1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Something that's been in the back of my mind

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Oat, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Mar 7, 2012 at 6:52 PM
    Oat

Oat [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2001 Prerunner
    Gibson Exhaust, Painted factory steel wheels, Chrome wheel caps, K&N Air intake, Tint, Regular Bilstein (yellow/blue) all around, Leveling spacer kit upfront, Partially de-badged, Westin Bullbar with skidplate, White, Double Cab Prerunner SR5
    This kind of irritates me. I'm not picking on whitney houston or michael jackson, but it seems evertime someone famous dies, their name gets blown up with the media. Almost a sudden tragedy. But meanwhile.....there are soldiers, marines, sailors, LEO's, EMT's, Medic's, that contribute the same, if not more to society. So why when they put their life on the line but are forgotten, yet drug addicts (again not pointing the finger) get's blown up and praised. I'm kind of tired of seeing this on my nightly news...

/rant.

2. Mar 7, 2012 at 6:57 PM
    Oat

Oat [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2001 Prerunner
    Gibson Exhaust, Painted factory steel wheels, Chrome wheel caps, K&N Air intake, Tint, Regular Bilstein (yellow/blue) all around, Leveling spacer kit upfront, Partially de-badged, Westin Bullbar with skidplate, White, Double Cab Prerunner SR5
  3. Mar 7, 2012 at 7:01 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    its the sad truth.
    media find's what Kim Kardashian or Lindsay Lohan is doing more important than most other things happening anywhere else nowadays.

4. Mar 7, 2012 at 7:14 PM
    TRDBen

TRDBen Mall Crawler of the Year

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner 4 Door TRD V6
    Front Window Tint KYB Monomax Shocks Blue Dome Light Valentine 1 Radar Detector
    The only time the media reports on troops is when they can create a scandal to make the armed forces look bad.

5. Mar 7, 2012 at 7:21 PM
    HIYota

HIYota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angel
    Las Vegas, NV originally Kauai, HI
    Vehicle:
    09 Silver 6 spd TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    Check my build thread...too much to list.
    Hence the reason I stopped watching the news...It's easier to cut through all the crap by reading it online.

6. Mar 7, 2012 at 7:23 PM
    Tigahshark

Tigahshark Senior NEWBIE

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Tint Weathertech floor liner, weathertech window visor Roll n lock tonneau cover Rubber bed mat Smoked license plate covers
    That's just the medias way of keeping the more important or real stuff out of the fairy tale world of ours

7. Mar 7, 2012 at 7:28 PM
    PreRunner03

PreRunner03 Hail State

Member:
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner Double Cab TRD
    Was talking about this the other day with my mom. She hates how these rich, obnoxious individuals are being idolized while more and more servicemen are forgotten or overlooked in our society.

8. Mar 7, 2012 at 7:29 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    It wasn't too many years (decades) ago that entertainers and performers were the dregs of society.
    People threw rotten fruit at them if they disliked their performances.

With the advent of film and the "big screen", these performers became, quite literally, larger than life. They have become role models for a society lacking in strong paternal images.

They are still the same low-life scum that they were 200 years ago.

9. Mar 7, 2012 at 7:30 PM
    IndianTaco

IndianTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    i agree

5l2t6g.jpg
    internet-memes-obviously-true.jpg

10. Mar 7, 2012 at 7:36 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    agree it’s sad! and it’s sad that the troops and all don’t even get on the locale new where they are from.:(

agree. i don’t even look at it online all the time. usually just when i know their is something i want to read about.

11. Mar 7, 2012 at 8:30 PM
    DaBears

DaBears Well-Known Member

Member:
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    10 trd sport
    It is a sad but true part of the job. The Media works for ratings, hence everytime a famous person F's up I can't even get the sports score. Example O.J. Simpson Trials, The Lohan's Father and Daughter court cases, and my favorite Teeny Bopper stars and thier troubles with the law. It is sad really good troops die and nobody know except the joes the served with them. But no one signs the dotted line for fame.

12. Mar 8, 2012 at 8:45 AM
    Hot Tamale

Hot Tamale Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    2012 Access Cab 4x2
    I agree 100%. It's really sad.

13. Mar 8, 2012 at 9:00 AM
    FOUR X FOUR DUDE.

FOUR X FOUR DUDE. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Mountain Center, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4
    TRD wheels, BFG tires, factory installed option.
    News is entertainment. People attracted to "stars" live in fantasyland. Why do "stars" show up on the red carpet, half naked ? Why do "stars" do drugs ? Isn't fame and fortune enough ? Gotta get high too ?Look at the fools in England.....they worship the freakin' Queen !

14. Mar 8, 2012 at 9:06 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Aside from the point that the OP made, which is valid......One thing that bugs me...WHEN did Celebs become pussys? I mean......Clark Gable, who was HUGE in his time, Joined the Air Force to support his country. Elvis, although Im not a fan, was in the Army. Johnny Carson, Navy. RON REGAN! (need I say more), Drew Carey, Marine. Etc. Etc. ....sorry,......didnt mean to get off topic.

15. Mar 8, 2012 at 9:08 AM
    Marioso

Marioso Risueno

Member:
    San diego Ca
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Fj Cruiser
    Can the media make money off of whitney? yes...can the media make money off of a marine? no...yeah its fucked up but lets look at the big picture.

16. Mar 8, 2012 at 9:08 AM
    Apple X C0re

Apple X C0re Atomic Punk

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Franklin, NC
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    De-badged, MetalMiller grille emblem, brush guard, K&N Intake, Thrush tube, Black euro tail lights, Various scratches, Cobra 29LTD CB with custom echo board, 10" sony subwoofer with MTX amp, Black low-profile tool box, 5% tint all around.
    I agree with this. I honestly had no idea who this Whitney Houston was until everyone was talking about how she died. Probably for the best, seeing as how she was a rabid drug user. Anyway, to the point. Its disgraceful to place crack head child molesting singers in higher regard than those who protect us daily.

17. Mar 8, 2012 at 9:18 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Couldn't agree more... That's also why I like certain local radio stations, they actually report if someone local who's serving overseas dies. It's not much, but it's enough to make you remember the troops!

18. Mar 8, 2012 at 10:00 AM
    Toyotacrawler

Toyotacrawler She's got the jimmy legs

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    5100's set to 1.75" Wheelers 3 leaf progressive AAL & 5100's for the rear Konig Countersteer Offroads K&N Drop in WeatherTech's Bed Mat Blacked out Badges Rear leaf TSB
    OP I'm right there with you!
    It's a disgrace when the men and women of our military and emergency services give their lives protecting the lives of others but it gets put on the back page of the news.
    The values of this country are in the shitter.

Example:

Lowry, Conner T.Corporal 242nd Battalion, 11th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary ForceU.S. Marine - hostile fire Southern Afghanistan
    Bear, Jordan L.Staff Sergeant 252nd Battalion, 508th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division - hostile fire Kandahar
    Jones, Payton A.Private 1st Class 192nd Battalion, 508th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division

I had to dig deep to find those three soldiers but you know what was easy to find....Snooki is pregnant. Yep you read that right. Some fat whore being pregnant is more important that these 3 young men that gave their lives for their country. WTF is happening with America.

Oat, I cannot thank you enough and every other member of our armed forces that keeps me and my family safe from the evil's of the world.
    Know that my family supports you 100%. I pray that you guys stay safe in all or your endeavors.
    Some famous drug addict will never be more important than the men and women that fight, serve, protect and provide emergency services to this family.

19. Mar 8, 2012 at 10:24 AM
    sofiasdad11

sofiasdad11 Reads more than posts

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Near the Windy City, but in the country
    Vehicle:
    2011 BLACK 4X4 DCLB TRD SPORT
    Flux capacitor (2nd gen version), toytec ultimate liftkit, amp research powersteps, custom katzkin heated leather incl. console cover, retraxpro retractable bed cover, earnhardt jr. cannons@18x9(summer),ballistic jesters@18x9 (winter),285/60/18 nitto grapplers, bodymatched bushwackers, the original Homertaco full satoshi " raptor" grill, viper 5704 remote/smart-start/alarm w/viper cellulor app, ravelco anti-theft device, ipcw tails, redline hoodstruts, oem roof rack, led maps/dome, backup light mod, swingcase storage box, jl audio stealthbox and amps,focal drivers,alpine carplay unit, pop&lock premium handle, seatbelt chime disabled, tailgate hoseclamp mod, rich evans caliper covers, weathertech digitalfit mats, flyzeye V2W,oem bedmat, salex console organizer,speeddawg shiftknob
    not to threadjack, but i remember reading about michael murphy when he died. not ashamed to admit i had tears in my eyes when i read it. he was a man's man. encourage anyone to read about him if unaware. he also now has a warship named after him. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_P._Murphy

20. Mar 8, 2012 at 10:36 AM
    Banff2007Tacoma

Banff2007Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma Black Sand Pearl TRD Offroad.
    GPS Navigation System, Old Man Emu complete lift with Dakar springs. Light Racing UCA's. BFG AT tires, KMC Enduro rims, Allpro E-locker guard. ARB Portable Air Compressor CKMP12. Backflip Tonneau Cover. Wet Okole seat covers.
    Hey OP I had a similar thread awhile back ago just stating we should thank our troops.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/military/205047-thank-you.html

In the thread I also put up a couple of websites of our fallen heros. Hoped people would take the time to look at that instead of what was in the media and pray for their families. Those that serve our country do not get the credit they truly deserve. It is sad.

Products Discussed in

To Top