Feb 17, 2012 at 12:15 PM
    SCB

SCB [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    Well, I can not find a range that rents guns. I do not personally know a person except my father in law, who owns guns, and my father in law lives in Washington. Road Trip may be in order when I can take a vacation, at this point though that is not an option. So I may just wait a little bit. I have however been watching safety videos online, as the best substitute right now. Learning how the particular guns I'm interested in work, how to clean it, take it apart, put it back together. Just different questions are being answered right now by tutorials on youtube. Some tutorials are better then others, but I have found the best I could. Plus the websites of these guns have videos too.

So I am learning slowly. Yes I know though, nothing beats actual safety classes, and actual firing practice, but with my situation, this is the best I can do right now.

19. Feb 17, 2012 at 7:09 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
    another good resource online is go here, click on "video library" - lots of short vid segments all everything from ammo to concealed carry...
    http://www.guntalk.tv/gtv/library.p...=undefined&cache=Fri Feb 17 22:08:21 EST 2012

20. Feb 17, 2012 at 7:25 PM
    Warhorseforever

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:

Products Discussed in

To Top