Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Craigslist Scam.. What to do??

Old 02-17-2012, 01:48 AM   #1
AZtacoma05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZtacoma05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZtacoma05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZtacoma05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZtacoma05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZtacoma05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZtacoma05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZtacoma05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZtacoma05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZtacoma05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZtacoma05 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Colin
AZtacoma05's Tacoma Gallery
Craigslist Scam.. What to do??

So I listed my roof rack on Craigslist the other day and that evening got an email through Craigslist from someone asking if it was still available, I replied that it was. Next day I get another email from "Mrs Elizabeth Benson" talking about how shes looking for a rack for her sons birthday (her son supposedly lives in my area) but that she was out of town so couldn't come to look at it but wanted to buy it. She said she wanted to send me a check and have someone (I assumed her son) come and pick it up. In any case I got this email at work and wanting to sell it I sent her my name and address and told her once the check cleared in two weeks she could have it picked up.

After thinking about it a bit I thought it all sounded a little too weird so google her name, Liz Benson along with "scams" and found basically duplicate emails ect.from similar Craigslist scams run by someone using the same name (fake I assume).

So I get another email from her saying shes sent the check via FedEx overnight but her secretary screwed up and sent the moving fees along with the 500 for the rack and that she hopes she can trust me with the extra funds until I can get it back to her.

So basically there is a fake check in the mail to me right now and I assume shes going to try to get me to wire or money gram her back the extra money.

I'm hoping she sends me some kind of information about how to get the money back to her then I have her info along with the forged check.. question is what to do with them.. will the cops do anything? I kind of doubt it I found atleast 15 different people online who had the same scam run on them with someone using the same name and email address.

Sorry that got kinda long.. any ideas?
Old 02-17-2012, 01:52 AM   #2
Banned
4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
4x4jeep's Tacoma Gallery

Cash the fake check and don't respond to emails
Old 02-17-2012, 02:02 AM   #3
AZtacoma05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZtacoma05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZtacoma05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZtacoma05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZtacoma05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZtacoma05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZtacoma05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZtacoma05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZtacoma05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZtacoma05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZtacoma05 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Hahaha well apparently banks frown upon that and hold the check casher responsible for the funds
Old 02-17-2012, 02:22 AM   #4
You're no good to me dead
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
I'd call the local pd and ask them, tell them whats happened and maybe someone from cyber crimes can look into it...
Old 02-17-2012, 02:39 AM   #5
Chief Pal Guy
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletToothTony View Post
I'd call the local pd and ask them, tell them whats happened and maybe someone from cyber crimes can look into it...
You could try that ... but don't know how far they'd get ... this stuff is so rampant.

I got sucked into the same type of thing a few years ago...computer generated check on what turned out to be a closed account. We didn't attempt to cash it, but my wife has a friend who just happened to work for a local branch of the same bank the check was generated from; she researched it for us. I think my wife turned it over to our local police, but we never heard anything back. Got a few emails after the fact threatening a bunch of BS ... emailed back that I would do nothing until they called me personnaly and talked to me...numbers they left me always went to a voice mail. After that I put there email address on my junk sender list and forgot about it.

Honestly, my advice is to shred the check when it arrives and forget about. Set anything from their email address to delete automatically, and block their phone number. If you ignore them, they'll go away and look for an easier target.

That's my story and advice FWIW.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:40 AM   #6
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
I have had emails like these too. Just delete and ignore.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:40 AM   #7
jofixer is one of the sharper tools in the shedjofixer is one of the sharper tools in the shedjofixer is one of the sharper tools in the shedjofixer is one of the sharper tools in the shedjofixer is one of the sharper tools in the shedjofixer is one of the sharper tools in the shedjofixer is one of the sharper tools in the shedjofixer is one of the sharper tools in the shedjofixer is one of the sharper tools in the shedjofixer is one of the sharper tools in the shedjofixer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: joe
jofixer's Tacoma Gallery
Don't waste yer time. read craigslist list of scams. Your policy to anybody should be cash and carry ONLY. Then if you are smart you have yer buddy with a loaded shotgun (conspicuously in the background) waiting for any shenanigans. These are bad times.....
Old 02-17-2012, 09:15 AM   #8
Ya I figured there wasn't much to do.. Just seems crazy that someone is forging checks and no one will do anything about it hah.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:24 AM   #9
nomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shed
nomad's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams
Old 02-17-2012, 09:25 AM   #10
OffRdn916 is on a distinguished road
OffRdn916's Tacoma Gallery
OEM rack??
Old 02-17-2012, 09:30 AM   #11
Shake and Bake
4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jefferson
4wd Boss's Tacoma Gallery
wow DO NOT attempt to cash that check. the bank will immediately recognize this and the fraud unit will have you detained and questioned until authorities sort it out. you are asking for trouble if you don't alert authorities. also, ignoring this situation will not make it go away. contact police and bank over phone to resolve the matter so that your name is not associated with the fraud scheme.

What you need to do upon receiving the check is alert the bank of a potential scam over the phone and proceed to follow their advice.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:30 AM   #12
Stop staring at me swan!
tacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tacoman15's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4jeep View Post

Cash the fake check and don't respond to emails
You can go to prison for doing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZtacoma05 View Post
Hahaha well apparently banks frown upon that and hold the check casher responsible for the funds
Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletToothTony View Post
They aren't gonna do shit unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeesnob View Post
I have had emails like these too. Just delete and ignore.
This is the best solution.

OP I had the same exact thing happen to me when I was selling some stuff on Craigslist too. I listed the item at $150. Well when I finally got the check it was for $1500. And I was like hell yeah this is amazing. Well then she said to send the remaining balance back to her via Western Union and then I knew it was a scam.

Did the emails contain a lot of grammatical errors? Mine looked like a 5 year old had written them. After doing a looking research, I found out that people in the middle east (I think) are doing scams like this all the time. What happens is when you send the money back via Western Union they get it immediately and can pick up the money from any Western Union location and when you go to cash the check it won't clear and you will can also wind up in huge legal trouble for trying to cash a fake check.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:38 AM   #13
jammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant future

Name: James
jammdogg's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to jammdogg
My wife just got a check to be a "Mystery Shopper" for $1900. They say cash the check, go shop, and send 1400 via Western Union. Funny, the check was from a bank in Detroit, and would have been cashed against Chicago Title. We called the bank. Check is real, but is fraud. They wanted us to save all of the information, and contact Secret Service.

Am I correct in that if the fraud crosses state lines and is more than once, it is racketeering?

James
Old 02-17-2012, 10:22 AM   #14
First of all I never said I was going to cash a fraudulent check lol.. Second I found scams listed on fraud alert websites going back to 2008 using the same name AND same email so I'm assuming the cops aren't doing anything. I'm going get her info for the money gram and THINKING about taking it to the cops.. or the secret service (they handle cash and check fraud I believe). Just wondering if it's even worth the hassle because if they aren't going to do anything I'm not going to worry about it..

How much information do you have to give for a money gram? will they have to use a real name etc?

I have no problem spending some time filing this with the proper authorities because its f*cking annoying that these people trying to take advantage of others but I don't want to waste my time if they're going to do nothing.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:23 AM   #15
jsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 6th Motor Transport Battalion
Name: Jeff
jsmarine's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe just screw with the scammer and tell her to put a stop payment on the check she mailed you, and for her to just use western union and send YOU cash for the item. She what she says then...
Old 02-17-2012, 10:25 AM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffRdn916 View Post
OEM rack??
No its a basket for carrying a full spare, hilift, shovel/axe and has 4 hellas on it.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:26 AM   #17
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammdogg View Post
My wife just got a check to be a "Mystery Shopper" for $1900. They say cash the check, go shop, and send 1400 via Western Union. Funny, the check was from a bank in Detroit, and would have been cashed against Chicago Title. We called the bank. Check is real, but is fraud. They wanted us to save all of the information, and contact Secret Service.

Am I correct in that if the fraud crosses state lines and is more than once, it is racketeering?

James
No. Racketeering is engaging in a false business (or racket). For example, setting up a "protection" service. If you don't pay the protection, you are victimized by the people who offered the service.

OP, If I accept checks, I attempt to cash them at the issuing bank. That way you're not subject to a returned check fee. In this case though, it's obvious fraud.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:27 AM   #18
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
It's a washed check don't try to cash it. If you do and it goes through you're just screwing some innocent person out of money and causing them a lot of headache.

Just call the local PD, not 9-1-1, and they'll tell you how to handle it.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:37 AM   #19
We'll see if it even comes.. if it does I'll go from there. She said she sent it FedEx overnight so we shall see.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:39 AM   #20
tacoapw is on a distinguished road
EMS:
tacoapw's Tacoma Gallery
Had something just like this happen to me, it smelt too fishy so I just never responded