Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Traveling the USA!

Old 06-17-2012, 10:11 AM   #1
ouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Air Force: Mobile Support Equipment Operator
Name: Ryan
ouyin2000's Tacoma Gallery
Traveling the USA!

So I'm taking the taco on a 10 day road trip next month from Edmonton, Ab to Halifax, NS. Most of the route will be through the USA, and I'm hoping to get ideas on what to do and places to see.

The drive will mostly be along I-94 then back into Ontario to see Niagara Falls, then along the I-90 into Massachusetts, then I-95 into New Brunswick.

Hoping to see the Mall of 'Merica, just to say I've been there. Mostly I would like to see some golf courses along the way. Nothing too difficult, since I won't have all day to try and get my ball out of the rough.

Also looking for hotel suggestions. Hoping for 1 chain, to be able to get some free nights for staying with them so long.

Oh and I will have a TW.com sticker on the back of my canopy
Old 06-17-2012, 02:39 PM   #2
Doc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doc
Doc35's Tacoma Gallery
The real Merica is below the Mason-Dixon line, enjoy as much as you can.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:17 PM   #4
ouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Maybe you can rent a gun while you are there
I thought about visiting a shooting range just to be able to fire some "exotic" weapons.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:24 PM   #5
"Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7
rleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Master Sergeant, Training Superintendent, 67th Network Warfare Wing
Name: Bob
rleeharris's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Maybe you can rent a gun while you are there
Now, that's funny OZ. "Rent a gun..." LOL!
Old 06-19-2012, 07:37 PM   #6
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
1) not sure why you'd go in/out us/canada midway, ...seems more of a hassle..., why not just stay in the us and continue on 80 through northern OH, then move up the erie coast toward buffalo (probably be about the same distance...)?

2) not sure there is much to see in ND, ...there may be some nearby indian reservations that might be interesting, ...but from what i remember travelling on 94 through ND, there's pretty much nothing, at least not off the highway other than theodore roosevelt nat'l park (in western part)...

3) MN and WI - like ND, very rural, ..but they are scenic drives, rolling countryside that should be quite lush/green this time of year.... WI dells is a popular tourist area, so that may be worthwhile, it's near the hwy... WI is know for dairy/cheese, ...maybe you could get some souveneirs or food

4) Chicago... well unfortunately it's hard to go around it from the way you're coming from, ... i don't have anything nice to say about chicago...

5) northern IN, ..there are some large sand dunes along lake MI, ...IN dunes nat'l seashore or some such thing... that should be easy to get to from 94...

6) MI, ..i've never been to MI, but i'd imagine there are some neat small towns through there....

7) if you decide to go through northern OH, ..camp perry and cedar point (amusement park) are along the way...

8) western PA and NY (erie shore), ...these are snowbelt areas, i'd imagine some neat small towns and places to stop...
Old 06-20-2012, 04:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyC View Post
1) not sure why you'd go in/out us/canada midway, ...seems more of a hassle..., why not just stay in the us and continue on 80 through northern OH, then move up the erie coast toward buffalo (probably be about the same distance...)?

- I have family in London

2) not sure there is much to see in ND, ...there may be some nearby indian reservations that might be interesting, ...but from what i remember travelling on 94 through ND, there's pretty much nothing, at least not off the highway other than theodore roosevelt nat'l park (in western part)...

3) MN and WI - like ND, very rural, ..but they are scenic drives, rolling countryside that should be quite lush/green this time of year.... WI dells is a popular tourist area, so that may be worthwhile, it's near the hwy... WI is know for dairy/cheese, ...maybe you could get some souveneirs or food

- Food is always good

4) Chicago... well unfortunately it's hard to go around it from the way you're coming from, ... i don't have anything nice to say about chicago...

- I'm probably going to be taking to Lake Ferry from Milwaukee instead of going through Chicago.

5) northern IN, ..there are some large sand dunes along lake MI, ...IN dunes nat'l seashore or some such thing... that should be easy to get to from 94...

6) MI, ..i've never been to MI, but i'd imagine there are some neat small towns through there....

7) if you decide to go through northern OH, ..camp perry and cedar point (amusement park) are along the way...

8) western PA and NY (erie shore), ...these are snowbelt areas, i'd imagine some neat small towns and places to stop...
Thanks for the advice
Old 06-20-2012, 06:35 PM   #8
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouyin2000 View Post
Thanks for the advice
sure, glad to help!
Old 06-25-2012, 06:58 PM   #9

So here is another question.

Since I'm planning on crossing the border back into Canada at Sarnia, and then re-entering the USA in Niagara, would I be able to declare the $500 of products in Ontario and then ANOTHER $500 when I get into New Brunswick?
Old 07-10-2012, 01:02 PM   #11
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouyin2000 View Post
So here is another question.

Since I'm planning on crossing the border back into Canada at Sarnia, and then re-entering the USA in Niagara, would I be able to declare the $500 of products in Ontario and then ANOTHER $500 when I get into New Brunswick?
I would imagine that would be the case, since you already declared something, you wouldn't have to declare it again.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #14
IluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Demolition
IluvTEA's Tacoma Gallery
I was born and raised in Michigan. If you want to see something cool, visit Frankenmuth. It looks like its only about 30 minutes north of your route but it would be worth the drive. It's a small town that is inspired and built like a town you would find in Germany. It is also home to the world's largest Christmas store! It is seriously the size of a Super Walmart! Its open year 'round and only carries Christmas stuff. You'd probably find some great deals this time of year.

If you want to go waaay out of your way... visiting Mackinaw (or sometimes spelled Mackinac) island is pretty neat. Its between the Upper and Lower Peninsula of MI and is only accessible by boat. Vehicles aren't allowed on the island but there are horse-drawn carriages and lots of stuff to do including to tour the fort. I guess since you are so far north now, you could just drive through the UP, visit Mackinaw then drive down through the LP, visit Frankenmuth, then over to Sarnia.

Wow, sorry for all the talking. Enjoy the rest of your trip!!
Old 07-14-2012, 08:22 PM   #16
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
What are you towing behind you?
Old 07-14-2012, 08:24 PM   #17
YellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

YellowDog01's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc35 View Post
The real Merica is below the Mason-Dixon line, enjoy as much as you can.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:43 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekabraham View Post
What are you towing behind you?
Just a little utility trailer with a couple of boxes full of misc stuff for weight.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:13 AM   #19
BRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
BRUIN8124's Tacoma Gallery
Once you hit Maine check out:

Old Orchard Beach - nice beach lots of Canadians

Portland - nice city lots of good food, grab a lobster and a local beer

Freeport - L. L. Bean

Acadia National Park/Bar Harbor - a little out of the way but very cool

Baxter State Park - again, a little out of the way but very cool (like everything in Maine)

Just a few suggestions... I can give more specifics if interested.

Safe travels, have fun!