Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Which bank for a mortgage?

Old 07-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #1
DCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines:
DCGirl's Tacoma Gallery
Which bank for a mortgage?

I am considering getting a condo and was debating on which bank to use. I am waiting on Navy Federal but don't think they will give me higher than a 41% back end ratio. I need a 45% back end to get a place in a decent area. I am pretty paranoid about using one of the big banks but wanted to know if anybody out there had experience with them like Bank of America, Wells Fargo, Chase. Most of the condo's I am considering seem to be short sales.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #2
N7MCS
Chipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31R, HHB, 2/43 ADA Battalian, 108th ADA Brigade, XVIII Airborne Corps
Name: Chip
Chipskip's Tacoma Gallery
Have you talked to USAA?
Old 07-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #3
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
Dang..if you were in jersey i could hook ya up
Old 07-08-2012, 01:57 PM   #4
DCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines:
DCGirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipskip View Post
Have you talked to USAA?
Considering it. Any idea how long it would take for a pre-approval from them?
Old 07-08-2012, 02:54 PM   #6
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
When I bought my house, just used the bank the realtor recommended.

Check with your friends/co-workers and see who they have used.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:03 PM   #7
jsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 6th Motor Transport Battalion
Name: Jeff
jsmarine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCGirl View Post
I am in the process of buying a house right now, and I am using USAA. The preapproval was easy, you can do it online and have any answer within minutes.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
"Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"
Bobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
Bobbb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmarine View Post
I am in the process of buying a house right now, and I am using USAA. The preapproval was easy, you can do it online and have any answer within minutes.
I concur. My pre-approval with USAA literally took less than 10 minutes. One thing to take note of with them, if you do finance through USAA, don't expect the loan to stay with them. By the time mine was final, it was owned by US Bank. My buddy did a refi at the same time through USAA and his ended up at GMAC/Ally. Seems they were doing nothing more than acting as a clearinghouse rather than an actual loaning agency.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:45 PM   #9
There's no place like 127.0.0.1
BuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BuckNakedBooda's Tacoma Gallery
Have you considered using www.lendingtree.com ? I have refinanced with them 3 times. The first 2 times went thru Bank of Kansas City then the last time (March 2012) went thru Lending Tree. Before closing they did punt me to Wells Fargo. The process with them is extremely painless.....
Old 07-08-2012, 04:47 PM   #10
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
How long is the ammortization on a typical US mortgage ?
Old 07-08-2012, 04:49 PM   #11
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbb View Post
I concur. My pre-approval with USAA literally took less than 10 minutes. One thing to take note of with them, if you do finance through USAA, don't expect the loan to stay with them. By the time mine was final, it was owned by US Bank. My buddy did a refi at the same time through USAA and his ended up at GMAC/Ally. Seems they were doing nothing more than acting as a clearinghouse rather than an actual loaning agency.
Most banks sell their mortgages. Mine ended up with US Bank as well.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:49 PM   #12
N7MCS
Chipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31R, HHB, 2/43 ADA Battalian, 108th ADA Brigade, XVIII Airborne Corps
Name: Chip
Chipskip's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCGirl View Post
I bought my house with USAA, per-approval was easy and fast. The seller's realtor saw I was with USAA and told the seller not to let me get away. My realtor said it was the smoothest process he had ever seen.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:51 PM   #13
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Former FF/EMT
Name: Chris
Fink's Tacoma Gallery
The mortgage company I work for has a branch in San Diego but we can lend in all states.

I'll PM you the e-mail address for the Branch Manager there. Tell her I sent you and be sure to reply with your name so I can let her know you'll be contacting her.

Fink
Old 07-08-2012, 04:53 PM   #14
Go Jets GO!!!!!!
DigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud of

Firefighter: Firefighter, WFD, E13, L13, W131/2
DigB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
How long is the ammortization on a typical US mortgage ?
I think they are measured in generations not years...
Old 07-08-2012, 05:03 PM   #15
Marines:
DCGirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckNakedBooda View Post
Have you considered using www.lendingtree.com ? I have refinanced with them 3 times. The first 2 times went thru Bank of Kansas City then the last time (March 2012) went thru Lending Tree. Before closing they did punt me to Wells Fargo. The process with them is extremely painless.....
No I had not but. Always thought of them as lending to people with bad credit, bankruptcy, etc.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:08 PM   #16
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaholandho View Post
Typically 30 years. The smart ones go 15 and realize lower interest rate.
Thanks

What's an average rate for the 30 years ?
Old 07-08-2012, 05:09 PM   #17
Gone But Not Forgotten

Air Force:
Quote:
Thanks

What's an average rate for the 30 years ?
Pretty decent at the moment.... just looked and got 3.99%
Old 07-08-2012, 05:12 PM   #18

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks to you both

I find the US system of mortgages facinating as it is so different from here .

In Canada the maximum ammortization is 25 years and your payment of that is broken up into terms of generally 1-5 years , 7 and 10 years being rare
Old 07-08-2012, 05:26 PM   #19
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Former FF/EMT
Name: Chris
Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks to you both

I find the US system of mortgages facinating as it is so different from here .

In Canada the maximum ammortization is 25 years and your payment of that is broken up into terms of generally 1-5 years , 7 and 10 years being rare
That's really how it should be done.

The others are right about going with the 15 year Notes - much smarter in the long run.

Fink
Old 07-08-2012, 05:26 PM   #20
TRUCK YEAH
Saskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Saskquatch11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaholandho View Post
Rates in Canada? and what does it mean that payments are broken up 1-5 years?
I locked in at 3.69% for 5 years in 2009 when I bought my condo. in 2014 when the term is up for renewal I can either lock in for another 1-5 years at whatever rate they offer or go with variable rate.