Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

my dog + thunderstorms = a doorless house

Old 06-22-2012, 10:43 PM   #1
DueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
DueNorth's Tacoma Gallery
my dog + thunderstorms = a doorless house

Well at this rate i'll be doorless in about a year and a half. This is what i happens when there's thunderstorms and my 7 year old golden retrievers are left alone... Apparently i shouldn't be closing doors in my house, ever. I get it now.
Last night..

3 months ago

5 months ago

Maggie is on the left, she's the culprit. All the doors damaged were upstairs. So usually a baby gate on the staircase keeps them from getting up there for the most part. But as soon as fireworks or thunderstorms happen, she is scared for her life. I don't know what to do anymore so i'm open to ideas.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:46 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Cute dogs though!!
Old 06-22-2012, 10:49 PM   #4
DueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaholandho View Post
Leave the doors open?
No more doors left to close soon anyways. lol I wonder what's next though....
Old 06-22-2012, 10:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Cute dogs though!!
Thanks.... They're cute till that happens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynewtoy View Post

you need steel doors.
My buddy just mentioned that today. Unfortunately i think she would just start digging at the carpet and subfloor instead.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:01 PM   #7
SSS
oneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: SSS
oneBIGroom's Tacoma Gallery
Oh shit that funny
Old 06-22-2012, 11:03 PM   #8
SSS
oneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

An indoor dog pen for when you're away during storms/fireworks?

Old 06-22-2012, 11:07 PM   #9
jaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jared
jaw154's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneBIGroom View Post
An indoor dog pen for when you're away during storms/fireworks?

I say no because then they will probably feel more trapped in a confined place
Old 06-22-2012, 11:11 PM   #10
Resident Fishing Expert
Maverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kameron
Maverick904's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw154 View Post
I say no because then they will probably feel more trapped in a confined place
if a dog is properly crate trained... their crate will be a place of safety for them.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:18 PM   #12

Quote:
yeah i think they would go crazy in a small cage and maybe hurt themselves.
Oh yea i agree. Both my dogs have never been in a crate. In fact only time ever for my male was when he got neutered. I had asked for the vet to specifically not put him in a crate and of course he did anyways. I got a call less than 2hours after surgery to pick him because he was "freakin" out. I goot there and both his paws were a bloody mess from him trying to claw his way out. Needless to say, that wasn't a good experience.

My female came from a honey that kept to her outside in a 10x10 or in the garage 24/7. Either or but she was definitely neglected a lot. I can't put her through that again. So other than using crates....
Old 06-22-2012, 11:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick904 View Post
if a dog is properly crate trained... their crate will be a place of safety for them.

Good advice, i should have done this from the get go. Definitely a bad move on my part. That would have saved a lot of damage to my house... ie, holes in the carpet, couch cushions and throw pillows ripped up, etc etc.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:21 PM   #14
SSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gylar View Post
Oh yea i agree. Both my dogs have never been in a crate. In fact only time ever for my male was when he got neutered. I had asked for the vet to specifically not put him in a crate and of course he did anyways. I got a call less than 2hours after surgery to pick him because he was "freakin" out. I goot there and both his paws were a bloody mess from him trying to claw his way out. Needless to say, that wasn't a good experience.

My female came from a honey that kept to her outside in a 10x10 or in the garage 24/7. Either or but she was definitely neglected a lot. I can't put her through that again. So other than using crates....
Train him. It'd be like training bird dog not to be gun shy.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:22 PM   #15

I should add, 99% of the time i don't have an issue with my dogs doing anything bad while they're left alone. Its only when fireworks/thunder happen.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:31 PM   #17

Quote:
maybe you could do something like this just higher up

and my offer still stands for the teacup chihuahua

lol sorry man, i really can't stant most small dogs. Forgot to mention my gf has a Jack Russell, i'll give her to ya so you can have two dogs. Twice the amount of fun.

Nice idea for the door, i still think she would dig at the floor though and that would certainly get more expensive to fix than a door. Pretty much just keep the doors open at all times and hopefully she doesn't ruin anything else. Someone else just brought to my attention a product called the Thundershirt and a calming type collar that i could try as well.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:37 PM   #18
mynewtoy has much to be proud ofmynewtoy has much to be proud ofmynewtoy has much to be proud ofmynewtoy has much to be proud ofmynewtoy has much to be proud ofmynewtoy has much to be proud ofmynewtoy has much to be proud ofmynewtoy has much to be proud of

Name: greg
mynewtoy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gylar View Post
lol sorry man, i really can't stant most small dogs. Forgot to mention my gf has a Jack Russell, i'll give her to ya so you can have two dogs. Twice the amount of fun.

Nice idea for the door, i still think she would dig at the floor though and that would certainly get more expensive to fix than a door. Pretty much just keep the doors open at all times and hopefully she doesn't ruin anything else. Someone else just brought to my attention a product called the Thundershirt and a calming type collar that i could try as well.
yeah i can't stand small dogs either. and this one has a pea brain. literally. i think the main thing is to train him like oneBIGroom said not to freak out when it thunders
Old 06-22-2012, 11:49 PM   #19
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Valium. No shit ...

"Diazepam [generic name of Valium] is also used to treat anxiety and panic disorders. Examples include ... dogs that suffer from fear of thunderstorms, fireworks or other situations."

If you're going to be gone, but expect storms, dose them before you go.

http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/dise...pam-Valium.htm
Old 06-23-2012, 08:48 AM   #20
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
Holy shit, are the dogs okay? That looks like it did some damage to them as well!