Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Cordless impact wrench purchase

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-28-2012, 04:48 PM   #1
tacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacovic's Tacoma Gallery
Cordless impact wrench purchase

I am in the market for a cordless impact wrench and am having a hard time figuring out which type is best for me. I would like to get something that will last me a long time and I will use it at least once a week. It will be mainly for taking mower blades off of my commercial lawn mower and occasionally take the wheels off my 4runner. I want to make sure I get something with enough torque to complete these tasks. This is the one I was looking at...

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DC820KA...+impact+wrench

A buddy of mine who is a mechanic says I should get something with much more torque. This one claims to have around 140 ft/lbs. I like that it is compact and it would be easy for fitting into tight spaces. It seems like all of the higher torque wrenches are big and bulky.

Any opinions or suggestions?
Old 06-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #2
Max's Canadian Twin
theduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
theduck911's Tacoma Gallery
I've been using this Impact (as well as one of my mechanics) for over a year or so and well his has probably seen more nuts and bolts then it will with the average wheeler. Definitely a good buy for anywhere anytime.

Mine stays in my truck almost 100% of the time

I'd suggest getting a good/decently priced set of impact sockets as well to accompany it.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:53 PM   #3
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
I'd say Makita. I don't know the specs on any of them but have used Makita's and they are very compact but that is with a lithium battery. The one you have linked is a Nicd. Go for a lithium no matter what brand imo. Light weight and better batteries.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:37 PM   #4
tacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacovic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by theduck911 View Post
I've been using this Impact (as well as one of my mechanics) for over a year or so and well his has probably seen more nuts and bolts then it will with the average wheeler. Definitely a good buy for anywhere anytime.

Mine stays in my truck almost 100% of the time

I'd suggest getting a good/decently priced set of impact sockets as well to accompany it.
The same one as I linked? Does it have enough torque for removing lug nuts and rusty bolts? I really would like this one to work since it is a good price and I love the size of it.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:00 PM   #5

tacovic's Tacoma Gallery
Bump. Looking to purchase one tonight or tomorrow. Any input is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:10 PM   #6
dtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dtmccray's Tacoma Gallery
I used one of the snap-on 18v 1/2" drive impacts every day for about 2-3 years never had any problems out of it. Every now and then I ran into bolts/nuts that it wouldnt break loose but I was working on yachts that had been in salt and fresh water for years so some stuff was rusted solid.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:13 AM   #7

tacovic's Tacoma Gallery
Im thinking ill go with this one.. Has twice the torque and a great warranty.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...llow&cId=PDIO1
Old 06-29-2012, 04:51 AM   #8
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

stewartx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacovic View Post
I am in the market for a cordless impact wrench (snip)
Lug nuts need to be installed with between 60 and 120 ft/lbs of torque (depending on the size of the nut). This variable-speed Dewalt DC820KA cordless impact wrench is rated at 140 ft/lbs, so certainly should do the job. Rusted nuts and bolts are a chore for any wrench, but that much torque should get it off eventually.

I don't have this particular wrench, but I'm a fan of Dewalt cordless tools in general. As evidence of that, I have more than a dozen of them and all have served me very well.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:31 AM   #9
He who walk with a Cane
CoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gramps
CoTacoTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacovic View Post
Im thinking ill go with this one.. Has twice the torque and a great warranty.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...llow&cId=PDIO1
Damn that is a good warranty. But who makes that I wonder since that is Lowe's private label brand. I wonder if it is Bosch.

X2 on the dewalt one. I have great tools from them that have lasted a really long time.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:36 AM   #10
"Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7
rleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Master Sergeant, Training Superintendent, 67th Network Warfare Wing
Name: Bob
rleeharris's Tacoma Gallery
DeWalt IMO. Love the reliability and endurance. I've had the same 18V DeWalt drill since 1992 and have only replaced the batteries once. The thing is a champ/beast. My Lowe's carries a DeWalt cordless impact wrench (18V, 1/2") for around $275.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:37 AM   #11
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
I got the craftsman professional 20 volt impact for like $210 on sale and its been great.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:38 AM   #12
"the soulless ginger"
PAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
PAlittlematty's Tacoma Gallery
I've never seen a kobalt version of an impact gun. Our company uses Dewalt exclusively. Some guys own their tools and have makita or craftsman. The Dewalt products are amazing and will take a beating. Just don't make the mistake of buying lithium
Old 06-29-2012, 05:40 AM   #13
"the soulless ginger"
PAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Oh and if you do look at buying Dewalt, don't buy it at lowes. Find a commercial tool store to buy it from. The ones lowes sells are a step below the commercial/industrial version
Old 06-29-2012, 05:40 AM   #14
puckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

puckstopper55's Tacoma Gallery
Check this out. Its almost the same quality as Dewalt, and 1/2 the price. Also, just as much torque as the Lowes one.

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-P...words=PC1800ID

or

http://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-P...+impact+driver
Old 06-29-2012, 05:43 AM   #15
puckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAlittlematty View Post
Oh and if you do look at buying Dewalt, don't buy it at lowes. Find a commercial tool store to buy it from. The ones lowes sells are a step below the commercial/industrial version
why do you say that?
Old 06-29-2012, 05:47 AM   #16
"the soulless ginger"

Does lowes sell the xrp versions? I don't think they do.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:12 AM   #17

Quote:
Does lowes sell the xrp versions? I don't think they do.
I am 99.99% sure the XRP is specific to battery packs, and basically means longer run time, through higher capacity aH cells.

I know for 10000% fact that a dewalt tool sold at lowes, is the same dewalt tool sold in walmart, or a contractor store. As long as the model #'s match, its the same tool. There is no "better" line of Dewalt.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:46 AM   #18
"the soulless ginger"

I believe you're correct. I checked my tools and I have a Dewalt 825 and a 950, which is the 18 volt impact and the drill/hammer drill. Only difference is the ones listed on the lowes site has a "B" after them? My tools are pretty new so maybe a redesign? They look exactly the same. Maybe it is a different version?
Old 06-29-2012, 07:49 AM   #19

Quote:
I believe you're correct. I checked my tools and I have a Dewalt 825 and a 950, which is the 18 volt impact and the drill/hammer drill. Only difference is the ones listed on the lowes site has a "B" after them? My tools are pretty new so maybe a redesign? They look exactly the same. Maybe it is a different version?
I cant tell you what the B stands for, but I will say it has nothing to do with the tool itself.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:08 AM   #20
joesmith is on a distinguished road
joesmith's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I've never seen a kobalt version of an impact gun. Our company uses Dewalt exclusively. Some guys own their tools and have makita or craftsman. The Dewalt products are amazing and will take a beating. Just don't make the mistake of buying lithium
What is the downside to lithium battery packs?

Products Discussed in this Thread