Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Read this!

Old 03-11-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
lonecountryboy is on a distinguished road
lonecountryboy's Tacoma Gallery
Read this!

Click the link and see what men are facing today.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/0...k-experts-say/
Discuss.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
Bishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Bishop2Queens6's Tacoma Gallery
Yay. Another step to equality in the workplace.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:43 PM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
That's the dumbest thing I've read in a while...
Old 03-11-2012, 05:44 PM   #4
Bishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

For those who don't want to click on the link:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonecountryboy View Post
Click the link and see what men are facing today.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/0...k-experts-say/

If a guy offers to carry a box for a female co-worker, help her with Google Analytics or compliments her for what a good mom she seems to be, she may be better off turning down the help and deflecting the compliments. These seemingly nice gestures and complimentary comments towards women may be a form of subtle sexism, experts say.
Chivalrous acts and compliments on female qualities, like mothering or nurturing, studies show, can be just as damaging to women as more blatant sexism and catcalls. Offering to assist women in traditionally male tasks, which experts call benevolent sexism, reinforces the notion that men are more competent than women, and women are weak and fragile.
One study found that when women were led to expect help from men, they became unsure of themselves, got distracted, and consequently performed poorly, creating a self-fulfilling prophesy. Women don’t usually recognize benevolent sexism, and they start to doubt their ability to do the job, which makes them less able to do the job, the study’s co-author Peter Glick said in a podcast.
“In benevolent sexism, you can genuinely cherish someone in the workplace, but you can help her too much,” said Glick, professor of psychology at Lawrence University in Appleton, Wis. “It’s subjectively positive, but it’s bad for the woman."
The rate of benevolent sexism in the country correlates with how well women are doing at work, in education, and in health care, reported Glick and his co-author Susan Fiske, who is professor of psychology at Princeton.
New commentary, in which they cite their research, was in Psychology of Women Quarterly.
“Benevolent sexism is part of a system of control of women and does correlate with objective indicators of how well women were doing in the nation,” she said.
Moreover, benevolent sexism tends to justify hostile sexism.
“Scratch a benevolent sexist and you might find a hostile sexist underneath,” Glick said. Hostile sexism is the more blatant type of aggression and negative stereotyping of women.
Just how common is subtle sexism in the workplace? Researchers from Pennsylvania State University and Philipps University in Marburg, Germany, conducted three studies asking 120 participants (82 women and 38 men ranging in age from 18 to 26) to keep diaries of a list of subtle sexist comments and actions for seven days. Participants observed an average of six sexist incidents during the week.
Researchers found when women were made aware of subtle sexism and how to spot it, they no longer had self doubts and their performance didn’t suffer.
Men, though appear to be slower at getting the message and had to be more actively educated that any kind of sexism harms women.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/0...#ixzz1orIoNQUW
Discuss.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:47 PM   #5

It's all going to be equal-this and treat-me-the-same-that until there is a crisis event and they want all the women to egress first
Old 03-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #6
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Or maybe we're really nice guys.

Or horny.

Hell I'd love it if my female colleagues offered to help mne with MY work.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:53 PM   #7
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2Queens6 View Post
It's all going to be equal-this and treat-me-the-same-that until there is a crisis event and they want all the women to egress first
It's not even that. If our office manager has a heavy box that needs to me moved, she asks one of the guys for help. In general, men are physically stronger than women, nothing to do with sexism, it's nature... If I hold a door open for a women, it has nothing to do with sexism, it's just being nice. If a guy were following me through a door, I'd hold it for him also. I'm all for equality but that article is ridiculous in my opinion...
Old 03-11-2012, 05:53 PM   #8
R.O.U.S.
RV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to behold
Army: Veteran - 154th Sig. Bn., USARSO Panama
Name: Paul
RV7Garage's Tacoma Gallery
What a load
Old 03-11-2012, 05:54 PM   #9
Señorita Member
bethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beth
bethes's Tacoma Gallery
I have so many thoughts about how ridiculous this article is that I can't even get them out. Maybe one of you guys could help me?

I'm the only girl on my work location, about 20 men work here. I have a pretty serious "I'll do it myself" complex, but there are times when if I don't ask for help my job isn't getting done. But that seems pretty universal, doesn't it? That's the point of having other people around; if one person could do this alone there would only be one person here. Sometimes the guys ask for help, too. Funny how that works.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:55 PM   #10

So I should let my pregnant coworker to carry the full box of paper down the flight of stairs?
Old 03-11-2012, 05:55 PM   #11

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So I should let my pregnant coworker to carry the full box of paper down the flight of stairs?
Apparently...

The next article she'll write will complaining that chivilry is dead.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:56 PM   #12
lonecountryboy is on a distinguished road
lonecountryboy's Tacoma Gallery
Yea the wife read that and thought that was the dumbest thing ever. Sound like some dumb ass womyns studies professor is trying to justify her existence just wondering how much of our tax dollars it cost. I could have saved us a bunch of money and told her all men are horny.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:57 PM   #13
Blasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Blasphemous's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You are subliminally helping her. Do not fret kind one...
Old 03-11-2012, 06:00 PM   #14
Doc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doc
Doc35's Tacoma Gallery
I'll always treat a lady as a lady, but also as an equal in the workplace. If holding a door makes me a sexist so be it, my being a gentleman doesn't diminish my respect of a woman as my equal in the work place. Showing respect for your fellow man or woman has nothing to do with sexism, I'm a southern gentleman and will always treat the fairer sex with the respect they deserve.