1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Do You Use Gas from Costco?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Rakso, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Mar 11, 2012 at 12:16 PM
    Stew

Stew Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stew
    Greenville, NC
    Vehicle:
    White 04 Single Cab 2.7 4x4
    2.5in ^, debadged, fog light mod, deck plate, line-x, tool box

Isn't replaced often a bad thing since refilling an underground tank stirs up sediment and puts it in your tank. That is one reason they say never to fill up at a station where the tanker is unloading. I guess if they refill often though all that stirred up stuff is leaving into peoples tanks more often so less settles to stir up next time.

Back on topic, I don't use costco or sams gas. Granted costco may be good with sams gas I get terrible mileage, period.

2. Mar 11, 2012 at 2:26 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Frequently filled is a VERY good thing.
    It keeps water from building up, and it helps keep the tanks free of sediments.
    This is especially important for Diesel. When I had my Duramax, I never filled up at "hole in the wall" stations that saw little traffic. I'd fill at truck stops, or larger stations near the highway.

As for crap being stirred up and put into your tank, I've been hearing that for decades and it's bullshit.
    The pumps are filtered.
    Ever notice how sometimes you'll be pumping and the pump is running slower than shit (when it was good a week earlier)? The filter is clogged and restricting flow.

3. Mar 11, 2012 at 2:37 PM
    ppham444

ppham444 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phuong
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2023 White TRD Off-Road doublecab
    I'm pretty sure all gas stations have filters for their gas.

4. Mar 11, 2012 at 4:22 PM
    bethes

bethes Señorita Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Tulsa/Sand Springs, OK
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 TRD Off Road
    I've never seen a Costco in my life. Live too far from Sam's to make it worth the effort, and to get the discount at Wal-Mart you have to go inside and get a gift card and then go to the station and you only save 3 cents per gallon. That's a lot of time and work for 45 cents, and I'm happy to spend 45 cents to support a locally-owned station anyway.

5. Mar 11, 2012 at 5:13 PM
    Bobbb

Bobbb "Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    Bob
    Tundra TRD/OR
    I was just considering putting up a thread about this very topic and guess what?--here it is! Ain't using 'Search' amazing? :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, I have used Costco gas at times over the past few years, but that stops now. It runs about 25-cents/gal cheaper than Shell/Chevron so seemed like a good deal if the lines weren't too ugly.

Lately I've been paying more attention to fuel economy (who hasn't?:mad:) and was surprised at what I found. By keeping a strict count on each tank, I've found that, even though I'm saving on average 6.2% in dollar per gallon costs ($3.75 vice $4), when I use their gas, I'm losing an average of 19.7% in miles per gallon (12.4 vice 15.45). Nice friggin "savings". Not to mention what my ECM is having to do to try to get that stuff to burn. No more. I realize that Costco gets their gas from multiple sources, but I'm not into playing crapshoot on whether or not what I'm getting is worth a dick. I'll stick with Shell from now on and motor on down the trail.

And I NEVER put that ARCO crap in anything I drive. Stopped doing that over a decade ago when I realized that it made every vehicle I put it in run like dookie.

6. Mar 11, 2012 at 5:21 PM
    w8n4mud

w8n4mud I'm back.

Member:
    First Name:
    Albert
    Chula Vista, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Off Road DCSB
    Stock. Purchased 2/17/19. Cement!
  7. Mar 11, 2012 at 5:28 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    I did back when Costco was selling gas for 20 cents a gallon cheaper than everyone else. When they jacked their prices to match everyone else, I quit buying it. It wasn't worth the hassle & extra driving distance to Costco.

I have several Sam's around me. The Athens,GA one seems to be 10 cents cheaper than most stations. All the other Sam's around me are the same price as QT. When I'm in Athens, I always fill up at that Sam's.

8. Mar 11, 2012 at 7:45 PM
    Rakso

Rakso [OP] CeRaTi

Member:
    First Name:
    OsKaR
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    LSK LT in Progress, custom bed cage, DMZ SUA kit with 2.5 kings triple bypass, kings bump stops, baja bumper, rear custom tube bumper, glass all around, Weather Tech Liners, wet okole seat covers, Cluster LED Swap, HU LED Swap, hood LEDs, bed LEDs, etc etc etc
    I just went to Costco a couple of hours ago. The gas price is $.15 cheaper compared to the Shell station across the street. The line to fill up was about 10 vehicles per line. Not worth the wait for me.

9. Mar 11, 2012 at 9:38 PM
    Tigahshark

Tigahshark Senior NEWBIE

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Tint Weathertech floor liner, weathertech window visor Roll n lock tonneau cover Rubber bed mat Smoked license plate covers
    If they sold diesel and if they were closer(2 hrs away)

10. Mar 12, 2012 at 7:01 PM
    Stew

Stew Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stew
    Greenville, NC
    Vehicle:
    White 04 Single Cab 2.7 4x4
    2.5in ^, debadged, fog light mod, deck plate, line-x, tool box
    That makes sense, I'm was just repeating what I've heard a lot lately that is why I second guess myself in that it could be a good thing. Sorry I was wrong.

11. Mar 12, 2012 at 7:16 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    There's a lot of myths about gas that may or may not have been true at one time.

12. Mar 12, 2012 at 8:08 PM
    SCSPerformance

SCSPerformance Stealth Custom Series™ Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Vin
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    Camburg LT kit DMZ SUA kit SCS wheels Destroyer Gray
    I stay away from gas at Costco, Arco AmPm, and no name stations. I stick to the top tier companies like Shell and Chevron.

13. Mar 12, 2012 at 8:12 PM
    Rakso

Rakso [OP] CeRaTi

Member:
    First Name:
    OsKaR
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    LSK LT in Progress, custom bed cage, DMZ SUA kit with 2.5 kings triple bypass, kings bump stops, baja bumper, rear custom tube bumper, glass all around, Weather Tech Liners, wet okole seat covers, Cluster LED Swap, HU LED Swap, hood LEDs, bed LEDs, etc etc etc
    Exactly what I've always done.

14. Mar 12, 2012 at 8:21 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    I use it almost exclusively. My local Costco is slamming. They get 8-9 big rig deliveries a day! Nothing fresher. I asked. One in Hawaii is busier. They get 14 loads. I have zero issues.

15. Mar 12, 2012 at 9:37 PM
    Bobbb

Bobbb "Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    Bob
    Tundra TRD/OR
    Just out of curiosity, have you ever tracked your mpg then ran a tank or two of 'name brand' gas against it for comparison? I've never had any noticeable performance issues with Costco's gas, but I sure as hell see the difference in fuel economy. Just saying that it might be worth a look-see.

16. Mar 13, 2012 at 6:31 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Depending on your location, Costco may or may not sell gasoline with more ethanol.
    They can legally go to E10, but are not required to on a federal level.
    In some states like California, E10 may be mandatory in high pollution areas.

Ethanol is very high octane, but 25% lower BTU content than gasoline. It requires closer to 9:1 to be stoich, so it will hurt MPG.

The same holds true for sellers that use ethanol as an octane booster (it's base octane is 118)... rather than 91 being a "true" 91, it is often simply 87 with 10% ethanol.

When the federal subsidies on ethanol dry up, it will no longer be a cheap fuel and we'll see an end to this BS except where it is required by law.

I will say that I've had Costco and Sam's gas "turn" in my dirtbike and gas jugs in as little as 3 months.
    After 6 months, I ended up having to completely rebuild my carb... every brass part was covered in a green "fuzz"
    Never had that happen with Chevron or Shell.

17. Mar 13, 2012 at 7:00 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    My best mpg was a tank of costco heading for a turkey hunt.
    I also left gas in my other car for a long time. It didn't turn bad and I am finally burning it up by driving that car.

18. Mar 14, 2012 at 10:46 AM
    97T

97T Resident T100 guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Melt
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    97 T100 xcab 5spd 2wd
    soundstream 550.2 amp, 2 eclipse 10" subs, 4% tint rear window, 20% sides, 6" sunstrip, clear bumper lenses, avital 4103 alarm with keyless, BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain T/A 235/75/15, 15X7 6-5.5 0C Unique 298 rims
    there isnt one in my town, and most of the time i leave town i head north i may pass the vacaville one .... but generally the safeway in dixon or the pilot in dunnigan are about the same price, plus the vacaville one is wayy off the freeway

I do however fill up at the one in fresno on herndon EVERY year when i go white water rafting .... while im in line whoever goes with me goes and gets pizza and sodas from inside, then we stop next door for more ice for the cooler .... makes everything simple to do it all in one stop

19. Mar 14, 2012 at 12:32 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    The gas for all stations in California comes from the same refineries. The only difference is the additives the chains add.

20. Mar 14, 2012 at 12:53 PM
    gologit

gologit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    In the redwoods.
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR5 4x4 long bed
    Nothing major or fancy. Just stuff to make it work better for me. Running boards, seat covers, BakFlip
    No Costco, no Sam's Club...ever. In our area they buy their fuel from whatever refinery offers them the best price on bulk purchases...hence the savings.

But you never really know what you're getting. It could be standard run gas from an independent refinery or it could be Chevron...without the good additives. One thing for sure...it won't match the major brands in consistency and quality.

Somebody mentioned checking your mpg with different brands. I run anywhere from 1 1/2 to 2 mpg better using Chevron or Union 76 over the cheapo brands. The mpg savings offset the lower price and not having to wait in line is worth something, too.

Plus...our local Sam's club isn't open 24 hours.

Products Discussed in

To Top