1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

If your dog were to attack someone?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by luk8272, Dec 17, 2008.

?

What would you do If your dog attacked someone, in your yard, or out on a walk?

1. Put it to sleep (Professionally)

17 vote(s)
    19.1%
  2. Kill it (yourself)

20 vote(s)
    22.5%
  3. Hide it

51 vote(s)
    57.3%
  4. Give it away

2 vote(s)
    2.2%
  1. Dec 17, 2008 at 9:50 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 [OP] Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    I have been teaching my GF how to take the dog out on a walk around the block. I went first with the dog for a few blocks and noticed a few large dogs out and about, my girl behaved fine but the others were a bit roudy. And one of the owners came out and yelled at me, that was handled. So now I have marked some areas for my GF to walk the dog. But what if it were to happen later when she gets bigger? Just a question. I know we have a lot of dog lovers.

2. Dec 17, 2008 at 9:51 AM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    depends, was it provoked?

3. Dec 17, 2008 at 9:59 AM
    HerNameIsLucy

HerNameIsLucy I miss Lucy. :-(

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    She's gone but not forgotten.
    Big difference between attacking someone in your yard and attacking someone on a walk. In your yard he's defending what he sees as his territory. Out on a walk YOU were in control and should have prevented it if possible. If it wasn't possible for you to prevent it, time to do something, training preferable, no walks anymore, or bye bye Rover.

4. Dec 17, 2008 at 10:00 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 [OP] Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.

Just dogs in a yard barking or people fussing. The guy that yelled at me was very rude, I continued my walk, bringing the dog home then went back later to talk to him. But how would he haved reacted to a female walking? What a shame.

5. Dec 17, 2008 at 10:05 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 [OP] Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    To answer my own poll, I feel it would never happen but to apply it to myself. I would have to say no ill affects would come to her, as I am confident in her behavior.

This was a question posted on the net and I was trying to apply it as best I could to myself. I also had the experience walking the other day and was looking over local laws to ensure I am within my rights to walk her.

6. Dec 17, 2008 at 10:08 AM
    trtripoli

trtripoli lower management

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    07 4,0 L, 6M, Dbl Cab, TRD Off Road
    Eclipse AVN6620 JL 500/1 amp JL 13TW5 sub JL 300/4 JL XR-650CSi Mr Marv Box Blu tooth XM radio Back Up camera, RAAMmat and Ensolite everywhere but ceiling
    I think it depends on who they attack too. I got bit by a dog while I was mowing a lawn a few years back. I love dogs and wished nothing bad on them or there owners. my coworkers were telling me to press charges, get some money, basically be an asshole. I was a bit disgusted with the whole thing, and I just asked that the owner pay my bill from the hospital for my tetanus and other shots (40 bucks).

7. Dec 17, 2008 at 10:09 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    There is NO way my dog would do anything to anyone. She doesnt like people or other animals, and when she is out side, if she sees another one (person or animal) she comes running to me.

8. Dec 17, 2008 at 10:10 AM
    SilverSeven

SilverSeven Rock Solid Toy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordon
    South Jurzee
    Vehicle:
    6" 35s mud and scratched to shit
    none of the above. if my dog attacks you, you deserve it. And i aint killin my dog because i like him more than i like you!

my dog is pretty nice though :D

9. Dec 17, 2008 at 10:17 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 [OP] Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    I figured we were all on the same page, I was bored.
    Didn't we have a member on here that had his dog bite someone, he was broke up about it, as I would be.

10. Dec 17, 2008 at 10:18 AM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    If i still had my boxer, it would never attack anyone out on a walk unless there was some kind of danger, otherwise i would never allow it. In the yard, thats a different story. GTFO B*tch! They deserve it. As long as you have "warning" signs on the fence, then there is no reason for ANYONE to go into your yard.

11. Dec 17, 2008 at 10:20 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 [OP] Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
  12. Dec 17, 2008 at 10:22 AM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
  13. Dec 17, 2008 at 10:30 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 [OP] Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
  14. Dec 17, 2008 at 10:33 AM
    TacoCo

TacoCo Aspiring wrench monkey

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road DC V6 Magnetic Gray
    Snugtop XV Shell, Yakima Rack, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Michelin AT2's, Partially Debadged, HID conversion, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Rear leaf spring TSB, Foglights always on Mod, URD Short Throw Shifter, Toytec Coilovers on the way!
    What did he yell at you about?

15. Dec 17, 2008 at 10:37 AM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    I don't like any of the options here... A lot of variables would come into play on this one on making a decision with this…

I’d have to ask a lot of questions on the situation…
    · Was it a Kid?
    · A Baby?
    · An Adult?
    · Did they do anything to provoke an attack?
    · Where were they? My Yard? The street?
    · Did my dog get loose?
    · Is it a recurring issue?
    · Etc.

Ultimately, I think I’d have to do it on a case-by-case basis and even then if it was the fault of the dog – I’m not sure that I’d put it down…

Dogs can be rehabilitated – even if they attack something/someone... Just watch that show "Dog Whisperer" or take an example such as Michael Vick's dogs... Most dogs can be rehabilitated to where they have little to no aggressive tendencies...

Just my $.02

16. Dec 17, 2008 at 10:54 AM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm not saying anyone here is a bad owner but there are a lot of people who IMO don't deserve to have a dog, or any pet for that matter. Especially the people who "train" there dog to be mean and viscous. It isn't the dogs fault, its the owner 100%. I know a big rottie that is a big suck, very nice and well trained dog. However he has a history of escaping his yard and "attacking" people. He hasn't really attacked anyone, but when a 150lb dog comes running at you without an owner in sight I can see that being frightening. SPCA says if hes seen out of the yard again he will be put down. I know the owner of this dog myself and he is not a dangerous dog IMO. If his dog had hurt anyone, he would have put it down himself without hesitation.

17. Dec 17, 2008 at 11:29 AM
    OU812

OU812 ban the term murdered out

Member:
    First Name:
    danusa
    Kilroy was here
    Vehicle:
    13 DblCab LB 4X4
    Nothing yet, brand new!
    I wouldn't do anything to the dog. Assess the situation and deal with it appropiately. Usually the dog is in the right. It's antagonized or someone is tresspassing. Either way for the person- too bad, too sad. Pat the dog on the head, give it a bone. :)
    Slightly off topic-- good bumper sticker I saw--

"The more people I meet, the more I like my dog" :D

18. Dec 17, 2008 at 11:48 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 [OP] Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:

This fella has a rather large Rott on a chain and a chow (so it looks to be). The chow ran to the road which it can reach about a foot or so onto. I switched sides of the road. When we crossed the Rott he ran towards us dragging his large chain across their van. He came out yelling and cussing. I didn't really pay any mind to him I wanted my dog to know who was the boss. I am proud of her she just looked at the dogs and the man but kept on walking. When I went back he was bitching because someone walks their dog in his yard and picks at his, he thought it was me. He was angry about the van but it was his wife's fault. He apologized to me. So everything turned out fine.

19. Dec 17, 2008 at 11:50 AM
    FlawedXJ

FlawedXJ mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    13 F150 FX4, 99 jeep xj, 04 msm miata
    I actually have a jeep now. Imagine that.
    kill the person so they can't tell?

20. Dec 17, 2008 at 12:19 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    my dog would only steal their food or lick all the kids faces because they are so low to the ground. :p

What I notice in the dog parks or when walking on leashes that dogs are much more restricted and get freaked easier. Even my little daschund gets uppity (yes I know too funny) on a leash. Its the whole alpha thing

Products Discussed in

To Top