1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Something that's been in the back of my mind

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Oat, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Mar 8, 2012 at 10:58 AM
    TeamSarcasm

TeamSarcasm Flawless Escalation to the Ludicrous

Member:
    The better coast
    I'm not going against you or anything but the only reason it happenes is because famous people like MJ and Whitney have a direct impact on every day lives of everyone in the US, while (I'm going to say this lightly...) soldiers "don't". Let me explain...

Lets say someones parents died in a car crash. You grew up with them, talk or think about them every day, listen to them etc....That would have a much greater impact on your life then someone random dying.

On the other hand, you hear about someone you don't know dying in a car crash, odds are it won't really have an impact you. You didn't know them and they had no influence on your life. No emotional attachment you probably wont be feeling "sad".

Of-course a few circumstances would prove that wrong, but for the most part its kind of along those lines....

2. Mar 8, 2012 at 11:39 AM
    619Tacoma

619Tacoma Baja bound

Member:
    First Name:
    Call me Rocco
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5, Sport, 4dr
    - Billstein 5100's all around with OME 885 coil springs. - K&N Air Filter - HID Headlights & Fogs - Kenwood Stereo & Infinity Speakers - CB Radio, - Fog On Anytime mod - Anti Tailgate theft mod. More comming...
    Garrin,
    Though you have a good point, I feel that the #1 reason that the Media finds more importance to these famous folks deaths than our military hero's is nothing more, nothing less than business.

The different news stations are businesses. All they care about are ratings. Sure they deliver "news", but they prefer to deliver the news that will attract the most viewers. That's all it comes down to.

Now, don't take this the wrong way; but really, who wants to hear about military members dying each and every day?
    The time the media would spend on each of their broadcasts showing a segment about the deaths, heroism, etc of military members cuts into the time they can use to show "sensationalized" news that will capture viewers/ratings. Sadly, that's the cold hard truth. It's very difficult to find a reasonable news source that doesn't rely on the number of viewers they can get.

With that being said. I want to Thank all the military members, LEO's, fire fighters, paramedics for all they you do each and everyday.

3. Mar 8, 2012 at 11:43 AM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    Lone Survivor, the book about that op, written by one of Murphy's teammates, was the only book that's genuinely made me cry.

4. Mar 8, 2012 at 12:13 PM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    AMEN & THANK YOU OP!

Rant on:

I will keep my thoughts short to avoid being labeled a weirdo or wako again due to my views and adamant support for our traditional American (US) way of life.

It comes down to $$$$. But look deeper and ask yourself why they are able to earn more reporting on a dope head then on a true hero. IMO, it reflects the continued deterioration of our society and shows the success of the indoctrination of our population slowly over a long period of time. Our values as a society and inturpritation of how we "should" live have changed (admittedly some for the better). Unfortunately, most people are either uneducated or don't care because they only see what they believe is a benefit.

Rant off.

5. Mar 8, 2012 at 3:29 PM
    nelson18matt

nelson18matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    solid copy. i'm right there with you... it's just pathetic, and sadly... it's just how things are. only a few of us truly know who the real heros are out there, and can appreciate the things they do for all of us.

little side note: last year my brother got to meet Marcus Luttrell and just yesterday he meet Sal Giunta. He said both are amazing men and just their presence in a room in humbling and motivating.

6. Mar 8, 2012 at 3:42 PM
    Lost_Humanity

Lost_Humanity Bad decisions make great stories.

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    It's a Toyota.
    Bumper Dent Mod
    I'll echo what others said:

Media (radio, TV, newspapers, magazine and even the Internet) is a ratings-driven business. Ratings = Money.

I agree it is a sad commentary on the the psyche of the United States citizenry, but it's the truth (it's also the #1 argument AGAINST the so-called "liberal media.")

I know and care much more about Lt. Murphy than the crack dumpster that was Whitney Houston. But that's because I am fortunate enough to live in an age when the Internet allows me to opportunities to select my media outlets.

It's also fortunate that we live in a place where our media is allowed to choose its content based upon the desires of its audience, as opposed to a state-run media such as Cuba or North Korea.

7. Mar 8, 2012 at 5:14 PM
    Oat

Oat [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2001 Prerunner
    Gibson Exhaust, Painted factory steel wheels, Chrome wheel caps, K&N Air intake, Tint, Regular Bilstein (yellow/blue) all around, Leveling spacer kit upfront, Partially de-badged, Westin Bullbar with skidplate, White, Double Cab Prerunner SR5
    Going to read this...

8. Mar 8, 2012 at 5:29 PM
    Doc35

Doc35 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doc
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC MGM TRD Sport Prerunner
    Turn off the news, it's only what they want you to know. Most of it is to distract you from the real issues facing our country and world. In their world " ignorance is bliss".

9. Mar 8, 2012 at 5:36 PM
    Doc35

Doc35 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doc
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC MGM TRD Sport Prerunner
    Our media is rapidly approaching this status. Yesterday for the first time I watched the Obama press conference, I was disgusted at the softball questions asked of him by the main stream media. Watching him respond to obviously simple questions was painful, his indecisiveness in his responseses was most telling. Without a pre scripted tele prompter he's obviously clueless.

10. Mar 8, 2012 at 6:42 PM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    Understand that this does not reflect your feelings and believe it is a valid point (perception) which takes us to my view of just how fucked up our society is in general in its take on what is of value. Myself, most people in my life and for sure some on here understand the impact that those who sacrifice and serve have on our way of life. What troubles me most is that "we" have created a system that fails to recognize the importance and benefits they provide. If not for them, there would be no MJ or Whitney success story.

11. Mar 8, 2012 at 6:46 PM
    lotsoftoys

lotsoftoys pavement is boring....

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    98 lifted panda taco
    bunch of crap
    its good to hear there are lots of people who feel the same. as long as we remember to continue thinking that way it will be better. btw, praise to all the armed forces right now

12. Mar 8, 2012 at 7:11 PM
    sofiasdad11

sofiasdad11 Reads more than posts

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Near the Windy City, but in the country
    Vehicle:
    2011 BLACK 4X4 DCLB TRD SPORT
    Flux capacitor (2nd gen version), toytec ultimate liftkit, amp research powersteps, custom katzkin heated leather incl. console cover, retraxpro retractable bed cover, earnhardt jr. cannons@18x9(summer),ballistic jesters@18x9 (winter),285/60/18 nitto grapplers, bodymatched bushwackers, the original Homertaco full satoshi " raptor" grill, viper 5704 remote/smart-start/alarm w/viper cellulor app, ravelco anti-theft device, ipcw tails, redline hoodstruts, oem roof rack, led maps/dome, backup light mod, swingcase storage box, jl audio stealthbox and amps,focal drivers,alpine carplay unit, pop&lock premium handle, seatbelt chime disabled, tailgate hoseclamp mod, rich evans caliper covers, weathertech digitalfit mats, flyzeye V2W,oem bedmat, salex console organizer,speeddawg shiftknob

13. Mar 8, 2012 at 7:17 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    It's by (as someone mentioned in this thread before) Marcus Lutterell, about Operation Red Wing in Afghanistan.

Heaviest book I've ever read.

14. Mar 8, 2012 at 7:19 PM
    jdk52

jdk52 Bro do you even 'Merica?

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    11 SR5
    3 inch OME lift kit, rear diff breather mod, cb install, sliders, brute force fab front end.
    I've been in the AF 10 years, and some days I am disgusted by what some Americans view as important. I remind myself that not everyone is like that, and remember the times a thankful person bought me a beer just because.

15. Mar 17, 2012 at 10:59 AM
    Oat

Oat [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2001 Prerunner
    Gibson Exhaust, Painted factory steel wheels, Chrome wheel caps, K&N Air intake, Tint, Regular Bilstein (yellow/blue) all around, Leveling spacer kit upfront, Partially de-badged, Westin Bullbar with skidplate, White, Double Cab Prerunner SR5
    Just got it in the mail, pretty small but thick.

16. Mar 17, 2012 at 6:03 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    It's the world we live in.

Very very disappointing.

17. Mar 25, 2012 at 4:37 PM
    Pit Snipe 1997

Pit Snipe 1997 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Tacoma Off Road
    Bed lined the rear bumper caps, LED lights in the interior, rear bed LEDs, red letter glove box inserts, center console coin box, set of Wildpeaks from my 2014 Tacoma that I traded in and removed the factory running boards.
    what about what we get paid to lay down our life if need be compared to pro athletes and stars. its bullshit. there needs to be a major change in priorties in this country.

18. Mar 25, 2012 at 5:26 PM
    jdk52

jdk52 Bro do you even 'Merica?

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    11 SR5
    3 inch OME lift kit, rear diff breather mod, cb install, sliders, brute force fab front end.
  19. Mar 25, 2012 at 5:40 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    the progressives and their emancipation of the American Male.

We need more John Wayne's and George Patton's.

it's all about ratings and a political agenda. but we won't go there.

20. Mar 25, 2012 at 5:45 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    Agreed.

Where are the "occupy" folks at the Denver Bronco's corporate office since Manning signed a 96 million dollar deal?

Where are the "occupy" folks at the movie studios where "stars" regularly "earn" millions for one movie?

It cracks me up, that these "occupy" folks are drinking a 10 dollar Starbucks coffee...texting on their Iphone...camping in their Northface tents...etc...

yeah, the corporate top brass of those companies are not part of the 1%. :rolleyes:

Products Discussed in

To Top