Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Thinking about getting a jeep.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:40 PM   #1
07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AC3
Name: Josh
07NavyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Thinking about getting a jeep.

so, i've been looking around at build threads and flexing/offroad threads and i really like the look the tacoma and the aftermarket stuff available, but i think a jeep is the better way to go for and off road rig.

i've had both and been off roading in both and it seems that the jeep is a cheaper, more capable off road vehicle, IMO. the main thing is solid axle. i'm not some hardcore rock crawler or anything, but with the jeep i owned, it was much easier to work on and was more fun to take off road. not to mention the money i paid for each vehicle: $1600 jeep or $21,000 tacoma.

this is the jeep i owned when i lived in Maine.

please, let me know what you think. i'm open for discussion.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:41 PM   #2
Senior NEWBIE
Tigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Isaac
Tigahshark's Tacoma Gallery
Jeeps are awesome but to me a little over priced, I'd buy one.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
If you end up getting a Jeep, you'd better keep up with your posts on here if you know what I mean
Old 02-21-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 94B/76Y Medical Honorable Discharge
Name: Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
The Driver's Tacoma Gallery
What kind of Jeep R U thinking off? XJ, TJ, JK?

Just curious, as you are being a bit vague...

For the record, I'm a Jeep lover!
Old 02-21-2012, 01:52 PM   #5
"Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"
Bobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
Bobbb's Tacoma Gallery
Traded my '04 Wrangler TJ for my current Taco. I used to have a CJ5 back in the 90's as well. Jeeps are by far my favorite vehicle, but I flat needed space for hauling. The old Jeep pickups were POS's in my opinion so had no interest in getting one of those. CJs/Wranglers are definitely better for off-roading, but they're way too limited in interior space for going deep into the backcountry for extended periods when you need to haul a bunch of gear. I've had friends with Cherokees that I liked okay, just not as much. As far as aftermarket stuff goes, I've never seen anything with as much available as a Jeep. Quadratec has seen more than a few of my $$$ over the years.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #6
07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigahshark View Post
Jeeps are awesome but to me a little over priced, I'd buy one.
Wranglers are definitly over priced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
What kind of Jeep R U thinking off? XJ, TJ, JK?

Just curious, as you are being a bit vague...

For the record, I'm a Jeep lover!
Pretty much what i had. 98 XJ w/ 4.0, 5 spd tranny, 3.5" RE superflex lift, 32" discoverer stt. I had maybe $3500 in the thing and it would hang with any toyota that has open diffs. I only seriously broke it once and that was operator error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbb View Post
Traded my '04 Wrangler TJ for my current Taco. I used to have a CJ5 back in the 90's as well. Jeeps are by far my favorite vehicle, but I flat needed space for hauling. The old Jeep pickups were POS's in my opinion so had no interest in getting one of those. CJs/Wranglers are definitely better for off-roading, but they're way too limited in interior space for going deep into the backcountry for extended periods when you need to haul a bunch of gear. I've had friends with Cherokees that I liked okay, just not as much. As far as aftermarket stuff goes, I've never seen anything with as much available as a Jeep. Quadratec has seen more than a few of my $$$ over the years.
That's why i want a cherokee. No, it's not as fun because you can't take the roof off or whatever but i loved my XJ and have been wanting one for a while. I just think it will be a better move to get a jeep that has cheaper, more abundant parts than smash my $21,000 truck.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
If you end up getting a Jeep, you'd better keep up with your posts on here if you know what I mean
Oh, i will! I'm keeping my truck. Lol i love that thing, i just don't want to smash it up.

I still have lots of thing i want to do to it, but not necessarily major trails or rocks.

Edit: Ahhhh....
Old 02-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #8
Senior NEWBIE
Tigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Isaac
Tigahshark's Tacoma Gallery
Me I like those 4 door rubicons, seen a couple of the, roaming around over here with small lifts, fuckin beast!
Old 02-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #9
ATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud of
Army:
ATriplett513's Tacoma Gallery
I would do it.

If you go with an XJ, sleeve the unibody before you go off the deep end.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigahshark View Post
Me I like those 4 door rubicons, seen a couple of the, roaming around over here with small lifts, fuckin beast!
Not a big fan of the engines and powertrain they put in the new jeeps.

Edit: i love the looks.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATriplett513 View Post
I would do it.

If you go with an XJ, sleeve the unibody before you go off the deep end.
Yeah, i don't care for the unibody. I'd have to do some research the sleeving thing.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:36 PM   #12
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
I like the 4 door Rubicons as well, but that would defeat the purpose anyway of having something cheap you can beat on.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:36 PM   #13
"Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"
Bobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
Bobbb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07NavyTaco View Post
Not a big fan of the engines and powertrain they put in the new jeeps.
I concur. If I ever get another Jeep it'll be another CJ or pre-07 Wrangler.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:44 PM   #14
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07NavyTaco View Post
Yeah, i don't care for the unibody. I'd have to do some research the sleeving thing.
Oh there's a build on AZ Virtual Jeep club somewhere that shows a guy who made a homemade rotisserie and he did that. Pretty neat actually.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:46 PM   #15
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery

Nice rubbing you got going on there. I originally wanted a Wrangler but I have this thing for trucks. Maybe one day I'll be able to get one. But I will never trade the babytruck for one.

On the other hand, I'm allergic to Cherokees.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:51 PM   #16
toughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
toughtaco's Tacoma Gallery
We just rented a 4 door jeep wrangler 2011 while we were in FL. I was impressed. I now want to trade the Pilot in for one. Of course I would at least put a 4" lift and 35" tires on it along with bumpers and lockers...... trying to talk to wife into now.....
Old 02-21-2012, 03:51 PM   #17
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/29
Redgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
Redgrom's Tacoma Gallery
I'd be in for a 4 door rubicon. Sadly my wife is dead set on owning a defender 90 or 110 at some point so that is the next 4x4. I really want a raptor but I'll give in if I get a project truck. Just wish rover parts were a little less$$!
Old 02-21-2012, 04:08 PM   #19
Redgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Redgrom's Tacoma Gallery
If I even considered it for a daily driver I'd agree, hell my taco is no longer a daily driver. 16 mpg's on a good day sucks! Got rid of a v8 to get better mileage. That didn't work out too well. Now we own 2 vw wagons and a truck. Best of both worlds. Really liked the a4 but 19mpg is not much better.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:10 PM   #20

Redgrom's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=Redgrom;4605204]If I even considered it for a daily driver I'd agree, hell my taco is no longer a daily driver. 16 mpg's on a good day sucks! Got rid of a v8 to get better mileage. That didn't work out too well. Now we own 2 vw wagons and a truck. Best of both worlds.