1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

WOULD YOU TRAVEL TO MEXICO FOR SPRING BREAK?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by sofiasdad11, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Mar 15, 2012 at 11:41 AM
    brny67

brny67 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Moyock NC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport A/C
    I guess this is ur answer...:(

2. Mar 15, 2012 at 11:46 AM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
    I'd rather go someplace else as well since I've been to Mexico like 15 times. But I've still had no issues in Mexico, no corrupt Federales, didn't get robbed or have my head cut off. I had my car searched at a Federale checkpoint, no issues, no bribing, no asking for money. Just a simple search and they told me to have a nice day and to stay safe.

I'd go to Cancun in a heartbeat though.

3. Mar 15, 2012 at 12:01 PM
    vbibi

vbibi Well-Known Member

Member:
    san fransisco bay area
    Vehicle:
    2009 4door long bed
    I will go there in a hart beat. Lots of Americans go there for the fun and others for its proximity to Cuba. Mainly shopping for cigars. Our granddaughter is now 17 and has no desire to spend vacations with grandparents enymore, but we went there 9 times. never a problem.

4. Mar 15, 2012 at 12:16 PM
    kirkofwimbo

kirkofwimbo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 Tundra SR 4x4
    My parents are in Huatulco, Mexico right now on vacation. As long as your flying and not driving across the boarder I see no issues at all

5. Mar 15, 2012 at 5:42 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
    i've noticed a lot of comments of the style "it's safe IF ______", ..where you can fill in the blank with
    - do not travel at night
    - only stay in tourist areas
    - stay on the bus?
    - don't drive to xyz,..
    ...etc...

sounds like a fun shell game :rolleyes:

here's the U.S. State Dept. Travel Advisory for Mexico:
    http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_5665.html

if it were me, i'd look to vacation in the good ole USA, US territories, or Canada...

6. Mar 16, 2012 at 11:02 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    mexico is one of my favorite places on the planet. they have it all.

but no, i wont go. i DEFINITELY will not take my wife there. i wont put her in harm's way for the sake of a vacation. there are so many other great places to visit without the greater hint of danger.

i was in the middle of a fucking revolution in bangkok. was i scared..no..but i was very worried my wife was with me. if there was one seat on the plane, i would have put her on it.

7. Mar 16, 2012 at 11:03 AM
    rbeezy

rbeezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma SR5
    The closest I've been to Mexico, was San Jose...

8. Mar 16, 2012 at 11:11 AM
    Cr250jumper

Cr250jumper Señor member

Member:
    The moon
    Vehicle:
    50 shades of tan©
    Tacoma with some stuff melted to it
    The rare occasion is enough for me. I like places where thing like water are safe

9. Mar 16, 2012 at 11:16 AM
    nelson18matt

nelson18matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    if you want to go to mexico... just come to california

10. Mar 16, 2012 at 11:23 AM
    ffbartlett

ffbartlett Well-Known Member

Member:
    southern california
    Vehicle:
    2011 Reg Cab 4x4
    tint, bfg's, 5100's, tunnel cover.
    I was just down past ensenada this week surfing. drove my taco... no problems, I immediately get on the toll road down there once i cross the border. i guess it depends on where you are going in mexico. just be careful and keep a low profile.

11. Mar 16, 2012 at 11:24 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    i grew up in el paso. the greatest pleasure was to park a car near the border, walk into juarez and plop down on a bar stool in the "kentucky club". we would pound beers by the bucket.

12. Mar 16, 2012 at 6:45 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    NO

I believe you mean:

Panama City Beach, Florida. :thumbsup:

Destin has also become a magnet for the young and restless...

The kids are here now...the party has started...God help us all. :goingcrazy:

13. Mar 19, 2012 at 8:49 AM
    pyroskier

pyroskier Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Laramie, WY
    Vehicle:
    2004 Ext Cab TRD 3.4
    I was just there for a week, at this resort in Nuevo Vallarta. We have been there 7 times before, and we always feel safe. We stayed at the resort the entire time except for dinner in Bucerias one night. I never once felt like there was anything threatening or dangerous. I think it's all about know where is safe to go, and don't be a stupid tourist. Granted, we were staying in a very nice resort, and there were security guards around every corner. But overall, yes. Just don't do stupid stuff (ie. going out until 4 am at sketchy nightclubs, being drunk wandering around, being a stupid college kid). It's beautiful, and the local people are the nicest people I have ever met while traveling.

14. Mar 19, 2012 at 6:17 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    go on a big game trophy hunt in Africa!

15. Mar 19, 2012 at 8:21 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    I'm thinkin' lack of babes in bikini's kinda makes that a bummer of a spring break.

16. Mar 20, 2012 at 11:02 AM
    sofiasdad11

sofiasdad11 [OP] Reads more than posts

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Near the Windy City, but in the country
    Vehicle:
    2011 BLACK 4X4 DCLB TRD SPORT
    Flux capacitor (2nd gen version), toytec ultimate liftkit, amp research powersteps, custom katzkin heated leather incl. console cover, retraxpro retractable bed cover, earnhardt jr. cannons@18x9(summer),ballistic jesters@18x9 (winter),285/60/18 nitto grapplers, bodymatched bushwackers, the original Homertaco full satoshi " raptor" grill, viper 5704 remote/smart-start/alarm w/viper cellulor app, ravelco anti-theft device, ipcw tails, redline hoodstruts, oem roof rack, led maps/dome, backup light mod, swingcase storage box, jl audio stealthbox and amps,focal drivers,alpine carplay unit, pop&lock premium handle, seatbelt chime disabled, tailgate hoseclamp mod, rich evans caliper covers, weathertech digitalfit mats, flyzeye V2W,oem bedmat, salex console organizer,speeddawg shiftknob
    lol....:smack:

17. Mar 20, 2012 at 11:03 AM
    sofiasdad11

sofiasdad11 [OP] Reads more than posts

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Near the Windy City, but in the country
    Vehicle:
    2011 BLACK 4X4 DCLB TRD SPORT
    Flux capacitor (2nd gen version), toytec ultimate liftkit, amp research powersteps, custom katzkin heated leather incl. console cover, retraxpro retractable bed cover, earnhardt jr. cannons@18x9(summer),ballistic jesters@18x9 (winter),285/60/18 nitto grapplers, bodymatched bushwackers, the original Homertaco full satoshi " raptor" grill, viper 5704 remote/smart-start/alarm w/viper cellulor app, ravelco anti-theft device, ipcw tails, redline hoodstruts, oem roof rack, led maps/dome, backup light mod, swingcase storage box, jl audio stealthbox and amps,focal drivers,alpine carplay unit, pop&lock premium handle, seatbelt chime disabled, tailgate hoseclamp mod, rich evans caliper covers, weathertech digitalfit mats, flyzeye V2W,oem bedmat, salex console organizer,speeddawg shiftknob
    :rolleyes:.......

18. Mar 22, 2012 at 4:37 PM
    Whistler_Steve

Whistler_Steve Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Whistler, Canada
    Vehicle:
    06 Radiant Red TRD Offroad
    Icon Ext Travel Coilovers--LR Upper Control Arms--Icon 3 Leaf AAL--OME 182 Rear Shocks--BFG KM/2 285/75/16--Replica TT TRD FJ Wheels
    Man some of you guys are paranoid. Mexico is a big country just because there is unrest or Violence in one city doesn't mean the whole country is like that.

My girlfriend and I try to get down to Mexico once every couple of years, typically it is much cheaper than any of the other Vacation destination, and I always enjoy the food & culture in addition to the weather. I was last down in Cabo in September and will be heading to Cancun/Mayan Riviera next week.

Just a couple years ago (before we met) my girlfriend flew into Puerto Vallarta and did a road trip around the western coast of mexico. She was your typical good looking blonde 25 year old Tourist, along with her other girlfriends and had nothing but a great time, no hassles no worries.

As long as you use common sense and avoid sketchy areas mexico is no more dangerous than a trip to any majoy US city.

In fact if you compare the Homicide Rate of a Mexican State like Baja California Sur to those in the US you would notice that it is right near the middle, with 21 US states that have a higher homicide rate than it.

Ohh and people who suggested Jamaica but are afraid of Mexico are obviosuly still high from their last trip. Jamaica has one of the highest murder rates in the world..... Not that I am saying I wouldn't go to Jamaica myself but if you have reservations with Mexico but think Jamaica is OK you should give your head a shake

:pccoffee:

19. Mar 22, 2012 at 4:56 PM
    jdickey03

jdickey03 $enior M3MB3R

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    (SOLD)2006 Tacoma trd offroad
    3" skyjacker Lift,Pioneer touch screen unit. Relentless Rear Bumper.
    ^^ I agree man, my parents have a time share in Cabo, my grandparents in Cancun, in-laws in Puerto Vallerta. Been to cabo a couple times going back in may, been to P. Vallerta once. It's not as bad as the media makes it seem. I mean you can't be a retard when your down there. Especially in big tourist areas the law enforcement is on top of things. I know last time we were down in Cabo the mayor or something was killed and my parents were sketchy about doing activities. We walked into town everyday when we were in Cabo, and if we were still out in town when it got dark we just called up our resort and had a cab come get us. The only problems I've ever encountered down there was .
    1) (i posted it in a recent cabo thread) my fiance and her parents had given cash to a vendor to get them tickets to some activities and the guy never made it back(we're talking like $500) so i went and talked to his co-workers and they got very angry that the guy took off. They called him up and threatened to beat him up if he didnt come back. sure enough a couple hours later he showed up with the cash..(half in american, half in pesos.. so somewhere he spent $250 or something and had to use pesos..)

2) The other issue was in Puerto Vallerta, my father inlaw insists that because he's mexican that he can do whatever he wants in mexico, and knows everything about mexico. So he always rents his own car. Him and I went to the store from our resort and got pulled over by a cop. Apparently we were speeding, the cop was writing us a ticket and my father in-law was using his spanglish lol which i think pissed the cop off more.. anyways it was like a $150(american) ticket and we had to see a judge on friday(the day we were flying out).. I just asked the cop..in english, "Hey can we just pay you the fine, were flying out that day." The cop looked at me and said "you pay me, not ticket, no judge, no problem" We just went grocery shopping and I didnt have the full $150 on me, so I said "I have $80 bucks will that work?" the cop took the cash gave us both sheets of the ticket to rip up and away we went...

Another rule I use is dont take a lot of cash with you when your in town.
    Reason 1: A lot of places you can get lower prices if you "dont have that much cash"

Reason 2: if you get pulled over you dont have a ton of cash to bribe with.(I only thought this was a myth till it actually happend to us)

20. Mar 22, 2012 at 5:04 PM
    Warputer

Warputer Dirt Road Inspector

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Lake Murray, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road
    9" of Super Bro lift
    No way I would take a chance with my kids....your decision though. ;)

Products Discussed in

To Top