Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Welder or Diesel Mechanic?

Old 07-12-2012, 05:29 PM   #1
jeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief 62 AMXS
Name: Drew
jeckel7234's Tacoma Gallery
Welder or Diesel Mechanic?

I've been going to school for the last year for engineering using the post 9-11 GI Bill, which has been great but it only last 3 years and I would need 4 to get my degree. So I've been tossing around getting a certification in either welding or as a diesel mechanic, and get a job afterwards and slowly work towards the engineering degree. I'm leaning towards diesel mechanic because I would love to work for CSX or another railroad company but does anybody have any recommendations or any other certs that may be better
Old 07-12-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clayton
kirkofwimbo's Tacoma Gallery
I know a guy that did exactly that, he became a diesel tech for Ford, and worked on his engineering degree while doing that. He is now higher up at Ford and making mega bucks. Good luck with whatever you decide. A lot of money in welding, but it sure is tough work.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
jeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkofwimbo View Post
I know a guy that did exactly that, he became a diesel tech for Ford, and worked on his engineering degree while doing that. He is now higher up at Ford and making mega bucks. Good luck with whatever you decide. A lot of money in welding, but it sure is tough work.
yea from what ive found online for the most part except for the extremes their salaries are about the same, and I would really imagine welding would get boring.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:07 PM   #4

bump anyone else
Old 07-12-2012, 07:26 PM   #5
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I haven't done either as a trade, but have spent some time around an automotive shop. The local ambulance company's mechanic used to rent out a couple of bays from my boss. This guy was polished, he specialized in Ford diesel pickups and Ford ambulance chassis. Yes, he worked hard and he got dirty, but he owned his own business, wrote his own ticket, and seemed to be doing very well money wise. He knew how to work smart and never seemed to be struggling to get a job done. I eventually decided I didn't want to get greasy at work, and I went another way, but I've always looked up to that guy and thought it was a decent way to earn a living.

The only welding I've ever done was at the community college. I took one class. I'd say that welding is most likely one of the hottest, dirtiest jobs you could choose. I hear the money is very good though.

If I were to choose one or the other, I'd go diesel. It just seems like a better work environment. Of course, trains are a whole different story. I'd imagine everything about it is heavier.....tools, parts, etc....all day long....and probably at night too.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:31 PM   #6
Cuz Stock Sucks
amaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
amaes's Tacoma Gallery
A lot of my family are in the pipeline welding field and really like it. I also know that they make a ton of money if you put the effort into it. One of my uncles that passed away was pulling in $250k+ a year doing it. But he had to travel a lot.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post
I haven't done either as a trade, but have spent some time around an automotive shop. The local ambulance company's mechanic used to rent out a couple of bays from my boss. This guy was polished, he specialized in Ford diesel pickups and Ford ambulance chassis. Yes, he worked hard and he got dirty, but he owned his own business, wrote his own ticket, and seemed to be doing very well money wise. He knew how to work smart and never seemed to be struggling to get a job done. I eventually decided I didn't want to get greasy at work, and I went another way, but I've always looked up to that guy and thought it was a decent way to earn a living.

The only welding I've ever done was at the community college. I took one class. I'd say that welding is most likely one of the hottest, dirtiest jobs you could choose. I hear the money is very good though.

If I were to choose one or the other, I'd go diesel. It just seems like a better work environment. Of course, trains are a whole different story. I'd imagine everything about it is heavier.....tools, parts, etc....all day long....and probably at night too.

yea my biggest incentive for wanting to work at one of the railroads are thay most of them seem to be great places to work as far as pay and benefits. When I got out of the AF a year ago they gave me a book listing 100 of the top employers for vets and something like 4 of the top 6 were railroad companies
Old 07-12-2012, 07:39 PM   #8
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
I'm doing diesel, I've welded a fair bit and I wouldn't want to do it as a living.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
I'm doing diesel, I've welded a fair bit and I wouldn't want to do it as a living.
How are you liking diesel mech? whats your day to day like? and is there an advantage to doing something like wyotech vs something like a community college for the most part. sorry for all the questions and thanks for any info you can share
Old 07-12-2012, 09:13 PM   #10
slo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
slo13zx3's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a tech i love it been doing it for years. you learn more in the shop then in school
Old 07-12-2012, 09:16 PM   #11
06yoda is a jewel in the rough06yoda is a jewel in the rough06yoda is a jewel in the rough06yoda is a jewel in the rough
Navy: Engineman
Name: Tanner
06yoda's Tacoma Gallery
Should've joined the Navy. Then you could have a few of the popular schools and get your Journeymans License like me. I should have mine done in about 2 more years then I'm going to go for my Master Cert. and still get paid to do my job. On that note go with the diesel school since the sudden demand and cultural shift in the US economy picking up on the diesel bug. They are changing and becoming a lot more common. Pick up welding at a trade class just for fun.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:17 PM   #12
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Aerospace Ground Equipment Mechanic
Name: Jason
Detective_Dan's Tacoma Gallery
you are a crew chief so im sure you know my job, AGE.

i thought i would love being a diesel mechanic but it turns out i hate it lol. practically the same s**t, different day. it gets very repetitive and boring fast. if i were in your shoes, i would try for something where you would be doing different jobs on a daily basis. maybe one day you are pulling an engine, and the next you are welding a frame, then the next day you run diagnostics on a motor.

dont become a mechanic if all you are going to do is oil changes and filter changes. you will get bored quite quickly
Old 07-12-2012, 09:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06yoda View Post
Should've joined the Navy. Then you could have a few of the popular schools and get your Journeymans License like me. I should have mine done in about 2 more years then I'm going to go for my Master Cert. and still get paid to do my job. On that note go with the diesel school since the sudden demand and cultural shift in the US economy picking up on the diesel bug. They are changing and becoming a lot more common. Pick up welding at a trade class just for fun.
i dont get what you mean by popular schools? all of the diesels techs did yall just go strait to work for a company or did you go to school for it first
Old 07-12-2012, 09:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective_Dan View Post
you are a crew chief so im sure you know my job, AGE.

i thought i would love being a diesel mechanic but it turns out i hate it lol. practically the same s**t, different day. it gets very repetitive and boring fast. if i were in your shoes, i would try for something where you would be doing different jobs on a daily basis. maybe one day you are pulling an engine, and the next you are welding a frame, then the next day you run diagnostics on a motor.

dont become a mechanic if all you are going to do is oil changes and filter changes. you will get bored quite quickly
o yea i know AGE, do you have any suggestions for something that would cover all of that?
Old 07-12-2012, 09:25 PM   #15
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Aerospace Ground Equipment Mechanic
Name: Jason
Detective_Dan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeckel7234 View Post
o yea i know AGE, do you have any suggestions for something that would cover all of that?
at the moment, i cant really think of anything. you would need to try for something like a diesel engine overhaul shop. somewhere that you will be fixing major engine problems will deffinently keep you occupied and interested. i worked maintenance in my shop for about a year and i loved it. constantly pulling blown motors out of jammers, MEP's, and mules would keep me entertained till the end of time. now ive been in inspections for about 6 months and all i do is lubrication, oil and filter changes, and maybe wheel bearings. it is so repetitive that im like a robot at work now and i am constantly trying to find things to replace just to entertain myself and throw something new into the mix
Old 07-12-2012, 09:28 PM   #16
06yoda is a jewel in the rough06yoda is a jewel in the rough06yoda is a jewel in the rough06yoda is a jewel in the rough
Navy: Engineman
Name: Tanner
06yoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeckel7234 View Post
i dont get what you mean by popular schools? all of the diesels techs did yall just go strait to work for a company or did you go to school for it first
For me it is Cummins, Caterpillar, Paxton, Colt Pilsticks, mostly marine diesels/ Generators.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06yoda View Post
For me it is Cummins, Caterpillar, Paxton, Colt Pilsticks, mostly marine diesels/ Generators.
did the navy give you some kind of advantage there? getting in with CAT or cummins would be awesome