Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

About to shoot my dog!!

Old 12-12-2008, 09:43 PM   #1
Poodoo
luk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
About to shoot my dog!!

Not really, I love my dog. But tonight was the 3rd time she tore up some gifts and the christmas tree. I know some will say put her in a crate, but I have had quite a few dogs that stay home when I leave and have never torn up anything. The only thing she is intrested in is the tree and gifts, never had any troubles with anything else getting chewed or harassed. She is a very good dog, most of the time. Ok I'm done ranting.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:45 PM   #4
Ultimate Member
SLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to behold

SLOTaco's Tacoma Gallery
shoot it
just kidding, they do have some stuff you can spray on furniture to keep dogs from chewing, tastes bitter I think, it may work for the tree.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:47 PM   #6
Poodoo
luk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
She has been damn near beaten all 3 times. I use a news paper rolled up, the noise is also supposed to help scare them. I hit her until my arm is tired. Some how she removed all the decorative balls, ice cycles, some lights and the angel. Thats why I hit her so much. The first time wasn't soo bad for her but the last 2 were. She know when she has done bad because she hides on the sofa, as opposed to greeting us at the door.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:49 PM   #7
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
put some vinegar or hot sauce on the presents!!!
Old 12-12-2008, 09:50 PM   #8
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Strange. What kind of mutt do you have?

Try putting something that scares them near the tree. We had a singing moose that terrified our dog. Anywhere we didn't want her, the moose would stand guard.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:51 PM   #9
Ultimate Member
SLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to behold

SLOTaco's Tacoma Gallery
The only way I could get my dog to stop digging in my tomato garden was to put his own poop around, he hated that.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:59 PM   #11
Ultimate Member

SLOTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome! Gorgeous dog! Ive got a 7yr old rednose myself, pitbulls are great dogs!

Old 12-13-2008, 02:14 AM   #13
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
Be careful using that icicle tinsel stuff with dogs, if they swallow it can get caught in their intestines.

Beautiful pup, I suggest reading up on some training techniques especially with an active dog like that. Beating the dog is only going to cause further behavorial issues.
Check out some informative shows on the Animal Plant channel, Barking Mad and It's me or the Dog are good cause they show how effective the techniques are after just a day and again in a few weeks. Ya know the saying you don't believe it till ya see it. Or simply do a little reading...

http://www.perfectpaws.com/chew.html
Dogs do not chew and destroy your house and belongings because they are angry, jealous or spiteful. They do it because they are dogs. They may be lonely, bored, frustrated or anxious, but they are not malicious, vindictive or petty. Active dogs can become restless when left alone for long periods. If you always come home at a certain time and you are late, your dog may become anxious. Your dog does not punish you for being late by destructive chewing. The dogs' chewing is a form of occupational therapy to relieve stress and release energy. If you come home and find that your dog has destroyed something, do not punish the dog.
http://www.doglogic.com/apdtfaqs.htm
Punishment
Punishing a dog for inappropriate chewing is seldom successful in correcting the problem. To be effective as a training tool, punishment must be 100% consistent. If a dog is punished for chewing in the owner’s presence, he simply learns to chew when the owner is absent. Punishment more than 3 seconds after the crime is not effective; the dog has already forgotten the crime. If you come home to a scene of destruction, very calmly tell your dog to go get a chew toy and praise him for bringing one to you. If you are really angry and must let off steam, go in another room, away from the dog, and beat up a pillow. Beating a dog simply teaches him to fear the person beating him, and possibly people in general.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:06 AM   #14
WNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
WNYTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Couldn't you just put a rib roast in the opposite corner of the room as a decoy?
Old 12-13-2008, 04:48 AM   #15
I see you now..................
longbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
longbow's Tacoma Gallery
Had the same issue with our Rot, got into some paint tubes (water based) and grapped rainbow for a week.
Our Bostons are up to no good also, here is what I did when they got past 6 months. Took some Tabasco and watered it down, and covered an area I know he/they were hitting. Only took once and it was over, now don't get me wrong it was not super hot, just enough for them realize this BLOWS.
I also have the large paper towel rolls, and shoved three in together somewhat stiff, and have smacked their butts with it, again it does not hurt, but it is more of the sound. One smack on my hand and they hit their bed.
Another thing to try, it a special chew toy. When you think they are gonna get into something give the toy to them, the light bulb will finally go off.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:24 AM   #16
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Our dog Molly has been up to simmilar antics. She seems to think all the gifts under the tree are hers, so she has to investigate. We tell her "NO" and she leaves them alone.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:45 AM   #17
Aspiring wrench monkey
TacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of light

TacoCo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post
She has been damn near beaten all 3 times. I use a news paper rolled up, the noise is also supposed to help scare them. I hit her until my arm is tired. Some how she removed all the decorative balls, ice cycles, some lights and the angel. Thats why I hit her so much. The first time wasn't soo bad for her but the last 2 were. She know when she has done bad because she hides on the sofa, as opposed to greeting us at the door.
wow, and you have a pit bull? good luck with that.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:47 AM   #18
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Maybe she is Jewish?
Old 12-13-2008, 06:07 AM   #19
rabble rabble rabble
dud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Humane Officer
Name: Dan
dud122's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dud122
Quote:
Hopefully this is a tad embellished. Next time throw a few j/k's or smileys in there to show you aren't as much of an asshole or neanderthal as this comment makes you out to be.

If your idea of training is to beat them with a paper till your arm is tired then you probably shouldn't have a dog. If your dog only goes after the tree and gifts then why not close her off from that room while your gone when you have a tree up in your house.

I have 2 pitts that chew on my couch when I am at work. My first impulse was to punt them across the yard like a football. J/K
Instead I built a barrier to put up in a door way to block them off from the rest of the house so now they can run from the backyard through the doggy door and into the basement while I'm gone. And I gave them all sorts of stuff to rip up. They play all day and it helps curb their energy levels a bit. I think they are passed the phase of chewing on the couch because I have left them home alone for a couple hours with no problems but I won't test this until I have the money to buy a new couch.

You are the one that chose to have a very high energy (and very intelligent) dog in your house, she didn't choose you, so it is your responsibility to make sure she is trained and has somewhere to release her energy.

Even though it is pretty inexcusable for a 6 month old pitt puppy to not know that the new tree in her new house covered in colorful shiney toys surrounded by colorful shiney boxes is something she isn't allowed to touch when everyone is gone.

Sorry... Done ranting.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:20 AM   #20
Hot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Pat
Hot Tamale's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Maybe she is Jewish?