1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Living without Money! A man has done so for 11yrs.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by luk8272, May 4, 2012.

1. May 6, 2012 at 10:54 AM
    Dhawk1313

Dhawk1313 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    99 SR5
    Clear Corners, Clear Turn Signals, Pioneer Headunit, Kenwood speakers up front, Alpines in back, Billy 5100's front + rear, Toytec AAL, Eibach/Toytec Coilovers, Toytec Diff drop, Smoked taillights
    Interesting

2. May 6, 2012 at 11:32 AM
    rsbmg

rsbmg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Doublecab TRD Offroad
    Front Aluminum bumper by Relentless Fab. Smittybuilt Winch Complete set of skids by ATO TC UCA's Fox Ext. Travel Front Reservoirs.
    I would re-examine my argument. I think you got a little caught up in the debate and went off the deep end here. You say you don't need these things but thats because they are already provided to you.

If those things did not exist, your life would be far different, and far less convenient, far less safe.

Its easy to say I don't need roads, when you have the luxury of using them anyway. It's easy to say I don't need police when you exist in a life that is safe because of them. It's easy to say I don't need a fire dept. when your house is not on fire.

Argue what you like about living a less materialistic lifestyle, thats fine but lets not go overboard with all the things you say you don't need when you in fact do not live a life without them.

3. May 6, 2012 at 11:34 AM
    rsbmg

rsbmg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    Front Aluminum bumper by Relentless Fab. Smittybuilt Winch Complete set of skids by ATO TC UCA's Fox Ext. Travel Front Reservoirs.
    [​IMG]

4. May 6, 2012 at 5:55 PM
    bubbagumps

bubbagumps Well-Known Member

Member:
    I wouldn't call the guy a bum. I really don't know his motivation. As others stated, it seems odd that he has a blog. I suspect he might be doing this as a publicity stunt to write a book and such.

Also, who pays for the working folks without insurance and the ability to afford it or obtain a policy, when they get mowed over by a car or get cancer? Answer--same as the bums. We all pay for it with higher premiums for insurance and higher tax bills.

The fact is, the cost for health care is out of control. We don't need obamacare but we sure as hell need to do something to get it under control. Just having insurance does not ensure safety. My dad has a very good policy. Fell and hit his head and required brain surgery and was in rehab for six months,rearning how to walk, eat, shit, and read. Total cost for the surgery and rehab that was billed to insurance -- $1,324,456.78

Yes, that is one million, not a typo or misplaced comma. His insurance, as with most policies out there, have a max. He is footing a bill for $500,000. Has no way to pay for it, obviously. Most of his hard-earned pension is wiped out. It doesn't matter how much insurance you have. if you have a catastrophic incident, you are screwed. You will be in debt for the rest of your life, then your spouse or estate will inhereit the unpaid bill when you die. You will lose your pension, your retirement, and everything you worked for.

5. May 8, 2012 at 5:39 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 [OP] Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.

I see your point and knew someone would say this but I live in a small town so no, I don't need those things. Not once has our fire department showed up before the home burnt down. I'm not taking anything from these people but this isn't the movies, when the Fire Dept. shows up it is for crowd control, actually just to keep the owners from trying to go back inside for personal belongings. We have 4 police cars, you'll see them ticketing people, which we appreciate, but they are almost all high school kids. Their primary job is to respond to a call and get what facts they can at the time of their arrival. We don't actually have crime, mostly just bar fights and such. As far as for paved roads I really do appreciate them but the ones here aren't much better then tightly packed gravel. And this is TW so my truck is more than capable of driving around without pavement which I do prefer.

But yes I am on the extreme side because so is the argument that he is a bum, he's bumming less than most. I'm of the train of thought that if this guy has to be stopped for the things he is doing then so be it but we have to start with the larger problem first not the least costly. The argument here that he is using public land, library and roads is utterly stupid. So does everyone else. when he had a job the money that was withheld from him could easily pay his share of road and library usage. And land is free some genius decided we have to pay the government for it. Once upon a time this land was stolen from someone then sold off in pieces to private citizens and the gov. The land is for everyone its wrong to charge for it.

6. May 8, 2012 at 5:42 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 [OP] Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.

And this would be better. A person uses the resources they have to survive. He is not over doing things. Ya'll do realize that entire civilizations live without the governments providing for them!

7. May 8, 2012 at 5:50 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 [OP] Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    I agree with you about paying your debts but if he is what is making you angry you should look upon the people that sent you out to keep us free, they are a bigger drag on this nation than anyone else. I appreciate everything you and yours have done for me but I would rather have you home dealing with our issues and not another countries. This guy might cost a couple of hundred dollars a year I doubt it but lets just say that. Still cheaper than the guy that actually uses everything that the government provides. This guy is trying to avoid being that burden, when he needs things he trades for it and lives off of the land, kind of. As opposed to staying in homeless shelters and eating the meals they provide, which in turn makes it easier to be a bum if you are given a place to live and food to eat for nothing in return.

8. May 8, 2012 at 7:02 AM
    rsbmg

rsbmg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:

I again I think your missing the point. Although you live in a small town, that does not mean you live in a vacuum. Your small town is part of a larger county, which is part of a state which is part of this country.

If the law enforcement of this country all quit tomorrow do you believe you will be untouched by crime in your small town? I venture to say, although its sad, our society as a whole behaves in a civilized manner only because of our laws which then of course are enforced. Take that away and life is very different. I appreciate the folks who like to think their 22 rifle and 500 rounds of bullets will someone keep them safe in a lawless society but I assure you it isnt true.

As for your roads, despite their condition, they are still roads. Airlift your truck to the middle of the forest in Montana and then see how far you can drive. If you lived in a cabin in the forest and lived 100% off the land and never left your entire life, then ok you dont need roads. Your Tacoma isnt going to take you anywhere across barren land at least not anywhere you would actually want to go.

Is it possible to exist without those things? Sure but 99% of folks do not and if they did, I doubt they would be here posting on the net. Even our friend who is the subject of this thread, as minimal as he tries to live, still enjoys living in a country where he can exist without really trying very hard. Again drop him off in a remote area 100's of miles from civilization and lets see how long he lasts.

9. May 8, 2012 at 8:10 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 [OP] Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    lol, civilization was created by people without all of the things we have today. To say we can't is ridiculous. I'm saying without all of those things we as a people would be fine. Simply because we were around to create all of these things we have today. The topic has strayed so I'll quit, its now turned into hate the guy that is a moocher because we pay for what he is using. Then Quit paying for things and live like him. If your not willing to try to change it then don't complain about it. And I'll stand by my comment that I don't need all of that stuff, I do know it will change things greatly and it wouldn't be easy but its very simple either you adjust and change or die. I don't feel that everyone should have to pay for everyone else either but since I'm not in a position to change things I simply don't sweat it until I can. The point of this thread was to show that with conviction a person can accomplish great things. But that has obviously gone over a few ppls heads here. This is not directed at anyone in particular.

10. May 8, 2012 at 8:47 AM
    Cr250jumper

Cr250jumper Señor member

Member:
    The moon
    Vehicle:
    50 shades of tan©
    Tacoma with some stuff melted to it
    Great, so you think he accomplished geat things. Dont get mad because other people define accomplishing great things differently

11. May 8, 2012 at 8:59 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 [OP] Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Check your back pocket! Great that you don't think he has accomplished anything. Don't get mad because I think he is doing somthing to change a world that is in need of change, whild others would rather keep on keeping on. :p

12. May 8, 2012 at 9:02 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    This question and statement is humerus at best.

As said previously barter and money are the same things except he is screwing the government and it's people over by not accepting cash and thus not paying taxes for his labor. I wonder what the IRS says about him? I hope to hell this moocher doesn't get socialized medical care in the form of medicare or social security when he is older. He doesn't pay into it so by no means should he collect it's benefits. If he does he would be the reason I may not even get it after paying into it for decades.

Who? I know whats important to me. I contribute to society by working and paying taxes and volunteering my time.

Whats his message.... Live in a cave illegally and mooch off our tax dollars? Trade services for goods so he can escape the "evilness" of money and the need to pay taxes.

Ill ask once again, what happens to this guy when he gets to old to hunt and work for trade?

What happens when he needs medical care?

I guess he sweeps someones sidewalk or cuts someones grass...what a joke. Get real this guy is a attention whore who needs to contribute to society instead of being an anti social, anti capitalist, anti AMERICAN.

13. May 8, 2012 at 9:11 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I don't think he's mad. He's just offering a different opinion. Nothing wrong with that. I agree with you though that the cave dweller is not really accomplishing great things and that the guy is just a bum. But I also agree with luk8272 that it's not really a big deal to get all worked up about. There are bigger problems with waste than this guy is creating.

Is it a desirable life for society as a whole? No. There is a reason we as a society don't live like that any more. It's an extreme that is just as bad as the uber-materialist. I'm sure looking for dinner on the side of the road or out of a garbage can and living in a cave just doesn't sound appealing to 99.99% of the population. Plus if everyone did it, there would be no one creating road kill or garbage to sift through. I believe it's a selfish existence. That is, his life provides little benefit to anyone but himself. For some people, that's all that matters.

14. May 8, 2012 at 9:11 AM
    tacomalex

tacomalex Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    WV
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 2.7l 4x4
    plasti dip engine
    To your question, he'll probably die.

Also judging the motives of anyone is completely wrong and arguments based on assumptions hold no water.

Also how is being anti-capitalist synonymous with being anti-american?

15. May 8, 2012 at 9:21 AM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
  16. May 8, 2012 at 12:29 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    I doubt it, but maybe.

What do judges do all day every day? For that matter what do all people do every day all day? It's in our blood to judge people, assume things, and argue. If everyone moved into caves we would be a third world country. Thank god our for-fathers had balls unlike this guy.

I hope your not serious? The good old US of A has a mixed capitalists economy and that's a FACT (look it up). Now you may choose to think your a socialist or communist, but you aren't. You can twist it however you want, but in the end America represents democracy and capitalism.... Speaking against either is anti-american because it's who we as a nation are.

17. May 8, 2012 at 1:31 PM
    rsbmg

rsbmg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    Yes but that's not the world we live in now. Everyone has grown up in a life WITH all those things. The world is a different place than it was when cavemen and dinosaurs roamed.

I'm not doubting it is possible to live without those things I'm saying in reality its just speculation that you can. To say the cavemen did it that means I can is a bad argument. You can get around without roads for sure, but your not going to do it in your tacoma. And survival is a whole other ball game when you must do it for real.

To many people talk about all the things they can do or would do. I saw a documentary that put that theory to the test that was pretty enlightening, Dropped a group of folks off in the forest with NOTHING and they had to survive. It really didn't work out so well for them.

Anyway I'm not picking on you or this fellow who likes to live without money, to each their own I'm just saying the infrastructure, the laws, the protection, the food supply, the healthcare, the education, its all set for the way we live today. Take it ALL away All of it, your gun, your bow and arrow, your clothes, your shoes, doctors, law enforcement, grocery stores, dumpsters everything, go back to caveman days and tell me how it works out. Its an easy experiment really you get shorts and a t-shirt, then you get airlifted 100's of miles from civilization and we will be back in 90 days to pick you up. Keep a log book (we will give you a pencil and paper).

18. May 8, 2012 at 3:53 PM
    ALawrence

ALawrence Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Oklahoma City
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma Sr5 Double cab 4x4
    yeah... what he said...

19. May 8, 2012 at 5:14 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 [OP] Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    I'm not angry either. And no matter how our opinions are similar or different thank you for serving! Enough thanks can't ever be given.

Its just conversation and I thank you for it. Like most I won't volunteer for such an experiment because lets face it, that shit isn't appealing. I'll only venture to guess that human kind would thrive if forced to live this way. Notice I say human kind because there will be Millions of dead before things get worked out. Like I said is all conversation, I don't have anything invested in this either negative or otherwise. I just notice the article on Yahoo and thought it was worth sharing. In all honesty though I never thought about the possible negative he may be causing, now that it has been mentioned I still think its an impressive task to take on and don't fault him for using anything public because lets face it the gov. takes the money from us to do with as they choose I would rather it be for something we can all use than what it is most likely used for.

20. May 8, 2012 at 6:12 PM
    rsbmg

rsbmg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    I think he would be much more stimulating if he were to take his life choice to the extreme and live with nothing in an environment that wouldn't support him. I'm not impressed by a dumpster diver who has friends to lend a hand, however if he could take down an elk with a spear he fashioned himself with no man made tools, I would give him his due credit.

Products Discussed in

To Top