1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Accidents: what have you seen or been in?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by undecided, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Jun 11, 2012 at 2:12 PM
    mynewtoy

mynewtoy I like men

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    09 double cab 4x4
    Detriot locker rear ARB air locker front 4.56 gears OME 3" lift, SPC uca's , moto metal 951 wheels 315/75/r16 Treadwright guard dogs, homemade front plate bumper with smittybilt 9.5k winch, homemade skids, homemade Bed bars, Mobtown offroad high clearance rear bumper with tire carrier, Homemade rock sliders , U-bolt flip, Wheeler's super bumps, BORA 1" wheel spacers , Black headlight mod , black tail lights, Satoshi Grill , autoPage C3 RS-665 alarm with remote start, flowmaster 40 series exhaust, cruise control,bed/ground effect lights, wet okole seat covers, tinted,windows, weather tech floor mats, AVS vent shades, debadged, hidden cobra 19 cb, 7" offroad lights behind grill, rear diff breather relocate, abs kill switch
    the worst i seen was caused by an accident on the other side of the interstate. some rubbernecker had almost stopped to look at a fender bender. an 18wheeler behind him stopped .some type of car stopped. but an 18wheeler carrying some type fuel didn't stop crushing the car in between 2 big rigs. the car and truck carrying fuel caught fire shutting down the interstate for 12 hours. 3 people lost there life because some idiot wanted to look at a fender bender

2. Jun 11, 2012 at 4:43 PM
    undecided

undecided [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport 4X4
    CAI, CB radio, Double Din Stereo, Aero Exhaust, Softopper, BHLM, KODE Push Button Start, Bruteforce Fab Rear bumper, Weathertechs
    First off Aw9d and budd4766 I am glad to hear you guys are ok. I know there are a lot of careless drivers out there. You gotta watch out!

Aw9d: I have had issues with a VERY big name tire shop that had was very close to ruining my 10 day trip to Mexico. They never torqued my lugs down on the truck and I limped into a shop on 2 lugs. The other 3 ripped off. On top of that I was stranded in the middle of the desert in Mexico. They FORGOT to put the spare tire back on my truck. Needless to say I was pretty pissed.

budd4766: You seem to have had your share of crappy accidents. I hope you have a new taco in the works. You are still alive and that truck took one hell of a beating. Take it from me, riding in a helo and looking out the window is cool.:D Recovery from all major injuries are long and seem never ending. All jokes aside, I am glad you and your wife are ok. Stay safe.

3. Jun 11, 2012 at 4:50 PM
    Leggo

Leggo slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    When I was in high school, a friend was driving and we were drunk. We went down a hill at 70 mph and lost it in a turn and ended up going thru a telephone pole(snapped like a matchstick).The trans in the 77 olds cutlass ended up coming thru the floor and stopped in the back seat. We all walked away unhurt.

4. Jun 11, 2012 at 5:01 PM
    nieb15

nieb15 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Auburn, CA
    I was the passenger in a Dodge Charger that rolled, we all walked away.

Only crash I've been in as driver was when my brakes failed going 55mph (91 Pickup). Two lanes coming up to a stoplight, went to step on the brakes and they hit the floor, I couldn't get over (another car to my right). I was able to downshift just enough and threw on my parking brake and got it down to maybe 25 before colliding with a Chevy pickup. I was able to pull to the left on top of a divider just before hitting him so it crumbled my bumper and passenger front fender. No frame damage and the doors were okay, hood was a bit bent but straightened out just fine.
    Cause of the failure ended up being the master cylinder was bypassing brake fluid (never heard of that problem before).

5. Jun 12, 2012 at 4:29 AM
    budd4766

budd4766 Well-Known Member

Member:
    LaGrange, GA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tacoma
    Yeah, thank the good Lord above, everything worked out ok. After my bike crash, it turned out the surgeon who worked on my leg was the guy who handles all the sports medicine for USC in Columbia, so he's seen some bad breaks before and I kept my leg. Been blessed that nobody got hurt in any of the other accidents as well.

After the insurance paid out for the taco, I went back to the dealer and got another one exactly like that one. I was really surprised, and well pleased with how the truck handled that accident. All that damage, and all I got was a nick on my forearm where the side airbag blew. Needless to say, I feel really safe driving my Tacoma now!

6. Jun 12, 2012 at 5:56 AM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    I'm rather happy to say I've never been in an accident. That's after over 40-years of quite extensive driving (large trucks, small trucks, cars, motorcycles, military armored track vehicles, etc) in perhaps a dozen different countries (three of those lived in for some period). I credit highly developed defensive driving skills for that (certainly wasn't "safe driving" since I speed often).

That's not to say all has been perfect. I've fallen over on motorcycles occasionally (on sand, when a passenger got on without warning, etc), my vehicles have been dinged up plenty of times in parking lots, and I've added a little character (dents, scratches, etc) here and there while off-roading.

-

7. Jun 12, 2012 at 6:51 AM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    first what ive been in

Lady was in the center lane, I was in the right hand lane, she tried to turn into a business on the right from the center lane and didnt see me coming...when she stepped outta the car she said didnt you see me turning, I said didnt you see me coming?

she told the cop i swerved into the left lane and rear ended her car with the passanger side of my vehicle...the officer the skid marks and damage dont match her story but wrote me at fault for failure to reduce speed to avoid a collision and didnt write her anything at all...totalled up to my insurance paying out 20k
    423719_10150663103710827_813585826_9290732_224263192_n.jpg
    418023_10150664234240827_813585826_9294253_503457023_n.jpg
    431736_10150658670120827_813585826_9278056_1591820300_n.jpg

had a head on collision in the taco when a15 year old driver slid on ice and hit the accelerator then whipped around in my lane and caught traction...thats why i have a SAS and she has a reckless driving ticket

8. Jun 12, 2012 at 7:19 AM
    raskal311

raskal311 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S. Cal
    5100 set to max, pending LSD and TRD CAI
    Saw a tractor trailer filled with about 50 people catch fire burning everyone alive. The image of a women burnt to crisps while hanging out of the trailor is something i can never forget.

9. Jun 12, 2012 at 7:20 AM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    My truck has been rear ended 4 times... Including once hard enough to bury my hitch in a girl's bumper and get us stuck together. Still no damage to mine other than scratches in my plasti-derped rear bumper that I touched up.

Had a close call a few years ago while we were driving through a snow storm up to Minneapolis. A truck pulling a small enclosed trailer tried passing us to the left and I'm assuming broke the ass end lose, causing the trailer to whip around. It pulled him around the front of us and we were face to face for a second before he kept on sliding into the ditch in an explosion of snow. We counted I think 108 cars in the ditch that night.

I also was riding with a friend a few months ago who always drives like a jackass, He's very skilled but sometimes pushes it a little far. We turned onto a 2 lane highway and he decided to break it loose for a sweet smokin drift yo but overshot it and went down the ditch sideways. We were backwards in the bottom of the ditch when the driver side finally dug in and we started going over very slowly. We were tipping into the uphill side of the ditch and up on 2 wheels when my friend reached out the window and pushed against the hill and we tipped back onto all 4 (that close to going over). It was incredibly stupid to reach out but hey I guess it saved his truck.

10. Jun 12, 2012 at 7:28 AM
    fadippides

fadippides Well-Known Member

Member:
    NEPA
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Off Road
    This (and the accidents I was in/witnessed) is why I now have a dashcam.

Accident #1 - I was traveling on the highway and I see a crownvic coming the opposite direction cross the grassy median and look like they are going to do a quick U turn. They were on the gas as evidenced by the grass flying from their back wheels and I think, dang that cop is gutsy doing the maneuver at that speed. I am on the brakes some to give them space. Next thing I know, they hit a car t-bone and then head towards me. I thought I was going to hit them and missed by no more than an inch, an old lady from FL fell asleep at the wheel.

Accident #2 - I was at a stop light, some idiot in a F-250 decided they were going to pass on the shoulder at green and clipped my front end, had to chase them down.

11. Jun 12, 2012 at 7:31 AM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    what camera do you have if you dont mind me asking. I had a hit n run get away cause the cops told me to quit pursuit...coincidentally we both had state farm but even though their vehicle had damage to the front clip "it didnt look like it had been with my vehicle"

12. Jun 12, 2012 at 7:37 AM
    fadippides

fadippides Well-Known Member

Member:
    NEPA
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Off Road
    DODtec GS600

13. Jun 12, 2012 at 7:44 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Never under-estimate what road rage can do.....

Back in 2003....I had just gotten on the highway, traveled about 1/2 mile and stopped in traffic. Sitting there in traffic and I look in my rear view mirror and I can see an accident happening behind me (about 5 cars away).

And then...I woke up to the voices of "Where are you?" EMT's were trying to get me out of the Jeep.

Somehow - a car 'flew' thru the air and came crashing down on the back corner of my Jeep. The tire carrier (rear bumper assembly) bent inward and my seat broke (flying backwards). Basically....tire carrier and my head collided. I had a concussion and skull fracture. I have a couple small plates in my head.

Apparently, the traffic got backed up because some idiots stopped in the middle of the highway. Traffic backed up ...and people didn't notice the backups which caused a chain reaction and a multiple car accident.

Anytime I see brake lights on the highway in front of me and there's an obvious back-up.....I put my 4 way flashers on to warn people behind me to PAY attention!!!

Jeep was totalled. We bought it back from the insurance company. We stripped off most of the offroading goodies (Dana 44 axles with 4.56 & ARB's, etc) off and parted out the rest, right down to the frame. Bought another Jeep and swapped everything over to the newest one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That could've been my 96 tacoma that I normally drove to work back then....

14. Jun 12, 2012 at 7:45 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    off road bumper!! may also help with the mad cows.

15. Jun 12, 2012 at 7:55 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    i have no been in any! not even a finder bender. pretty good if you ask me. 20 and been driving 5 years, since mom made me wait till 16 for my permit. i wanted it at 15.

also no tickets of any kind. one and only time i got pulled over was 17 and did not even have my license for 2 months. was in the scion XB. i have a frosty and i turned my head lights back to just parking, when i was putting blinker on.

16. Jun 12, 2012 at 8:13 AM
    Geode

Geode Well-Known Member

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    09 4WD TRD
  17. Jun 12, 2012 at 8:20 AM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    When I was dumb and in my teens I nailed a deer doing 90 on a dark back road with my Grand Am GT.

Also saw a Grand Am hit a ditch and roll several times about a 1/4 mile ahead on the opposite side if the highway. Also last summer was a car length behind an F150 on a back road doing about 50 and the guy went off the road into the woods and hit a tree head on. That was the scariest thing I've seen happen to date.

18. Jun 12, 2012 at 8:41 AM
    futuretacoowner

futuretacoowner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    02 2.7L xtra cab
    One that I stopped to assist at...

I was driving home from doing a 12 hour day to finish my 23 or so day stretch, actually turned around and went back to work because the weather was so bad. Once the weather got a little bit better I decided to venture out. FD was tending to 3 houses that caught fire due to lightening, and various trees blocking the road. I come upon this overturned UTV that is at the bottom of a 12' ditch. there where a few passer bys that stopped but most, including nurses, were just watching what was happening. I go down into the ditch to help give first aid. the person smelled heavily of booze and had a bottle laying right next to him. took another 5 minutes or so for a very small FD crew showed up and shortlyafter medics showed up. ended up having to stay and help due to the FD being short staffed. Apperently the guy is fine and bought himself another UTV.

19. Jun 12, 2012 at 9:05 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Far too many to recount. I'll post later when I find the energy.

20. Jun 12, 2012 at 9:10 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    damn. i hate flipping those things! me and a friend in jan of ’10 flipped his mule at 10MPH in snow. was stupid no helmet or stupid lap belt. i hit my head on the roll bar and busted it open. his dad a doctor cave me 6 stitches. idk how the hell we flipped going so slow. we just turned like normal and it started sliding. i guess it hit a rock or something... where we ride in the mountains you don’t have to wear them but i do. because some of the trails are not much wider than the rhino. and on one side may have a 20 to even 50+ foot drop. hate to go dow that at all, but even more so with no helmet on.

Products Discussed in

To Top