1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Grills

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by TacoDawgfan, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Jun 15, 2012 at 5:08 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan [OP] Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    Not the kind on your truck. :p I'm talking gas grills. What is a good low priced grill that will last more than a couple of years? Don't get me wrong, I love charcoal grilling but it's just not convenient a lot of the time.

I bought a gas grill a couple years back on clearance, (end of the season) so I thought I got a great deal. That pos is literally falling apart after 2 summers and one falls use. One burner is shot, the metal where the burners sit is basically gone from rust. I could go on. I do keep it covered btw. Been out looking for a new one and am very frustrated. Everyone tells me anything in the $100-$200 range will do the same. :mad: I know my father had bought one years ago that wasn't anything special, like a $150 Wally World (Char Broil) unit and that thing lasted I know a good 10 years. Do they just not make them like that anymore w/o spending $500+ on one? I don't have that kind of dough to spend and if I did I'd rather lift my truck btw. Anyway what to look for in a "cheap" grill? I'd love to buy a Weber but that's just too much right now.

I'm thinking stainless burners is a priority, then a well made frame and lid. I don't care about it looking cool and it doesn't have to be huge. Next I'm trying to figure out if porcelain or cast iron grids are better? I'm leaning towards cast iron but most have the porcelain and make out as if it's the best. :notsure: I guess this is really more of a rant than anything, but any input will be appreciated.

2. Jun 15, 2012 at 5:16 PM
    detnight

detnight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Texas City ,Texas
    Vehicle:
    Texas Edtion Sport Super White
    Bed cover, Borla exhaust,20in wheels The TEXAS edition
    oh well I thought you talking about teeth

3. Jun 15, 2012 at 5:30 PM
    TacoDawgfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    Yeah, looked at that one and another $200 one at HD today. The salesman basically said the same as everyone else, unless I spend $500+ then they are all about the same. :notsure: This video makes me feel a little better about that one but not sure about the durability. I just hate the idea that in 2-3 years I'm in the same boat again. :rolleyes: But Maybe I just need to grin and bare it? I'm just used to things being built to last. Maybe Toyota should make grills. :D

4. Jun 15, 2012 at 5:42 PM
    jgwheeler17

jgwheeler17 I'm a zit. Get it?

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab TRD Off-Road 4x4
    neglect, mostly.
    only read the first line of your post, but being from NC, i have to promote Holland Grills. bout everybody in my parts has one and they last forever. the heat distribution is perfect.

http://www.hollandgrill.com/

5. Jun 16, 2012 at 8:05 AM
    TacoDawgfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Sounds great but looks like the price range is up there with the Weber's that I would love to buy also.

6. Jun 16, 2012 at 8:08 AM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    My opinion, unless you are ready to spend a little more coin on a Weber or similar, just get the cheapest one you can find that has enough grill space for what you need. I replaced the guts on my old Charbroil/Kenmore every 2 years, never bothered to fix the electric start that broke the first year.

7. Jun 16, 2012 at 8:16 AM
    TacoDawgfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, that is what I'm starting to think. May go looking again today, just depends on our fathers day plans.

8. Jun 18, 2012 at 7:45 PM
    Hardscrabble

Hardscrabble Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    McDonough, GA
    Vehicle:
    ‘20 Sport M/T AC 4WD & '15 TRDOR DCSB 4WD
    A little of this and a little of that.
    Hey Mike,
    I was in the same spot you're in when I first moved to GA. It seemed like I was always repairing or replacing parts or the entire grill every couple of years. The trouble was where I was storing the grill, on my back deck. Even covered, the grill was out in the sun and accessible to bugs and all the elements. I cleared out a spot in the front corner of my garage and that's where I've had the same grill for the past 14 years. Yeah, you've got to let it cool before covering it and putting it back in the garage, but that hasn't been a problem. Good luck.

Products Discussed in

To Top