1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Camry's...anybody own one or have opinion.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by kimo, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Apr 2, 2012 at 4:03 PM
    kimo

kimo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Knuckle Head
    Kauai
    Vehicle:
    09 Super White TRD Sport DCLB 4X4!
    My wife is shopping for a new car. So far she like's the new Camrys. Is going to look at Suburu's and Nissans as well.

I read some posts on toyotanation forum about how cheaply made some of the interior is and noise from mirror's . Crappy e-tune and nav system stinks too according to many. I don't think my wife wants e-tune or nav anyhow.

I also read that dash starts creaking and making noise after a few hundred miles. I guess like the tacoma's, they dont all have these problems. But when you research them, these issue's pop up.

2. Apr 2, 2012 at 6:13 PM
    WVtriple

WVtriple Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    WV eastern panhandle
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD Sport
    Satoshi grill mod, Redline Tuning Hood struts and tailgate E-Z down, HID headlights and fogs, LED tail lamp upgrade, TRD exhaust, FJ TRD Anthracite Wheels, T-REX eyelids, power sunroof, 5100 Billies and ToyTec AAL, K&N drop-in, TRD seatcovers, Weathertech floor mats, Fog light any-time mod, Pop-n-lock, slotted front rotors with ceramic pads, BenWa power rear slider mod, blackout badges, and blacked out center stack and console. 7" HID's behind the grill. LED light bar in the lower grill. Trailer plug relocate. Auxiliary reverse LED's wired in to be manual or auto on when in reverse.
    I travel quite a bit for work, so I get the opportunity to drive many brands of cars. Rental car I feel are a good sample of what an auto makers vehicle can really take. I won't lie :rolleyes:, I have put a few rentals through the paces just to see what it can do, I'm sure like a lot of other people, we abuse the rental fleet. Having said that the Camry is a solid performer. I got one with close to 10k on the clock (in rental speak thats getting old), and it felt strong in the engine department (4cyl), shifted well, no unusual creaks or buzzy noises. Its a great family sedan period.
    But why get a Camry or an Accord (to me they are both very similar in mission and how they go about accomplishing it) if you can get say a left over Acura. I was looking for a new daily driver, and car wise I'm biased slightly to the Honda side. The TSX is an Accord in europe so why not have a look. I was able to get a base 4cyl TSX for only a few hundred dollars more than a similarily equipped Accord EX-L. Which means Leather, power roof, heated seats, heated mirrors, power seats, bluetooth, HID headlights, better suspension and in the TSX the 2.4 litre is rated at 200hp as opposed to the Accords 170hp. IMHO the TSX looks way better that either the Camry or Accord. The TSX does not look so (for lack of a better term) older people. ;)
    Anyhow not to change the subject off the Camry it is a very good family sedan. Solid, reliable, predictable........just like vanilla ice cream.
    Good luck car shopping.

3. Apr 2, 2012 at 6:19 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I like them, and would have considered one, but all of the new ones I see on the freeway, going 70 or more, have the rear side panell by the bumper/wheel shaking. Seems the build quality was skimped on a little.

4. Apr 2, 2012 at 6:24 PM
    The1youluv2hate

The1youluv2hate Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peps
    SAnta Paula CA
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD sPort 4x4 (11mgmsport)
    oem pro grill 17” pro rep wheels Fox dsc shocks
    Had a 07 SE loved it and test drove a 2012 SE it handled better

5. Apr 2, 2012 at 6:41 PM
    theredofshaw

theredofshaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Somewhere on the East coast
    Vehicle:
    not a taco (guess that means I can be a MOD now)
    (totaled) 2011 Tacoma DC
    wife's is a 2010 Camry LE, interior is VERY cheaply made and the seats are uncomfortable as hell when you are in them longer than an hour or two. drove it from FL to CA and from so-cal to nor-cal and had to stop very frequently to avoid the back pain. I would recommend getting one with leather and comfier seats. she has the basic package on hers which doesn't include very much. if I had a say in it, or even present for the purchase (she bought it in 09 a couple months before we were married), we would have gone with the hybrid or a higher trim package.

handling wise-it is a blast to drive, especially on the mountain roads. even for a 4cylinder, it has ALOT of kick.

6. Apr 2, 2012 at 6:49 PM
    elmo7

elmo7 Easily Replaceable Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD OR 4x4
    Not a fan of em at all. Hondas are reliable, but their styling is leaving a bit to be desired, at least these days, to me. If I was looking now, I'd check Kia and Hyundai. You may laugh, but think about it; so did everyone when Honda and Toyota first came to town. The Kia Optima offers a lot of value IMO. Hyundai has put some good looking designs out. They are pushing up market. I haven't spent anytime behind the wheel w/any of them.

7. Apr 2, 2012 at 6:53 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Have you driven a Subaru Legacy? AWD makes a huge difference in handling.

8. Apr 2, 2012 at 7:05 PM
    kimo

Member:
    First Name:
    Knuckle Head
    Kauai
    Vehicle:
    All good suggestions. I asked her to look at the Suburu and the Hyundai. The tsx acura looks really sporty, might have to see what they are offering for 2012. thanks

9. Apr 3, 2012 at 6:55 AM
    Burns

Burns Excellent Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.0", Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 265/75/16 Firestone Destination AT2's
    I test drove a 12 Camry back in November and I was really impressed, if I had to replace my Taco this car would on my short list.

10. Apr 3, 2012 at 7:29 AM
    resq330

resq330 El' Capi-Tan

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    VA
    Vehicle:
    13 MGM DCSB TRD-Sport
    K&N Drop-In, Dick Cepek 'Torque' Wheels, Wet Okole Seat Covers, LED Interior
    Don't leave out Venza as an option as well. My wife bought one last year and she loves it!

11. Apr 4, 2012 at 10:03 AM
    magikbean562

magikbean562 once flirted with danger, danger got clingy

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    socal
    Vehicle:
    pinto
    33" mudders
    i have a an 04 solara ( camry coupe) and i love it. i can only assume they got better with age.

12. Apr 4, 2012 at 10:12 AM
    Trifenix

Trifenix Well-Known Member

Member:
    so cal
    Vehicle:
    99 LT 5 lug Taco
    2012 camry looks good and sporty.

depends what you want. ultimate reliability is camry. performance and pretty good reliability..honda. up and coming bang for your buck...hyundai kia. top notch performance with high maintenance..euro.

13. May 10, 2012 at 4:31 PM
    kimo

Member:
    First Name:
    Knuckle Head
    Kauai
    Vehicle:
    My wife ended up picking the 2012 Camry SE 4cyl. I am glad she did. We test drove nissan maxima and Honda accords. While the Maxima was a sweet ride it was not as sporty as the Camry, more of a sedan really. The Honda accord rode like my 93 accord and didn't have as much power. We even test drove Honda's 190 hp 4cyl and it was lacking big time compared to the Camry. She didn't really want the Nav and etune, but to get the factory moonroof, you have to go with the full pkg. I set up her blue tooth to our cell phones and she love's the Nav too.

14. May 10, 2012 at 5:39 PM
    TacoCat

TacoCat These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    Nice pick. I had a 99 v6 5 speed that i traded in when buying my truck. Shouldve kept it and bought the truck too. Just didnt have enough driveway space.

15. May 10, 2012 at 5:46 PM
    GotLift37

GotLift37 Bangers Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    North East AL
    Vehicle:
    07 4Runner 4WD
    2.5" front lift (leeper coilover) 1" body 16" Dick Cepek DC1 Black/polished 295/75/16 General Grabber AT2 Tinted Taillights 5% tint OEM Acura TSX HID Retrofit White LED dash light conversion WMW roof rack
    my grandpa has a 12 Camry SE with the eco. mom drove it to florida 360miles or so... still had over a half tank of gas. but according to the range only had 150-160 miles till empty.
    Rides smooth. Pretty powerful little car. interior is nice seats are real nice soft. anymore info lmk ill see what i can find out

edit.. oh yea.. my grandpa went from a 09 taco to 11 camry 0% interest.. and about 6 months later he wanted something else so he bought a 12 camry loves it better. but he wishes he still had his truck to do truck things

16. May 10, 2012 at 6:00 PM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    V6 Camry= beast mode activate

Products Discussed in

To Top