Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Red Neck Engineering Help Wanted!

Old 03-10-2012, 03:48 AM   #1
Mr Souc is on a distinguished road

Name: Joel
Mr Souc's Tacoma Gallery
Red Neck Engineering Help Wanted!

Hey all, I need some help with some ideas on how to move my shed...

As you'll see from the pics below, the shed is down at the other end of the yard. Maybe 50 or 60 yards away. It weighs maybe 800 + pounds emptied out and is 12x10 feet.

It's all wired up with lights and outlets as it used to be up next to the house but the previous owners of the house cut the power cord and moved it to where it is now. I talked to them and they said they used 2x4s, dish soap, and a Jeep with a winch and dragged it down. I guess it stoved the lawn all the hell up - I want to avoid that! I'm thinking it is a good time to move it now as the ground is all frozen.

What I'm thinking is I'll pick up some schedule 80 PVC piping with a large diameter at the local hardware store, maybe 4 or 5 of them in 8 foot lengths. I'll barrow a few extra jacks from some buddy's and lift it up 6 or 8 inches and then slide the PVC pipes under and move it Egyptian style across the lawn with the Tacoma and a tow rope. Once I get it in place, I'll jack it up again, remove the pipes, level it and then lower it for good. Then call the electrian to get it wired up once again.

What do you all think? This seems to be the best way I can think of with out getting a team of guys involved to drag it... Any thoughts?

Old 03-10-2012, 04:23 AM   #3
TieDie
Tiedie is a jewel in the roughTiedie is a jewel in the roughTiedie is a jewel in the roughTiedie is a jewel in the rough

Tiedie's Tacoma Gallery
Go for it .Looks like you understand how it works.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:56 AM   #4
The Messiah
90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
90YotaPU's Tacoma Gallery
I've moved some very heavy crates (2,000+ lbs) just using pipes. Once you get it up on them, it rolls really easy. You probably won't even need to tow it unless your yard is that really steep (doesn't look like it in the pics) or if you want to have a safety in case it starts rolling backwards. My other suggestion is rent a "Johnson Bar" from your local rental store. It's much easier to get the piece up onto the pipes that way.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:14 PM   #5
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
my first thought was the pipe method too... BTW, i'd ditch the landscaping in front of the shed
Old 04-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #6
Mr Souc is on a distinguished road

Name: Joel
Mr Souc's Tacoma Gallery
UPDATE:

Shed is all moved. Did it myself in like 3 hours! It went smooth as shit through a tin horn!

Its all wired up, complete with a mini fridge full of frosty brews!

Great Success!
Old 04-13-2012, 08:23 AM   #8
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery

Me and my dad use to move some big ass deer blinds with the PVC pipe method.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:29 AM   #9
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Souc View Post
UPDATE:

Shed is all moved. Did it myself in like 3 hours! It went smooth as shit through a tin horn!

Its all wired up, complete with a mini fridge full of frosty brews!

Great Success!
Must be a Mainiac thing

Glad it worked out!