Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

gps navigation for my wifes hnda accord......ideas??

Old 12-17-2008, 05:45 PM   #1
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
gps navigation for my wifes hnda accord......ideas??

my wife has recently mentioned that she would like to have gps/nav in her car....and trust me......she kinda needs it. i actually think its a pretty good idea too. i have seen a few different places.....tomtom, garmin and a few off brands too. anyone got ideas for a nav system thats not too expensive, but is still a good buy??
Old 12-17-2008, 05:54 PM   #2
I see you now..................
longbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
longbow's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Garmin Nuvi, don't know the model off the top of my head but less that 3 hundred buck.
Our family has 5 of them, and never had any issues. But for the normal vacation, or getting to a certain place no problems on our end.
My only draw back is the lady who talks to you for turns etc, seems she get pissed every time I make a wrong turn, or what ever.

IDEA....won't be going anywhere for some time, if you are interested I can send it to you and have you try it out. Think about it.......
Old 12-17-2008, 06:04 PM   #3
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbow View Post
I have the Garmin Nuvi, don't know the model off the top of my head but less that 3 hundred buck.
Our family has 5 of them, and never had any issues. But for the normal vacation, or getting to a certain place no problems on our end.
My only draw back is the lady who talks to you for turns etc, seems she get pissed every time I make a wrong turn, or what ever.

IDEA....won't be going anywhere for some time, if you are interested I can send it to you and have you try it out. Think about it.......
hey Bill..............thats a generous offer man. i appreciate it. no need to go to the trouble though man. i was actually thinking about a garmin nuvi, and seeing as how ya'll have 5 of them....sounds good to me.

when i get one, im gonna also need to figure out a way to mount it in the car.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:06 PM   #4
06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Colin
06BLUEDBLSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
I have a magellan maestro 3400 only $250 on sale. plus Will you can mount it on the windshield
Old 12-17-2008, 06:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbow View Post
I use (for now) one of those sand bag thingies, that way I can take it from one car to another.

The offer still stands...
hey man.................if our luck wasnt as goofy as it has been lately...i'd take you up on the offer. we have a habit of misplacing things or something happening to things every once in a while. we do appreciate the offer though bud.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:12 PM   #7
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
i have a garmin nuvi too...it works pretty good and only taken me off course once...and i use it a good bit even if i know where im going...just for the drivetime/avg speed etc
Old 12-18-2008, 06:06 AM   #8
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
My husband bought me a Garmin Nuvi 660. Yeah, cuz I'm directionally challenged! His Acura already has Navigation in it and the Garmin gets moved all around from the tacoma, vette, and the jeep.

The 660 (I think) has bluetooth capability (FM) and has the ability to store & play music. I don't use either of those things.... the bluetooth doesn't work well if you don't have a clear channel to work from. And I have an ipod, so I could care less about the music player.

The GPS itself has been neat and we enjoy it.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:42 AM   #9
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
I had one made by Cobra that was a gift last year for Christmas. It was pretty nice, I liked how it would show national forest's and lakes and stuff like that. Eventually I figured out that I only used it about once every 2 months and I figured out that I like reading a regular map better to get the whole picture. I just gave it to a friend, she couldn't find her way out of a shoe box.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:55 AM   #10
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Garmin. They seem to work the best. We had a Tom Tom, but the signal strength was horrible, so we took it back.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:20 AM   #11
Rich8419 is on a distinguished road
Rich8419's Tacoma Gallery
+1 on the garmin nuvi. I have a 200w that I like.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:28 AM   #12
Braaaaap!
Motoknuckle is a splendid one to beholdMotoknuckle is a splendid one to beholdMotoknuckle is a splendid one to beholdMotoknuckle is a splendid one to beholdMotoknuckle is a splendid one to beholdMotoknuckle is a splendid one to beholdMotoknuckle is a splendid one to behold

Name: Caleb
Motoknuckle's Tacoma Gallery
TomTom are great navi units. Very easy to use as well.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:20 PM   #13
rme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Helicopter pilot still serving
rme's Tacoma Gallery
Nuvi 550

Got a Garmin 555 or 455 and I love it. Recommend what ever car it goes in you get it hardwired. Plus buy a leather case for it so you can store it in the glove box. If you do alot of road driving get an extended warranty on it as well. My first one crapped out on me while I was traveling from Riley Ks to Beaumont Tx. I got on the cell phone while driving and went into a Best Buy in a town just outside of Dallas, got a new one and was on the road in less than an hour....

Has anyone ever tried a Sony. They got some good prices right now!
Old 02-04-2009, 07:35 PM   #14

forgot to post back here..............but we got a garmin nuvi 260w a few weeks back..................pretty awesome. gotta get the map updates for it tho............and like google maps......some of the locales/roads are a bit wrong, but no biggie.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:37 AM   #15
rme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rme's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
forgot to post back here..............but we got a garmin nuvi 260w a few weeks back..................pretty awesome. gotta get the map updates for it tho............and like google maps......some of the locales/roads are a bit wrong, but no biggie.

Tacomaman---DON'T UPDATE IT---IT WILL CRASH THE UNIT. I updated mine and the geeks at Best Buy said that is probably what made it die. If you have an extended warranty go ahead...but I would be very leery about an update. Mine took the updates and lasted about a week before the screen failed....
Old 02-05-2009, 08:22 AM   #16
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
Sam's club (Ack 2 posts in a row I mention Sam's) has the Garmin Nuvi 750 for $199. I have no idea how they're selling the thing for half of the retail price. It's a great unit. I bought one as a christmas present to myself and several friends have also picked one up after I told them about it.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:33 AM   #18
Born in the Backwoods
kris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kris77's Tacoma Gallery
garmin nuvi 255w....Great little gps...

If you have a circuit city close, its 40% off right now cuz they are going out of business...Just picked up a second one for 185$...

Amazon has them for 209$ i think...Its great...plus its widescreen...Get the friction mount for your dash or the suction mount for the windshield...

Just my 2 cents worth...I love mine...
Old 02-05-2009, 01:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rme View Post
Tacomaman---DON'T UPDATE IT---IT WILL CRASH THE UNIT. I updated mine and the geeks at Best Buy said that is probably what made it die. If you have an extended warranty go ahead...but I would be very leery about an update. Mine took the updates and lasted about a week before the screen failed....
damn...................wonder what caused it to crash??
Old 02-05-2009, 03:12 PM   #20

rme's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
damn...................wonder what caused it to crash??
I was told by the Best Buy folks in Dallas (I'm from Savannah) while enroute to get a new one, Garmin supposedly had identified a problem with the chip in the head unit and how it processes the info from the net when updated. They may have worked the bugs out...be very careful. I'm not hot on Sony but I just went to their website and their U74 unit is now half priced and you can get a pouch for it with free shipping for about $169.00. Annnnnd they sell a two year warranty for about $20.

Might think about that one...I love my Garmin and I just checked it's a Nuvi 755. The Sam's Garmin (750) does not have an install kit. (Cigarette lighter adapter with suction cup for the windshield). It's going for about $199.

Once you get started using a gps...you'll be hooked forever. "They are great!"