Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Transporting a Bike 5.5 bed

Old 02-22-2012, 11:01 PM   #1
TACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
TACOMA TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Transporting a Bike 5.5 bed

Im possibly buying a bike this weekend. Its a 2004 DRZ 650. Will this bike fit in my bed with the tailgate down? It will be about a 60mile trip back home. I do have some extra D rings in my truck, they are mounted through the bed with metal plating behind them, but not to the frame.

Also, will the weight approx 350lbs resting on tailgate bend it? Should I put a peice of plywood over the gate?

I measured with gate down i have 78 inches. The bike is around 90 inches but I really only need the rear tire on gate.

Bike Specs

Overall Length:2255mm (88.8 in.), low seat setting 2235mm (88.0 in.)Overall Width:865mm (34.1 in.)Overall Height:1195mm (47.0 in.), low seat setting 1155mm (45.5 in.)Seat Height:885mm (34.8 in.), low seat setting 845mm (33.0 in.)Ground Clearance:265mm (10.4 in.), low seat setting 225mm (8.9 in.)Wheelbase:1490mm (58.7 in.), low seat setting 1475mm (58.1 in.)Dry Weight:147kg (324 lbs.)
Old 02-23-2012, 12:26 AM   #2
TACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bump..
Old 02-23-2012, 05:09 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't worry about it

The bike in that pic weighs about 450ish dry and is probably longer than your DRZ. No issues with the tailgate. Just be careful with the front tire turning, I made a 2x4 frame to keep the front tire straight.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:48 AM   #4

Thats a good Idea....Actually if transporting a lot I should build one similar for rear tire too where it elevates the bike and distributes weight even across the gate.

PS did you use you factory cleats?
Old 02-23-2012, 05:55 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOMA TRD View Post
Thats a good Idea....Actually if transporting a lot I should build one similar for rear tire too where it elevates the bike and distributes weight even across the gate.

PS did you use you factory cleats?
I wouldn't worry about the rear. That dirt bike doesn't weigh that much so there really won't be much weight on the tailgate. I'd only be worried if it was a heavier cruiser. I've had no issues transporting the Katana. The back stays put with tie downs, the only reason I build that chock for the front is because the front end turned on me because the bed flexes so much. After I built the chock, 0 issues.
I don't trust the tie down cleats with the weight of a motorcycle. I added extra d-rings in the front by drilling out the outter 2 water drain holes and using a plate washer underneath the bed. If you have already added d-rings using the frame bolts, you're good to go. Here's a couple better shots of the tie down.

BTW, all the pics were taken from this thread, might help you with loading/unloading:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/mot...dcsb-pics.html
Old 02-23-2012, 01:46 PM   #6
positraction127 is on a distinguished road
positraction127's Tacoma Gallery
The bike should fit with the gate down. Gate is plenty strong enough for pretty much any bike, even two bikes.

Get a canyon dancer, it makes hauling a bike much easier. You can run the tie downs from the strap to the rail cleats, that's what I've done.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_9a1yz5v0cy_e
Old 02-23-2012, 11:53 PM   #7
DATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud of
DATZ WEAKSAUCE's Tacoma Gallery
heres black cx with 2 bikes in his short bed