Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

how to air condition my shop

Old 05-19-2012, 08:35 PM   #1
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
how to air condition my shop

Hello, it was recently brought to my attention that some plans of mine may viloate building code and I wanted to get some more clarification.

I have a 3 garages, a two car non-insulated garage, and a one car insulated one. I am turning the one car garage into a shop/man cave.

I would like the shop to be climate controlled. I was planning on running a duct t'ed off of my living space to the shop. A couple of folks on here mentioned that that may be against code because CO would now have a direct route into the living space.

However I know that garages are converted into rooms all of the time. So my question is: who decides if it's a room or not?

The shop will never have a car in it while I'm living here. As I noted, I have two other garages. It has hand tools, an air compressor, tv, fridge, etc. no vehicles, no harsh chemicals. So while I'm living here, for all intents are purposes, it is a room, not a garage.

When I move out, could I just disconnect the duct work, and put a plate over the hole in the ceiling of the shop, so that it meets code if the next owner wishes to use it as a garage? That way it would not be endangering them should they store a vehicle in it.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

EDIT:

So in summary of all the posts, I cannot hook it up to the central AC of my home without jumping through alot of hoops it seems.

So now the question of this thread becomes: i want to cool the shop. I want to do it as inexpensively, and with modifying or cutting/drilling as little as possible, and without violating any code. What method should I use?

The alternatives proposed have been:

1. window units - I do not have a window, and I am not willing to cut a large hole in an exterior wall.

2. portable AC unit - I've heard they perform questionably, but I'd like to hear input from someone who has one. Also wondering if I can run the exhaust into the attic rather than cutting a hole in the wall or door.
similar to this one:http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0COEBEPMCMAE

3. ductless AC units - the most intriguing so far. Wondering if I can do this myself or if it would need professional installation.

any others?
Old 05-19-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
IIRC, If its connected to the main HVAC of the house, its considered a "Living Area", and must be permitted before being built. The up side, is that the square feet are added to the house and can increase proppertiy value.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:38 PM   #3
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
IIRC, If its connected to the main HVAC of the house, its considered a "Living Area", and must be permitted before being built. The up side, is that the square feet are added to the house and can increase proppertiy value.
Well it's obviously already built....the square footage increase is also a pro I was going for.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Also if anyone has any suggestions on alternative methods of cooling, I'm all ears.

The problem is that I don't have a window to run any sort of drain for a portable unit out.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:41 PM   #5
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Also if anyone has any suggestions on alternative methods of cooling, I'm all ears.

The problem is that I don't have a window to run any sort of drain for a portable unit out.
Can you install a roof mount unit?
Old 05-19-2012, 08:41 PM   #6
Deercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Deercantseeme's Tacoma Gallery
Talk to local code enforcement without being specific as to who you are or where you live. Every state is different. That would be what I would do in your situation.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #7
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Can you install a roof mount unit?
I dont know anything about them. How do they work?

I take it that would cost more than the $200 I had budgeted for the duct work project?

I do have a large attic above the shop, is there some way I could mount something up there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deercantseeme View Post
Talk to local code enforcement without being specific as to who you are or where you live. Every state is different. That would be what I would do in your situation.
True true.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:45 PM   #8
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Ya Keith, like I and someone else said, probably not a bad idea to call local code enforcement, or even insurance co to see what they say. But there are cooling options, I know they make a/c units for just your type of situation. I don't know what they are called, but I have seen them. Like a mini system of sorts.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:52 PM   #9
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEVON911 View Post
Ya Keith, like I and someone else said, probably not a bad idea to call local code enforcement, or even insurance co to see what they say. But there are cooling options, I know they make a/c units for just your type of situation. I don't know what they are called, but I have seen them. Like a mini system of sorts.
Thanks Dave.

Sounds expensive
Old 05-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #10
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Thanks Dave.

Sounds expensive
Ya I don't think cheap. My parents checked into it last year cause they have hot water heat. So instead my dad took out a window and permanently installed a window a/c. Which if you want to put a hole in a wall, that could be an option.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:58 PM   #11
rwhite188 is just really nicerwhite188 is just really nicerwhite188 is just really nicerwhite188 is just really nice

Name: Ray
rwhite188's Tacoma Gallery
You may try one of these. My boss put one of these in my optical lab and it does pretty well keeping it cool. There is one unit that is mounted outside on the ground and another unit that is mounted in the wall. they only had to drill to holes in the wall for the lines to be ran. I am not sure how much they are but it may be worth a look

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WdGTI77Z2w

http://www.mitsubishicomfort.com/en/...oduct-showcase
Old 05-19-2012, 09:02 PM   #12
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEVON911 View Post
Ya I don't think cheap. My parents checked into it last year cause they have hot water heat. So instead my dad took out a window and permanently installed a window a/c. Which if you want to put a hole in a wall, that could be an option.
My HOA will not allow window units.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhite188 View Post
You may try one of these. My boss put one of these in my optical lab and it does pretty well keeping it cool. There is one unit that is mounted outside on the ground and another unit that is mounted in the wall. they only had to drill to holes in the wall for the lines to be ran. I am not sure how much they are but it may be worth a look

Hmm, that's interesting, thanks for the link. The house is brick so I'm not real keen on drilling into the outside myself. But a quick google search shows that the systems aren't that expensive.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhite188 View Post

Ya, that's it! That's what I was thinking of.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:09 PM   #14
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd just out of interest.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #15

Un subbed....Im pretty much too drunk to add anything of importance right now.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:13 PM   #16
berg2065 is on a distinguished road
berg2065's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe contact a local HVAC contractor in your area that does free estimates and have them come out and see how they would go about heating/cooling the area. You could have a couple of different companies out to get a feel of the direction that you need to go to get the results and still comply with local codes.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:16 PM   #17
rwhite188 is just really nicerwhite188 is just really nicerwhite188 is just really nicerwhite188 is just really nice

Name: Ray
rwhite188's Tacoma Gallery
Your welcome... Just be sure to check your HOA.. Some HOA's seem to think these are window units too. I love not having a HOA now.. I live on a small circle and there are only 4 houses on it and all of us owners seem to think alike and do not want our yards to look trashy. anytime anyone wants to do something new we just have a little get together and discuss it.. It works out great..
Old 05-19-2012, 09:33 PM   #18
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Stupid question: why couldn't I put the "outside" part of the unit thats in the video up in the attic, and run a drain hose through one of the many attic vets I have under the eaves of the roof?
Old 05-19-2012, 09:39 PM   #19
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Window unit possible?
Old 05-19-2012, 09:52 PM   #20
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjew18 View Post
Window unit possible?
1. No window
2. HOA won't allow it