1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cheap Tools...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by jeverich, May 15, 2012.

1. May 15, 2012 at 7:10 PM
    jeverich

jeverich [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    PNW/Kodiak
    Vehicle:
    07 2.7 4x4
    OME 886/Old Man Doug Suspension Lift, ARB Bumper, Bruteforce High Clearance w/Swing Out, De-badge, Block Heater, Homemade IFS Skid, 7" Kragens, Blue Seas Fuse Block, BlitzPro Fogs, 12k BadLands Winch, BAMF Sliders, ARB Locker, 4.88s Yaesu FT-1900R, Larsen 150B NMO Mount Antenna
    Arghhhh!

Went to bend a length of pipe this morning. Yes I said pipe. Building a set of sliders...

And...the Central Pneumatics (Poomatics) hydraulic bender blew apart on me. Welds blew apart completely - lack of penetration. Ha. Penetration, get it?

Was lucky, it was not an exciting mechanical failure...more of an "oh wow, the welds just cracked"...was lucky in that regard.

Anyways, bender belongs to the owner of the boat - he's on vacation and I'm working in his shop. Ordered a new bender off Amazon, should be here Thursday. Which is awesome, because they gave me expedited shipping for free. Figured it was the right thing to do - I'd expect the same if someone broke one of my tools.

Might take the broken one and try to repair it...that's the problem with shitty Chinese tools - its more cost effective to just be new when it breaks. Being that a bender sees such occasional use, it's justifiable to go with harbor freight.

Oh well, spent the rest of the day gabbing up an IFS skid - will post some pics when it's done.

End rant.

2. May 15, 2012 at 7:14 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    This time is no "wow factor" next time you have 12 tons on a press when the welds blow apart..no thanks, i wont use cheap tools..even my screwdrivers are at least craftsman..

3. May 15, 2012 at 7:15 PM
    krap22

krap22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Harbor freight is very hit and miss. THey have some good knock off tools and others are pure shit. Have to do your research. I have an angle grinder, sawsall, wood lathe and HVLP spray gun from there. The grinder and sawsall were so cheap and i don't use them much. They have more than paid for them selves. The other 2 i researched a lot and found they were a gem in the rough.

4. May 15, 2012 at 7:37 PM
    jeverich

jeverich [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    PNW/Kodiak
    Vehicle:
    07 2.7 4x4
    OME 886/Old Man Doug Suspension Lift, ARB Bumper, Bruteforce High Clearance w/Swing Out, De-badge, Block Heater, Homemade IFS Skid, 7" Kragens, Blue Seas Fuse Block, BlitzPro Fogs, 12k BadLands Winch, BAMF Sliders, ARB Locker, 4.88s Yaesu FT-1900R, Larsen 150B NMO Mount Antenna
    Like I said...given the forces involved this could have had a much different outcome.

I agree that certain tools are not worth the risk of going with Chi-crap.

Rest of the shop is chock full o' Snap On, Milwaukee and DeWalt.

Oh, get to play with a Miller XMT with suitcase MIG, Miller 250 and a Thermal Dynamics Plasma...!

Products Discussed in

To Top