Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Building first home

Old 04-04-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
Tacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tacomada's Tacoma Gallery
Building first home

Just closed purchase on a piece of land and planning to build my first home in the very near future. Since TW is full of so many great minds I figured i'd post up to see what everyone thinks about home plans.

This is the plan we've picked out.

http://www.westhomeplanners.com/House-Plan-1479.html

We are going to leave the basement unfinished, just what's required for local code.

As far as construction, I am planning on using independent concrete forms for the foundation and walls to the roof line.

There have to be a lot of home owners on here so any thoughts/suggestions. What would you change, where would you spend extra and where would you save?

Am I off my rocker for building my first house instead of buying?
Old 04-04-2012, 12:37 PM   #3
Tacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
This will be fun to follow
Want to head up north and build it for me?
Old 04-04-2012, 12:37 PM   #4
SUPER-ER MOD
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomada View Post
Just closed purchase on a piece of land and planning to build my first home in the very near future. Since TW is full of so many great minds I figured i'd post up to see what everyone thinks about home plans.

We are going to leave the basement unfinished, just what's required for local code.

As far as construction, I am planning on using independent concrete forms for the foundation and walls to the roof line.

There have to be a lot of home owners on here so any thoughts/suggestions. What would you change, where would you spend extra and where would you save?

insulated concrete forms.

I would suggest staying away from internet plans. they are usually very vague, full of mistakes and don't contain the correct information for your area. you would be better off to show that link to someone local who does drafting work and have them make up plans that will meet your local codes and requirements.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #5
SUPERCHARGED!!!
gusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Greg
gusher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

What are you planning for flooring? I started out with a pretty small Cape (24'x34') and I will offer that all tiling we did we placed at a 45-degree angle. Really makes a smaller sized room look bigger. And it looks a little less industrial.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #6
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Want to head up north and build it for me?
Where are you ?
Old 04-04-2012, 12:44 PM   #7
SUPERCHARGED!!!
gusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Greg
gusher's Tacoma Gallery
Also, if you can, I would pay whatever it cost (of course within reason) for at least a full 8' ceiling height in basement. if you could do 9' you'll be happy you did because there's nothing worse than a basement ceiling that's scraping the top of your head. Been in so many that, by the time you drop a ceiling to clear all the pipes & duct work, you don't have any ceiling height.

Also, LVL -vs- 2x10 joists with lally coulmns is worth whatever it costs. I put a 20x22' addition on and I think it was $600-800 to "upgrade" from having 2x10" joists with a lally column right in the middle of the room (read that right in the middle of my POOL TABLE) to LVL beams that can clear-span that distance no problem. Easily the best $$$ I've spent in a while.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTgirl View Post
insulated concrete forms.

I would suggest staying away from internet plans. they are usually very vague, full of mistakes and don't contain the correct information for your area. you would be better off to show that link to someone local who does drafting work and have them make up plans that will meet your local codes and requirements.

Thanks MT, definitely insulated not independent... Logix is the brand im looking at. I've heard good things, and stayed in a couple houses for a month that were constructed using the forms. Definitely quiet, and nice constant temperature.

The builders we have giving us quotes are going to deal with modifying the plans. Walls need to be thicker and trusses have to be engineered for our local snow load as well...
Old 04-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusher View Post
What are you planning for flooring? I started out with a pretty small Cape (24'x34') and I will offer that all tiling we did we placed at a 45-degree angle. Really makes a smaller sized room look bigger. And it looks a little less industrial.
We are thinking wood and tile. I like the angle idea, not only makes it look bigger, but probably a little less 'spec' home ish.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Where are you ?
Terrace... up on the north coast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusher View Post
Also, if you can, I would pay whatever it cost (of course within reason) for at least a full 8' ceiling height in basement. if you could do 9' you'll be happy you did because there's nothing worse than a basement ceiling that's scraping the top of your head. Been in so many that, by the time you drop a ceiling to clear all the pipes & duct work, you don't have any ceiling height.

Also, LVL -vs- 2x10 joists with lally coulmns is worth whatever it costs. I put a 20x22' addition on and I think it was $600-800 to "upgrade" from having 2x10" joists with a lally column right in the middle of the room (read that right in the middle of my POOL TABLE) to LVL beams that can clear-span that distance no problem. Easily the best $$$ I've spent in a while.
Yes! The lot has a little slope to it so we can have the basement walk out to the back yard. Builder gave the same advice on the joists... I have a pool table to put down there as well so definitely dont want any beams hanging down.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:54 PM   #11
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Terrace... up on the north coast.
oh , Ripbum

My wife is from there , my stonemason too .

So , I assume your area requires rainscreen too , being on the coast ?

Have you considered radiant thin slab over framing heat or exterior insulation over your framing ?
Old 04-04-2012, 01:07 PM   #12

Sounds like you'd enjoy a trip up. Maybe fit in some fishing!

Radiant thins lab over framing. That is on floor eating correct? We were thinking of putting a heat pump in, and I think that works along with it? Could be confusing ideas though?

The icf forms have insulation on the interior and exterior built in. Part of why we are leaning that way, suppose to e more efficient as far as heating and cooling. Not that we need much cooling up here.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:11 PM   #13
My name is Mudd
mcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant future

Name: mike
mcdowell's Tacoma Gallery
Blown in insulation. Insulate, insulate, insulate.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:12 PM   #14
jrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Scott
jrzyshore's Tacoma Gallery
I had my house built in 2007. It's nice get to pick everything from flooring and fixtures to the lay out of the house and see it all come together. It gets stressful at time but the pay off is a the end when everything is done congratulations and good luck.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #15

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sounds like you'd enjoy a trip up. Maybe fit in some fishing!

Radiant thins lab over framing. That is on floor eating correct? We were thinking of putting a heat pump in, and I think that works along with it? Could be confusing ideas though?

The icf forms have insulation on the interior and exterior built in. Part of why we are leaning that way, suppose to e more efficient as far as heating and cooling. Not that we need much cooling up here.
Radiant thin slab over framing is basically 1 1/2" of concrete poured over standard framing with tubes containing hot water ,

You use the same type of tubes in the slab in the basement .

You can get Air to Water heat pumps now specifically designed for hydronic heating systems .

This heating system needs to be figured out early in the planning process as it has to be allowed for at the framing stage .

I was reffering to foam insulation over the exterior of the framing system , or are you considerring ICF's for your exterior walls to the ceiling line ?
Old 04-04-2012, 01:20 PM   #16
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't use masonite siding like that elev. shows....
Old 04-04-2012, 01:21 PM   #17

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xJuice View Post
I wouldn't use masonite siding like that elev. shows....
We use wood where I am
Old 04-04-2012, 01:24 PM   #18
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
We use wood where I am
Most of the houses around here will use Hardie or Certainteed fiber cement siding. Some of the $money$ houses I bet use wood though.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #19

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xJuice View Post
Most of the houses around here will use Hardie or Certainteed fiber cement siding. Some of the $money$ houses I bet use wood though.
Wood is cheap here , and we don't have extreme heat issues like in Texas
Old 04-04-2012, 01:27 PM   #20

Ya I'm planning on icf right tithe ceiling.

Siding will be either hardyboard (or similar) or cedar. I have a friend that mills it. Just have to decide if the extra maintenance is worth it.