LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Building first home

Old 04-04-2012, 12:29 PM   #21
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomada View Post
Ya I'm planning on icf right tithe ceiling.

Siding will be either hardyboard (or similar) or cedar. I have a friend that mills it. Just have to decide if the extra maintenance is worth it.
You going to frame interior walls inside the ICF's for the services ?
Old 04-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #22
Tacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tacomada's Tacoma Gallery
Electrical etc gets cut into the foam from my understanding of it. I don't have a whole lot of knowledge on the process to be honest.

Interior walls ( I.e bedroom, bathroom etc) are wood.

I know you have to watch where exterior doors are placed as the walls are essentially 12 inches thick. I think it's 6 inch concrete, and 4 or 6 inches of foam total.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #23
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Electrical etc gets cut into the foam from my understanding of it. I don't have a whole lot of knowledge on the process to be honest.

Interior walls ( I.e bedroom, bathroom etc) are wood.

I know you have to watch where exterior doors are placed as the walls are essentially 12 inches thick. I think it's 6 inch concrete, and 4 or 6 inches of foam total.
Does Terrace qualify for the higher R values in the code ? Our wall R value here is 20 , just wondering what it is there .
Old 04-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #25

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusher View Post
I would also offer...vinyl is final. Anything you can do with vinyl -- exterior trim, facia, sills, casing -- will last "forever". Painting wood trim every few years gets old. White vinyl tim is not inexpensive but once it's done, it's done.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:02 PM   #27

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You'd rather scrape and paint???
Yes
Old 04-04-2012, 01:06 PM   #28
Tacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I would think a higher r value is required but I'm not positive what the standard is here.

Good question to get sorted out. I think the walls end up r27 wih the icf build. Could be pulling that out my ass though.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:08 PM   #29

I agree I'd stay away from vinyl, except windows. Seems like that's a good idea. And they come in colours now apparently?
Old 04-04-2012, 01:09 PM   #30

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I would think a higher r value is required but I'm not positive what the standard is here.

Good question to get sorted out. I think the walls end up r27 wih the icf build. Could be pulling that out my ass though.
There was a revision to the BC Building Code in 2010 I believe , part of the governments " Greening the Building Code " push , it raised R values for some areas of BC . My area ( south coast ) was unaffected , not sure about Terrace .
Old 04-04-2012, 01:12 PM   #31

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I agree I'd stay away from vinyl, except windows. Seems like that's a good idea. And they come in colours now apparently?
Yes , you can get colours . Fibreglass windows are a decent option too .

The new code also requires Low E glass in the windows . They are awesome for holding the heat in the house in winter and keeping it cool in summer . I installed some vinyl Low E windows in my own house .
Old 04-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #32
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
repost from the other thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
I've been a builder my whole life. And have lived in 11 new homes in the past 25 years...currently building #12.

3 br 2 ba oversized 2 car gar. 9' & 10' ceilings...2x6 construction...granite...custom wood cabs...stainless appliances...reclaimed heart pine wood floors...bla...bla...bla...

part of this ambitious project:

Home on the left...guest cottage on the right (for M-I-L)...and 26x36 wood shop in the middle.

On a double lot at the end of a cul-de-sac...in a gated waterfront community with bay access, and only a few minutes drive to the beach (Gulf of Mexico).

I'm an old worn out carpenter and may die in this one.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:17 PM   #33
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I would also offer...vinyl is final. Anything you can do with vinyl -- exterior trim, facia, sills, casing -- will last "forever". Painting wood trim every few years gets old. White vinyl tim is not inexpensive but once it's done, it's done.
Hardie cement composite siding FTW!!!
Old 04-04-2012, 01:21 PM   #34

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hardie cement composite siding FTW!!!
Meh

Depends on the climate you are building in
Old 04-04-2012, 01:22 PM   #35

Good to know. Everything is geared to be efficient these days.

Debating the heat pump idea. From what I understand cost is 5-6k.

Looks like our we need r 20 wall and r40 roof required.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:22 PM   #36
GO TIGERS!
holyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Titto
holyfield19's Tacoma Gallery
My .02 is turn the garage door to the side wall, and add some more windows to the wall that would now be in front. I just don't like garage doors that face the street, and more windows would open up the front of the house a little. I built log houses and some stick frames for about 12 years, but now i work in the nuclear industry. Just my thoughts.

And I agree with Oz about the vinyl.......
Old 04-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #37

Quote:
repost from the other thread:
Nice looking house.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #38
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Our last place was a beach house across the street from the Gulf.

started like this:

Old 04-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #39

Wish I could afford to have room for a guest house. Maybe a modest shop in the future.

Lot is decent size 78 by 134 feet. Treed park land behind so at least a little privacy.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:27 PM   #40
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Meh

Depends on the climate you are building in
properly installed...it is excellent in all climates.