Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

What's a fair price for a canal?

Old 06-18-2012, 05:07 PM   #1
addicus24 is on a distinguished road
EMS: Paramedic
addicus24's Tacoma Gallery
What's a fair price for a canal?

I've had tooth that began hurting a little bit about three days ago. Thought I'd just been brushing a little too hard. Then today it started hurting more than a little bit. When I noticed that if I held ice water on the tooth it pretty much stopped hurting I knew I was probably in for a root canal. Got an appointment with my dentist tomorrow at 9:00AM. I'm taking Lortab for pain and that's no fun either. Anybody know what a root canal should cost? I have great medical insurance but no dental coverage.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
Raddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Russell
Raddbus's Tacoma Gallery
Your looking at $800-$1000 possibly. First they do the root canal, then you'll most likely have a crown over it. You might get away this composite filling but I dought it.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:43 AM   #3
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
my wife had couple recently and they were I think around $1000, after the crown as well, unfortunately that was after insurance.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:22 AM   #4
Raddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Raddbus's Tacoma Gallery
So, what are the damages???
Old 06-20-2012, 02:14 PM   #5
Don't know yet Raddbus. I have an appt. on the 27th for the dentist to take another look. Said he wanted to be sure before he drilled out a tooth. He rxed antibiotic and vicodin yesterday. Tooth feels better now but still hurts. No dental insurance so I'll have to pay for the full ride. I'll be surprised if $1,000.00 is all I have to pay.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:24 PM   #6
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: electronics tech
Name: Kevin
newertoy's Tacoma Gallery
Is it in the back--wisdom?
I went thru pain -orthodonics- ect for TWO YEARS-trying to save a tooth.
I Finally told him to PULL IT--DONE! No more pain.
It was AN UPPER REAR TOOTH--Best thing I ever did--Wish I knew BEFORE all the bullshit.
Could have saved a SHITLOAD of money too.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:27 PM   #7
Hey newertoy. It's an upper tooth and two teeth forward from my wisdom tooth. I'm wondering what the repercussions would be to not having a tooth there. To replace it don't they use a "bridge"? Seems like not having a tooth there for a while would change my bite and lead to headaches etc. Did you replace your tooth or just leave it. Cost is also an issue. I don't mind paying for a root canal if it's gonna fix my problem. What I don't want to do is pay for a R C and then have to pull the tooth later on when it fails. Then I have two bills. Hope this post makes sense. I'm pretty buzzed right now because of the Vicodin.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:31 PM   #8
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
A root canal should fix your problem... I paid $800 for one about 7 years ago. Had to have that done because the tooth broke, then spent another $800 for a crown. Haven't had any problems since "knock on wood"

If the top of the tooth is in good shape, you might not need a crown now, but sometime in the future, you will.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:32 PM   #9
Bangers Runner
GotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
GotLift37's Tacoma Gallery
im going in the moring to hopefully get a tooth pulled 2nd molar from the back. it hurts like damnit.. can only sleep as long as the advil is working just a couple hours though. i have a molar same tooth opposite side on the bottom get pulled about 5 years ago. best thing i ever did. got me a script of pain pills for the pain and anti biotic so help heal it.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:38 PM   #10
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseRed008 View Post
A root canal should fix your problem... I paid $800 for one about 7 years ago. Had to have that done because the tooth broke, then spent another $800 for a crown. Haven't had any problems since "knock on wood"

If the top of the tooth is in good shape, you might not need a crown now, but sometime in the future, you will.
this id say about $1500+ for root canal and crown...
if you do root canal and wait on the crown you risk cracking or spliting the tooth then has to be removed
ask me how i know
Old 06-20-2012, 04:41 PM   #11
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
this id say about $1500+ for root canal and crown...
if you do root canal and wait on the crown you risk cracking or spliting the tooth then has to be removed
ask me how i know
Think the back teeth are more susceptible to breaking than front teeth. I had a root canal in '84 and just got a crown last year - doc said it was time

How big was the filling in the tooth?
Old 06-20-2012, 06:13 PM   #12
Dentist is talking about going ahead and putting a crown on after doing RC. Said something about putting a "post" in also. This situation seems to be getting worse and worse. I've had a RC when I had dental insurance. Don't remember what total cost was for that one. Didn't have a "post" put in though. I think a "post" goes into the jaw bone. Sounds just like a party!!
Old 06-20-2012, 06:24 PM   #13
Gone But Not Forgotten

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by addicus24 View Post
Dentist is talking about going ahead and putting a crown on after doing RC. Said something about putting a "post" in also. This situation seems to be getting worse and worse. I've had a RC when I had dental insurance. Don't remember what total cost was for that one. Didn't have a "post" put in though. I think a "post" goes into the jaw bone. Sounds just like a party!!
"post" just goes into the tooth to help hold the crown mounting
Old 06-20-2012, 06:55 PM   #14
Thanks for the info ImpulseRed008. Sounds better than going into the bone!
Old 06-20-2012, 06:56 PM   #15
Gone But Not Forgotten

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by addicus24 View Post
Thanks for the info ImpulseRed008. Sounds better than going into the bone!
Most definitely... Good luck
Old 06-21-2012, 07:48 AM   #16

Raddbus's Tacoma Gallery
Posts are placed inside the tooth, not to the bone. Some of the time there isn't enough tooth structure to get a good bond for the crown so they put a post. I have a post in one of mine with a crown over. When a RC is done, the tooth is DEAD, no more nerves so it become brittle and can break so they put on a crown. If you have the tooth removed, best to have a bridge or your bite can change. btw, my father was a dentist and I was his assistant for 6 years and have worked in the dental field for 14 years. I don't know everything but just wanted to help out, Good Luck, sorry no insurance. It's gonna hurt your wallet but most Dental offices offer payment plans. Hope all goes well.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:27 PM   #17
Thanks for the info Raddbus. I think I'll go with the RC. If, in the future, the RC fails I guess they can pull the remaining tooth and use a bridge.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:57 PM   #18
Had the tooth pulled yesterday. Was too fractured to support a RC. Going to have a bridge. Implant would take too long considering healing time between procedures.
Having it pulled wasn't too bad. Didn't feel a thing. First permanent tooth I've lost. Took it home with me as a memento!
Old 06-29-2012, 03:32 PM   #19

Raddbus's Tacoma Gallery
Put it under you pillow, see if the tooth fairy brings you something, LOL. But seriously, that's to bad. Hope all goes well. My son just came back from the dentist for his cleaning, HOLY SHIT!!!!!! 15 cavities, that's over half of all his teeth. Had 8 done yesterday, the others will have to wait till jan for insurance to roll over. Total Bill before insurance....$3500.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:53 PM   #20
Gone But Not Forgotten

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddbus View Post
Put it under you pillow, see if the tooth fairy brings you something, LOL. But seriously, that's to bad. Hope all goes well. My son just came back from the dentist for his cleaning, HOLY SHIT!!!!!! 15 cavities, that's over half of all his teeth. Had 8 done yesterday, the others will have to wait till jan for insurance to roll over. Total Bill before insurance....$3500.
How old is said son? Does he ever brush his teeth?