Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

If your dog were to attack someone?

View Poll Results: What would you do If your dog attacked someone, in your yard, or out on a walk?
Put it to sleep (Professionally) 17 19.10%
Kill it (yourself) 20 22.47%
Hide it 51 57.30%
Give it away 2 2.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-17-2008, 09:50 AM   #1
Poodoo
luk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
If your dog were to attack someone?

I have been teaching my GF how to take the dog out on a walk around the block. I went first with the dog for a few blocks and noticed a few large dogs out and about, my girl behaved fine but the others were a bit roudy. And one of the owners came out and yelled at me, that was handled. So now I have marked some areas for my GF to walk the dog. But what if it were to happen later when she gets bigger? Just a question. I know we have a lot of dog lovers.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:59 AM   #3
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
Big difference between attacking someone in your yard and attacking someone on a walk. In your yard he's defending what he sees as his territory. Out on a walk YOU were in control and should have prevented it if possible. If it wasn't possible for you to prevent it, time to do something, training preferable, no walks anymore, or bye bye Rover.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:02 AM   #5
Motorshooter
Motorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of light

Navy: IC2 SS
Motorshooter's Tacoma Gallery
Say "good dog!

"What the hell is someone doing in my yard not invited, provoking my dog?"

Out on a walk, "My life was in danger from a stranger and my dog saved me"
Old 12-17-2008, 10:05 AM   #6
Poodoo
luk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
To answer my own poll, I feel it would never happen but to apply it to myself. I would have to say no ill affects would come to her, as I am confident in her behavior.

This was a question posted on the net and I was trying to apply it as best I could to myself. I also had the experience walking the other day and was looking over local laws to ensure I am within my rights to walk her.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:08 AM   #7
lower management
trtripoli is on a distinguished road

trtripoli's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to trtripoli
I think it depends on who they attack too. I got bit by a dog while I was mowing a lawn a few years back. I love dogs and wished nothing bad on them or there owners. my coworkers were telling me to press charges, get some money, basically be an asshole. I was a bit disgusted with the whole thing, and I just asked that the owner pay my bill from the hospital for my tetanus and other shots (40 bucks).
Old 12-17-2008, 10:09 AM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
There is NO way my dog would do anything to anyone. She doesnt like people or other animals, and when she is out side, if she sees another one (person or animal) she comes running to me.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:10 AM   #9
Rock Solid Toy
SilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordon
SilverSeven's Tacoma Gallery
none of the above. if my dog attacks you, you deserve it. And i aint killin my dog because i like him more than i like you!

my dog is pretty nice though
Old 12-17-2008, 10:18 AM   #11
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
If i still had my boxer, it would never attack anyone out on a walk unless there was some kind of danger, otherwise i would never allow it. In the yard, thats a different story. GTFO B*tch! They deserve it. As long as you have "warning" signs on the fence, then there is no reason for ANYONE to go into your yard.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:22 AM   #13
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post
That really sucks..If that were to happen I would find another home w/ no kids..
Old 12-17-2008, 10:33 AM   #15
Aspiring wrench monkey
TacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of light

TacoCo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post
Just dogs in a yard barking or people fussing. The guy that yelled at me was very rude, I continued my walk, bringing the dog home then went back later to talk to him. But how would he haved reacted to a female walking? What a shame.
What did he yell at you about?
Old 12-17-2008, 10:37 AM   #16
"Mark It Zero"
Agent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sergeant, 0261
Agent475's Tacoma Gallery
I don't like any of the options here... A lot of variables would come into play on this one on making a decision with this…

I’d have to ask a lot of questions on the situation…
· Was it a Kid?
· A Baby?
· An Adult?
· Did they do anything to provoke an attack?
· Where were they? My Yard? The street?
· Did my dog get loose?
· Is it a recurring issue?
· Etc.

Ultimately, I think I’d have to do it on a case-by-case basis and even then if it was the fault of the dog – I’m not sure that I’d put it down…

Dogs can be rehabilitated – even if they attack something/someone... Just watch that show "Dog Whisperer" or take an example such as Michael Vick's dogs... Most dogs can be rehabilitated to where they have little to no aggressive tendencies...

Just my $.02
Old 12-17-2008, 10:54 AM   #17
sonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nice

sonjay's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not saying anyone here is a bad owner but there are a lot of people who IMO don't deserve to have a dog, or any pet for that matter. Especially the people who "train" there dog to be mean and viscous. It isn't the dogs fault, its the owner 100%. I know a big rottie that is a big suck, very nice and well trained dog. However he has a history of escaping his yard and "attacking" people. He hasn't really attacked anyone, but when a 150lb dog comes running at you without an owner in sight I can see that being frightening. SPCA says if hes seen out of the yard again he will be put down. I know the owner of this dog myself and he is not a dangerous dog IMO. If his dog had hurt anyone, he would have put it down himself without hesitation.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:29 AM   #18
ban the term murdered out
OU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gas Turbine Elec
Name: danusa
OU812's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't do anything to the dog. Assess the situation and deal with it appropiately. Usually the dog is in the right. It's antagonized or someone is tresspassing. Either way for the person- too bad, too sad. Pat the dog on the head, give it a bone.
Slightly off topic-- good bumper sticker I saw--

"The more people I meet, the more I like my dog"
Old 12-17-2008, 11:48 AM   #19
Poodoo

luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoCo View Post
What did he yell at you about?

This fella has a rather large Rott on a chain and a chow (so it looks to be). The chow ran to the road which it can reach about a foot or so onto. I switched sides of the road. When we crossed the Rott he ran towards us dragging his large chain across their van. He came out yelling and cussing. I didn't really pay any mind to him I wanted my dog to know who was the boss. I am proud of her she just looked at the dogs and the man but kept on walking. When I went back he was bitching because someone walks their dog in his yard and picks at his, he thought it was me. He was angry about the van but it was his wife's fault. He apologized to me. So everything turned out fine.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:50 AM   #20
mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy
FlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
FlawedXJ's Tacoma Gallery
kill the person so they can't tell?