LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

for contractors and other people who know about this stuff

Old 06-15-2012, 12:35 PM   #1
2011Streaker will become famous soon enough2011Streaker will become famous soon enough
Law Enforcement:
2011Streaker's Tacoma Gallery
for contractors and other people who know about this stuff

I received a porch swing as a gift as seen here:

http://pawleysislandhammocks.com/detail.php?id=S-105

The mounting hardware that came with it is a backet with a screw on each end and a dip in the middle for an S hook. Our farmer's porch has vinyl soffet on the roof so utilizing this bracket isnt an option without making ugly cuts into the soffet. Instead i got an eye hook rated at 330 pounds and predrilled a hole into one of the rafters (not sure if that is the correct name for the big beams in the roof of the porch, anyway..) and it is solid. However when we sit in the hammock the eye hook moves ever so slightly back and forth. i am concerned overtime that it will wiggle itself loose and someone could fall.

Is this a legitimate fear? Are there other options? I have the thing tightened in really good and the motion is relatively minor but I am still worried. I also was considering putting some kinda ring on the eye hook to allow more slipping during swinging so less stress was placed on the eye hook itself.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I will upload a pic once I can.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:40 PM   #2
2011Streaker will become famous soon enough2011Streaker will become famous soon enough
Law Enforcement:
Here is a pic of my setup. The carabiner is there because the S hook that came with the kit is too small for the rugged eye hook I got.

Hope this helps an expert in the field help me out.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
for contractors and other people who know about this stuff-photo.jpg  
Old 06-15-2012, 12:45 PM   #3
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, I think it's a legitimate fear. You should use one of these (longer if need be) with some washers. You'll probably have to pull a few pieces of soffet to get to it though.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:46 PM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
If the eye bolt is moving, either it's not set properly (you may have pre-drilled too large of a hole), or it's moving the entire rafter. Either way, you need to fix it in my opinion. If you screwed that in my hand and didn't need either a bar in the middle of the eye bolt or a wrench for leverage to screw the bolt all the way in, then the pilot hole was probably too large.

If the rafter is moving, you might be able to stop this by bracing the load bearing rafter against adjacent rafters or bolt a 2x4 pependicular to the rafter for added rigidity side to side since the rafter was originally intended to hold a vertical load, not a swinging load.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:51 PM   #5
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Is this a flat or sloped soffit ?
Old 06-15-2012, 12:54 PM   #6
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like it is probably ok. The movement is from the substantial weight shifting from side to side in the hook, so adding another ring wouldn't change anything.

Double check the eyehook is screwed into the center of the rafter, then I would bury the screw shank all the way in until the eye is pressing against the wood.

Then if there is still movement, it is probably actually the rafter flexing a tad with the weight. If the rafters happen to be made of only 2 x 4s, that might be a little on the shaky side for a swing.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:54 PM   #7
Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Yes, I think it's a legitimate fear. You should use one of these (longer if need be) with some washers. You'll probably have to pull a few pieces of soffet to get to it though.
I don't think the rafter itself is moving, it's just a little wiggle with the eyebolt itself. I have the tool to pull the soffet off but it wasn't cooperating and this is my first time using one so I really am clueless on it.

I will explore that option. The swing holds weight just fine, is it still possible the hole was predrilled too large?
Old 06-15-2012, 12:55 PM   #8
Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Is this a flat or sloped soffit ?
Roof is flat underneath
Old 06-15-2012, 01:04 PM   #9
Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
If the eye bolt is moving, either it's not set properly (you may have pre-drilled too large of a hole), or it's moving the entire rafter. Either way, you need to fix it in my opinion. If you screwed that in my hand and didn't need either a bar in the middle of the eye bolt or a wrench for leverage to screw the bolt all the way in, then the pilot hole was probably too large.

If the rafter is moving, you might be able to stop this by bracing the load bearing rafter against adjacent rafters or bolt a 2x4 pependicular to the rafter for added rigidity side to side since the rafter was originally intended to hold a vertical load, not a swinging load.
I used a screwdriver, there was no putting it in by hand.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:07 PM   #10
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011Streaker View Post
I used a screwdriver, there was no putting it in by hand.
Then pull the soffit material off, and swing and I'll bet you'll see the rafter flexing since it was meant to take the weight on the roof, not a hanging, swinging weight. If you shore up the rafter that the swing is hanging from, you won't have any problems.

To do this, I'd either brace it against the rafter on either side for additional support using 2x4 or 2x6 blocking or beef up the original rafter by using either a 2x4 on edge for lateral support or kickers so it can't flex as much.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:14 PM   #11
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Roof is flat underneath
So it's not a rafter , it's a ceiling joist or bottom chord of a truss

Drilling through the bottom chord of a truss is not awesome

Having said that , I agree with Pugga , the joist or bottom chord is probably rotating and could stand to be braced .
Old 06-15-2012, 01:14 PM   #12
Law Enforcement:
Cool. Argh. I didn't want to pull that damn soffit off but I guess I have no choice to really see whats going on. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Then pull the soffit material off, and swing and I'll bet you'll see the rafter flexing since it was meant to take the weight on the roof, not a hanging, swinging weight. If you shore up the rafter that the swing is hanging from, you won't have any problems.

To do this, I'd either brace it against the rafter on either side for additional support using 2x4 or 2x6 blocking or beef up the original rafter by using either a 2x4 on edge for lateral support or kickers so it can't flex as much.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:16 PM   #13

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Cool. Argh. I didn't want to pull that damn soffit off but I guess I have no choice to really see whats going on. Thanks!
You may have access to this area via an attic access somewhere in your house , try that before ganking the soffit
Old 06-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #14
Cypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 2A773 Retired
Cypherian's Tacoma Gallery
Any anchor point moving when screwed into a piece of wood is bad, it will eventually open the hole up. If you are sure you didnt drill the hole to large then as stated your rafter may not be up to the task. Which way is the swing, swinging IE with the run of the rafter or against it? As against it will cause the rafter to flex even with it could cause flex depending on length of run. Check both ends of the rafter depending on age etc it could be rotted off or not secured very well people have been known to miss with nail guns :}. If the rafter is secured on both ends and structurally sound. Then, as suggested your going to have to brace it side to side and maybe consider sistering in a rafter on either side of it IE install a 2x4 or 2x6 which ever it is along side of the rafter with the eye in it making a sandwich. You must attach the sistered rafters to ledger the porch roof header and to the rafter the eye is in. I prefer screws all the way around but if you have to use nails ensure you drive them in at an angle on the ledger,header and original rafter. Just my thoughts not a contractor but have build a whole lot of things and nothing I have built ever fell down or broke :}

Cypher
Old 06-15-2012, 01:29 PM   #15

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
^^ Glued and screwed, I wouldn't even bother with nails if you're trying to sister up the bottom joist.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:34 PM   #16

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Sistering the joist will only help with deflection , not rotation

Run some strapping across the top of the joists / bottom chord to stop the rotation
Old 07-12-2012, 09:09 AM   #17
Law Enforcement:
update:

thanks for all your feedback. I got the soffit off and indeed it was 2x4's.

I used 2x4 blocks to brace it (2 on each side of the joist thats holding the swing) so its sturdy now. With 4 additional braces the thing does NOT move. No squeaking while swinging either.

Thanks for the great feedback.