Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Can I legally open someones mailbox to drop mail in it?

Old 02-21-2012, 11:53 AM   #2
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Mail with delivry confirmation so you have proof of delivery.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:54 AM   #3
Driving a tacoma is a lifestyle
09tacorunner is a name known to all09tacorunner is a name known to all09tacorunner is a name known to all09tacorunner is a name known to all09tacorunner is a name known to all09tacorunner is a name known to all

Name: Jason
09tacorunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_283 View Post
I need to pass around a letter in the neighborhood letting everyone know I intend to discharge firearms on a personal gun range in my backyard. Tape it to the mailbox? Or drop it inside?
Maybe a better idea would be to tape it to everyone's house door? Instead of going through the trouble of trying to open their box and be accused of possible stealing!
Old 02-21-2012, 11:54 AM   #4
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clayton
kirkofwimbo's Tacoma Gallery
Tape it, or fold it up and slide it in between the box and flag. I sure am glad you don't live next door to me....
Old 02-21-2012, 11:54 AM   #5
I'm proficient with both chainsaw and shotgun...
Kangonia is one of the sharper tools in the shedKangonia is one of the sharper tools in the shedKangonia is one of the sharper tools in the shedKangonia is one of the sharper tools in the shedKangonia is one of the sharper tools in the shedKangonia is one of the sharper tools in the shedKangonia is one of the sharper tools in the shedKangonia is one of the sharper tools in the shedKangonia is one of the sharper tools in the shedKangonia is one of the sharper tools in the shedKangonia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Kangonia's Tacoma Gallery
Just put it in the box... I don't think there is any crime in opening peoples mailbox to put a neighborhood courtesy letter in...
Old 02-21-2012, 12:04 PM   #7
I'm proficient with both chainsaw and shotgun...
Kangonia is one of the sharper tools in the shedKangonia is one of the sharper tools in the shedKangonia is one of the sharper tools in the shedKangonia is one of the sharper tools in the shedKangonia is one of the sharper tools in the shedKangonia is one of the sharper tools in the shedKangonia is one of the sharper tools in the shedKangonia is one of the sharper tools in the shedKangonia is one of the sharper tools in the shedKangonia is one of the sharper tools in the shedKangonia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Kangonia's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaholandho View Post
Wrong sir. Federal Issue. Not a local issue
Well, that just shows you what's wrong with the fed laws... OP can legally have a shooting range in his back yard, but can't drop something in his neighbors mailbox... I love guns and would love to shoot them on my property, but I honestly wouldn't think twice about sticking something in my neighbors mailbox.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:10 PM   #8
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
To be honest, I think it's fine. You can't open someone's mail. I doubt there's an actual regulation about a mail box (or slot in a door, or whatever). But I'm not a lawyer.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:10 PM   #9
Taco Libre has a brilliant futureTaco Libre has a brilliant futureTaco Libre has a brilliant futureTaco Libre has a brilliant futureTaco Libre has a brilliant futureTaco Libre has a brilliant futureTaco Libre has a brilliant futureTaco Libre has a brilliant futureTaco Libre has a brilliant futureTaco Libre has a brilliant futureTaco Libre has a brilliant future
Name: JohnnyHildo
Taco Libre's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangonia View Post
Well, that just shows you what's wrong with the fed laws... OP can legally have a shooting range in his back yard, but can't drop something in his neighbors mailbox... I love guns and would love to shoot them on my property, but I honestly wouldn't think twice about sticking something in my neighbors mailbox.
i was gonna say... what kind of neighbor goes ape-shit for dropping a friendly notice in their mailbox?
Old 02-21-2012, 12:10 PM   #10
jeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jeremy_283's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
How about finding an appropriate place to fire a weapon, such as a range with proper instruction and direction....seems that the majority of your posts have to do with firearms and the discharging of/and or tapping off rounds in and around your home....what gives?
I would typically travel to shoot... Like I did this weekend. It's just I may need to tap one or a few off every now and then and I don't want to travel 15 miles to shoot one round

And all my current posts have to do with that cause that's my current concern....
Old 02-21-2012, 12:11 PM   #11
Poodoo
luk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe hand deliver, or actually mail it, I wouldn't want to risk messing with anyones mailbox.

I think your home is the perfect place to discharger your firearm, as long as its legal and safe.
Guess that's the difference between larger cities and small country towns. I view this as normal, with the exception of notifying neighbors.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #12
jeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Not sure if the OP is clear on what he can have but your right...just another way the Feds have another thread of control...
I KNOW I can discharge a firearm in my backyard.... I talked to the Sheriff. I had to do something with all the old tires the nieghbors just left there. SOLUTION:Gun Range Backstop..... I stacked them up in back. Filled them with creek gravel-and now I am in the process of getting some carpet to trap and protect from any potential ricochet that could happen. I have seen mized reviews on tires as backstops and if I hang a couple pieces of carpet over the tires that should be suitable. I intend to make it as clean-looking as possible as well.

this thread is veering a little bit from the question.. lol
Old 02-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #13
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Legally, I'm sure there's probably something against dropping a note in a mailbox without the proper postage, etc. etc. Whether or not you can get away with it I think it depends on the area you live in. I grew up in the sticks so it wasn't a big deal at all to drop something in a neighbor's mailbox, hell there would even be baked goods in there around the holidays. I now live in Boston and I doubt it would fly around here, I'm sure someone would say something. If you have a good relationship with your neighbors, I'd hand deliver and talk to them about what you're doing. They might be more receptive also.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:18 PM   #14

Quote:
You think its fine?

18 U.S.C. 1725 states: "Whoever knowingly and willfully deposits any mailable matter such as statements of accounts, circulars, sale bills, or other like matter, on which no postage has been paid, in any letter box established, approved, or accepted by the Postal Service for the receipt or delivery of mail matter on any mail route with intent to avoid payment of lawful postage thereon, shall for each such offense be fined under this title"

Tape it to the door it is!
Old 02-21-2012, 12:26 PM   #15
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Wow. This thread is full of derp. OP, be responsible. Go to a range or outside city limits to a designated area. In a neighbourhood, there are bystanders and children. Accidents happen. Just be responsible. Also, I doubt your neighbours will be OK knowing that you're sitting in your backyard front yard garage, whatever squeezing off rounds.

/end rant
Old 02-21-2012, 12:28 PM   #17
Senior NEWBIE
Tigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Isaac
Tigahshark's Tacoma Gallery
It's a ferderal offense opening someone else's mail box, but it really comes down to your neighborhood/neighbors, if your a close nit area then no problem
Old 02-21-2012, 12:32 PM   #19
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_283 View Post
I am outside city limits...
OK well aside from my personal thoughts of this being a bad idea, I'll answer your question since it doesn't effect me since I don't even live near you.

If you want your neighbours to be aware. Send something out IN writing via the mail. That's right, mail it. Why? Because if one of them then goes and complains or whatever, your ass is "covered" per se.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
OK well aside from my personal thoughts of this being a bad idea, I'll answer your question since it doesn't effect me since I don't even live near you.

If you want your neighbours to be aware. Send something out IN writing via the mail. That's right, mail it. Why? Because if one of them then goes and complains or whatever, your ass is "covered" per se.
I finally figured out why you have all red squares, lol

Thanks for the advice by the way....