Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Trial court tomorrow -.-

Old 07-23-2012, 06:10 PM   #1
MxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MxRacer190's Tacoma Gallery
Trial court tomorrow -.-

Reckless Driving. I was on my motorcycle.

ticket says I was not maintaining my lane and doing 55mph in a 21mph zone.

Here is my defense:
1. I was taught to move from inside to outside of my OWN lane when coming to an intersection or stop sign. This is done to grab the attention of other vehicles while coming to a stop. But, I maintained my lane the whole time.

2. I was not doing 55mph. There is no way to travel that fast in this 21 mph zone. There are speed bumps, a round-a-bout, and a stop sign. I shot a video, in my truck, of me doing the speed limit around the same time as when I got the ticket (same traffic and weather). Alos, the officer did not have me on radar etc.

3. I've never had a ticket throughout my whole driving career. 15-22, 7 years, and NEVER had a violation.

Should be fun and interesting, and a learning experience. Better than handing over $750 and taking 3 points on my license without a fight.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
21mph zone? weird.

Good luck.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:13 PM   #3
Dark Lord of the Sith
wrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Tech Insp: 404 ASB/4th CAB
Name: Ryan Mathis
wrmathis's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to wrmathis Send a message via Yahoo to wrmathis
who the fuck has a 21 mph speed limit zone?
Old 07-23-2012, 06:14 PM   #4
MxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
21mph zone? weird.

Good luck.
yeah, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrmathis View Post
who the fuck has a 21 mph speed limit zone?

College campus
Old 07-23-2012, 06:17 PM   #5
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
No radar? During cross-examination, ask the cop how he ascertained your speed. If the speeding accusation fails, then half his evidence falls away.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MxRacer190 View Post

College campus
that's retarded, is 20mph too mainstream?
Old 07-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
No radar? During cross-examination, ask the cop how he ascertained your speed. If the speeding accusation fails, then half his evidence falls away.
thanks for the advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
that's retarded, is 20mph too mainstream?
hahaha. I guess so.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:24 PM   #8
krap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krap22's Tacoma Gallery
If you were weaving back and forth in your lane they he might have you for something, but if you just switched which side of the lane you were in, then there is nothing wrong with that.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:32 PM   #9
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
I want proof of your speed; no radar? Piss off. You stayed in your lane and didn't touch a white line? Yes? You are entitled to the entire width of the lane. You moved to the left side of your lane for your safety and the safety of pedestrians and other users of the road.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:32 PM   #10
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Unfortunately, your clean record might help persuade a jury, but "character" is inadmissible and the judge (or the times I've fought tickets, I've gotten a County Commissioner acting as judge) will ignore it.

Presenting the video may or may not be problematic. Best to go in prepared with large printed photos showing the speed bumps and obstacles rather than relying on a video that you may not be able to present.

You will generally not be allowed to approach the bench directly. Any exhibits that you have will be handed to the judge by the bailiff. It's not like you're going to be sitting at Starbucks able to share an iPhone video

Focus on what you were taught when approaching an intersection, and bring documentation from MSF or whatever school teaches this in your area. The judge may not be a rider and may have no clue about safe riding.

Be prepared to plea it down to a reasonable speeding ticket. I had a cop pick me off claiming 55 in a 40, but he wrote me under (b) rather than (a) which included "unsafe excessive".... the fine was $20 more (hey, I made $3.50/hr and the difference was $30 vs $50).
I told the judge that, while I was not going 55, that I would not be wasting the court's time had he written me under (a) as a simple speed violation.
Judge reduced the fine to the $30 minimum allowed by LA County.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:38 PM   #11
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
21 mph? Thats nothing, we have speed limits of 9 mph round here..lol
Old 07-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #12
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Good luck OP.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:44 PM   #13
I miss my Taco
Zombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Zombie's Tacoma Gallery
The problem with traffic court is that it is crooked as hell. Unless you have a lawyer its not worth trying to fight it. Judge will almost always take the officers side.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:47 PM   #14
Cranky & often armed sysadmin
Xaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Xaks
Xaks's Tacoma Gallery
The proof of your speeding is the burden of the accusor.

If they can't prove you were speeding, you're in pretty good shape.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:47 PM   #15
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Keep your expaination brief and in point form 1, 2, 3. That is all; do not add or change anything after you have made your statement. If the judge (or anyone) asks if you have anything further to add.....no. The more you talk, the more they will be able to poke holes in your statement. Keep it short and simple. Remember KISS.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:53 PM   #16
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaks View Post
The proof of your speeding is the burden of the accusor.

If they can't prove you were speeding, you're in pretty good shape.
That's the way it's supposed to work and the way we were told it works in my Constitutional Law class.

In reality, it boils down to the officer having more credibility in the judge's mind than the guy trying to get out of paying a ticket.

Normally, the best you can hope for is the officer doesn't show up.
Whether that happens often depends on what happened on the street.
The more "memorable" you were, the more likely he is to appear. If you were "that guy" that he told his buddies about back at the station, he's DEFINITELY going to show up.
If you blended in with the 20 other citations he wrote, he may not remember you. And this brings an important issue...

The officer must have clear independent recollection of the incident.
I actually got off on one ticket because the officer misquoted me, I corrected him, the judge asked "Is he correct?", and the officer responded that I was. Judge tossed it right there.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:59 PM   #17

Again, keep emotion out of it. Just the facts 1,2,3 say NO MORE and no less; just the facts. Good luck.

Kirk out.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:13 AM   #18

Not too bad. Not exactly what I wanted, but it's better than before.

Dropped the reckless driving to a speeding ticket. Instead of $750, now I only had to pay $260. Overall happy.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:18 AM   #19
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, so the 21 mph zone is so they can catch you on a bicycle and the other one, 9mph is so they can catch you on a segway? or running? WTF with odd ass speed limits, lol.....Congrats on the fine reduction.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:22 AM   #20
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck but you will probably learn it is best to lawyer up in these situations. Every motorcyclist I know hires a lawyer when it comes to traffic infractions.