Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Best binoculars on a budget?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-24-2012, 05:10 PM   #1
Señorita Member
bethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beth
bethes's Tacoma Gallery
Best binoculars on a budget?

Don't have $2K to drop on Swarovskis or Leicas. And I don't need night vision.

So what are the best binoculars for around $150-200?
Old 05-17-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethes View Post
Don't have $2K to drop on Swarovskis or Leicas. And I don't need night vision.

So what are the best binoculars for around $150-200?

did you find anything? I am looking myself for a decent pair.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:34 PM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Range might not be great but you can't beat the price!

Sorry, I have nothing constructive to add... free bump!
Old 05-17-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
$200.

look at the lower end VORTEX binos. talked a buddy into getting a pair and he LOVES them.

i went big time on my pair!!
Old 05-17-2012, 05:07 PM   #5
blue97taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblue97taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblue97taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblue97taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblue97taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblue97taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblue97taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblue97taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblue97taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblue97taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblue97taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: alex
blue97taco's Tacoma Gallery
I have these, a little more than what you're looking for but I really like them.
http://www.basspro.com/Bushnell-Lege...10202482/77951
Old 05-17-2012, 08:09 PM   #6
Señorita Member
bethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bethes's Tacoma Gallery
Two months from now I'll be sure to say thanks.

Just kidding. Appreciate the tips, thanks.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:16 PM   #7
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Don't skimp on binoculars, although $2k is probably too much.
Bushnell is good, and at $250 should be around your price range, but don't go cheaper than that. Less than that it becomes a toy.
I have a Carl Zeiss and it is good, but probably around $500.

Also, check on brand names - beware - some good names now have low budget made in China crap, so even if it is a good name, check for quality.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #8
nfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GSM1
Name: Chris
nfs257's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure what you are going to use them for but I used a set of Tasco binoculars for years hunting. Somewhere between $50-150...
Old 05-17-2012, 08:28 PM   #9
..Slingin' up mud and we're scarying off bunnies..
186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Charles
186000mps's Tacoma Gallery
I have these and absolutely love them..Nikon Monarch (8x42), I use them for sighting deer, birds and even for checking out planets and stars.
they are waterproof and have a rubbery grip all around them.
about $250
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-7430-Mon.../dp/B00006AG6C
Old 05-18-2012, 06:06 AM   #10
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 186000mps View Post
I have these and absolutely love them..Nikon Monarch (8x42), I use them for sighting deer, birds and even for checking out planets and stars.
they are waterproof and have a rubbery grip all around them.
about $250
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-7430-Mon.../dp/B00006AG6C
I looked these up and they same really good. One reviewer stated questionable construction. What's up with that?
Old 05-18-2012, 06:23 AM   #11
CantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FTR
CantSitStill's Tacoma Gallery
Best binoculars on a budget?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1337343620.713000.jpgI have to admit that I don't have much knowledge to contribute, but I have these and they work well for me. My uncle is very outdoorsy and got them for me last year when he knew I wanted to get a pair. Waterproof, no slip grip, neoprene case and strap, rubber eye ups. Leupold Rogue.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:28 AM   #12
CantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FTR
CantSitStill's Tacoma Gallery
Looks to be around $160 and pretty good reviews. Best binoculars on a budget?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1337344087.785050.jpg
Old 05-18-2012, 06:35 AM   #13
..Slingin' up mud and we're scarying off bunnies..
186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Charles
186000mps's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeesnob View Post
I looked these up and they same really good. One reviewer stated questionable construction. What's up with that?
The negative most people find is that there ia a one piece cover/cap for the eyepiece end which has a tendency to come loose. This can be solved by opening up the eyepiece distance to put more tension on it. Too me no big deal. The resolution on these is super crisp! I own two Celestron binoculars as well, but much prefer these.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:01 AM   #14
Señorita Member

bethes's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome. I'm really just looking for a decent pair to throw in the truck and use when I'm out doing whatever. Not only do I not have $2K for a pair, but if I saved up and bought a pair like that I'd worry about breaking them all the time anyway so I'd be less likely to use them. $250 would be fine.

I'll be using them for hiking, looking at animals or rock strata across a valley or whatever, just general use. I used to have fairly cheap binoculars in my truck, but a friend's 3-year-old daughter fell in love with them while riding in my Tacoma last summer and I let her keep them since I wanted a nicer pair anyway. But I haven't found a pair I like since then.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:31 PM   #15
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Bumping this thread as I am looking for a good set of binos for general use , my budget is about $400-500 tops

Thanks for any suggestions
Old 03-16-2013, 12:37 PM   #16
OldGeezer42 has much to be proud ofOldGeezer42 has much to be proud ofOldGeezer42 has much to be proud ofOldGeezer42 has much to be proud ofOldGeezer42 has much to be proud ofOldGeezer42 has much to be proud ofOldGeezer42 has much to be proud ofOldGeezer42 has much to be proud ofOldGeezer42 has much to be proud ofOldGeezer42 has much to be proud of

Army: Desert Storm Vet.
Name: Adam
OldGeezer42's Tacoma Gallery
Nikon ATB 's good glass, waterproof ,several different field of views , rubber body, I use mine 100-150 days out of year , I'm very hard on them and they hold up very well.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:38 PM   #17
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGeezer42 View Post
Nikon ATB 's good glass, waterproof ,several different field of views , rubber body, I use mine 100-150 days out of year , I'm very hard on them and they hold up very well.
Thanks
Old 03-16-2013, 12:56 PM   #18
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGeezer42 View Post
Another +1 for Nikon's ATBs. I have 12x42 and love them.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:01 PM   #19
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Bumping this thread as I am looking for a good set of binos for general use , my budget is about $400-500 tops

Thanks for any suggestions
the BEST glass in that price range. Vortex Vipers. you can run them over with a truck and they will replace them with an apology for letting their binoculars get in the way of your truck.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:05 PM   #20

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
the BEST glass in that price range. Vortex Vipers. you can run them over with a truck and they will replace them with an apology for letting their binoculars get in the way of your truck.
8x32 are over $600 here , 10x42 are about $50 more than that

They look cool though

Products Discussed in this Thread