LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

best way to get rid of ants

Old 07-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #1
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
best way to get rid of ants

okay I have a huge ant problem and its driving me insane...im seriously thinking about moving out when my lease ends. I keep a fairly fastideous house no food or sugary drinks left out....I had the exterminator come out here 3x the first time it worked for a lil while but the ants came back after a while. Its so bad i cannot feed my snakes frozen mice cause the ants get to it before the snakes, I cant leave food out on the counters more than 10 mins, they come to water they literally drink outta my pets water bowls the sink shower toilet ect, I have no food laying around but theyre even eating my boot polish for gods sake, I hardly ever am home to even leave food out (leave at six come home 9 go to bed 10) hell they even sometimes crawl into bed with me.

how do i get rid of these dern things, I keep the house tidy and every thing I can outta reach, but it seems like since theyre willing to eat boot polish they eat anything
Old 07-19-2012, 06:22 PM   #2
soxsdaddy is on a distinguished road

soxsdaddy's Tacoma Gallery
Do you go to ECU?
Old 07-19-2012, 06:23 PM   #3
greenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shed
greenrustic's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.terro.com/products.php?pr...iquid_ant_bait

This is the only thing I have found that works.

Or

If you can figure out where they are coming in you can put out some DE (diatomaceous earth) but I've had better luck with the bait traps
Old 07-19-2012, 06:23 PM   #4
No amount of balls on earth can hit you.
Rupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rupp1's Tacoma Gallery
Are they the little black ones?
Old 07-19-2012, 06:23 PM   #5
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Fire the exterminator.

Stop killing spiders.
Spiders eat ants.
Get a cat. Cats eat spiders.

Why do you have ants? Likely because you have termites. Ants don't always go for sweets or grease... they like termites.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:25 PM   #6
Young Padawan
Jonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS: Was EMT Cert. for 2 years in CO.
Name: Spencer
Jonesn13's Tacoma Gallery
Ants usually will not cross chalk lines for some odd reason. Have you traced them back to the origin?
Old 07-19-2012, 06:25 PM   #7
Rupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rupp1's Tacoma Gallery
You need to follow the trail out of the house and treat where the nest is.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:27 PM   #8
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
I wanted to respond with a "kill them", but it seems like that is not even an option. If the exterminator can't get rid of them , then I don't know what you can do. The stuff that professional exterminators buy are typically much stronger than what you can buy at the box stores.
Moving out might be the best option, but make sure you don't take them with you. Check inside couches etc. before you move.
I had some ants at my house recently and I bought an Ortho spray at Home Depot that worked pretty good, but you have to spray every week, even though the can says it works for 6 months.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:28 PM   #9
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupp1 View Post
Are they the little black ones?
yup

nope i go to wilson tech

have not found the source...they literally come from everywhere

I keep spiders tree frogs and toads around my house to try to keep the insect pop. down, I have bat houses on the trees but no bats have moved in yet...just more spiders :P
Old 07-19-2012, 06:29 PM   #11
Danosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Danosabre's Tacoma Gallery
Try cinnamon, sprinkle it on the floor where ever they are, and watch them get confused. I have done it and it worked for me. I tried it because my 13 month old granddaughter was crawling everywhere and didnt want her to get into any poisons. I haven't had any since.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #12
Bartle Do Member
MXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Keith Stone
MXscott14's Tacoma Gallery

Old 07-19-2012, 06:33 PM   #13
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I'm having a similar ant problem. But it's my food they go for. I dont leave any food out either. They love my pantry and kitchen sink. They really like the honey nut cheerios (bastards!). I've followed them to where they come in the house, it's usually from behind a baseboard or most recently is from under the kitchen counter. I can't seem to find them outside, so I almost think they are coming up from under the house.

Ants suck. I want to lay out poison/baits, but my wife is paranoid and thinks that if we poison the ants they will take the poison into our food and in turn poison us.

I'm at a loss as to what to do.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:34 PM   #14

Rupp1's Tacoma Gallery
FYI- ants love free water...
Old 07-19-2012, 06:37 PM   #15
I like to break shit!

Firefighter:
im at a loss how to get rid of the free water, my pets need water and I cant wipe down the shower everytime I get out,
Old 07-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #16

Rupp1's Tacoma Gallery
I got rid of them a few years ago at my last house. I remember following them out into the yard, and finding the nest. Just can't recall what I put on it. I'm sure it came from one of the home stores though.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:41 PM   #17
I like to break shit!

Firefighter:
i might hafta do that sunday, i leave home when the sun rises and get back after it has set
Old 07-19-2012, 07:03 PM   #18
that was'nt a vitamin!!
pippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Pippen
pippen's Tacoma Gallery
G-VEGAS BABY!!!!! Ok dude I'm a hour south of you I kno your pain I feel it bruddah. My apt and last trailor had BAD ants, the trailerpark FYI is a calling to all ants FREE FOOD FREE SEX FREE DRINKS to sum it up. My trailor I rented I had to remove all pinestraw from roof, they build houses in there, and they got there from the pine tree that had sagging limbs on the roof, cut them off. Next I cut the, wait no I scalped the shit outta the grass next to the trailer and tried to remove everything down to dirt almost, then sprayed the shit outta it with this big red container that has a spray handle on it (I forgot the brand its a red anti-freeze shaped plastic container for ants and such), spray all around the house, then make sure your windows are tight, most ants come through windows or openings in the floor. That helped them ALOT for the trailer, and ofcourse keeping foods and dirty dishes washed helps alot too. For my apartment I used the Liquid Terro stuff in small bottle, I just put a drop of the syrup like consistency "liquid" around the windows and the trails they used, even in my cabinets, all over since I don't have any kids and stuff now or pets. I've also heard about the chalk too, like for around your garbage can or something, hey I watched this guy make a all natural method from a type of fungi (mushrooms), its awesome his name is Ted Stamets he is a mycologist (mushroom genius). Let me link his video and a picture and a quote since its really neato.

http://www.ted.com/talks/paul_stamet...the_world.html

Quote:
He knew that a certain type of entomopathogenic fungus could repel carpenter ants and termites with its spores. A dish of the fungus wouldn’t work as a bait, because the insects would avoid it. So, he made a non-sporulating form in his lab. The ants ate it up, and the problem solved itself. But it didn’t end there. The tiny mushrooms that subsequently sprouted from the bodies of the insect corpses did eventually sporulate, and those spores effectively prevented reinvasion by other ant colonies. That makes this fungus an extremely effective, long-term, and environmentally preferable solution to chemical pesticides.

Yes thats a mushroom sprouting out of the ants head
Old 07-19-2012, 07:08 PM   #19
I have to return some videotapes
JonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JonnyBb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrustic View Post
http://www.terro.com/products.php?pr...iquid_ant_bait

This is the only thing I have found that works.

Or

If you can figure out where they are coming in you can put out some DE (diatomaceous earth) but I've had better luck with the bait traps
X2 for Terro
Old 07-19-2012, 07:47 PM   #20
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
white vinegar. relatively cheap and non toxic to pets and humans. it does something to mess with the ants sense of smell.
just pour/spray it around your house making sure to get any doors, vents, windows, etc. reapply every couple of days until the ants move on. only downside is that any rain will wash it away so do it when the weather is cooperating and when its not too hot.