Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Help me decide on a cell phone (Samsung galaxy s3 or iPhone 4s)

View Poll Results: Which one?
Iphone 4S 27 44.26%
Samsung Galaxy S3 34 55.74%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-26-2012, 12:57 AM   #1
GuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Alan
GuyWithCamera's Tacoma Gallery
Help me decide on a cell phone (Samsung galaxy s3 or iPhone 4s)

So my Palm Pre+ has finally gave out and I'm eligible for an upgrade.

I'm torn between the Iphone 4S or Samsung Galaxy S3.

http://versusio.com/en/samsung-galax...iphone-4s-64gb
Samsung

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/dev...id=0ep6OAWR7vQ

iPhone

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/dev...6gb-black.html

I like the feel and build quality of the iPhone, The camera is fantastic for a phone and so is video/audio and the fact I can transfer everything from my iTouch to the iPhone... But I know if I get the iPhone 4s that the 5 is literally just around the corner (october).

The Galaxy has more camera options and a few hidden tricks (like if you're texting someone and decide you want to call, just put the phone up to your ear), It has it's own rendition of siri that is more understanding, bigger screen and better front camera then the iPhone... But I have no first hand experience with this phone like I do the hundreds of friends that have a iPhone.

I won't know for sure which one I will get until I have the display model of the galaxy in my hand but maybe someone here has experience with both and can give me some insight.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:15 AM   #2
ross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant future
Army:
ross123's Tacoma Gallery
Get a free phone till the iPhone 5 comes out
Old 07-26-2012, 02:17 AM   #3
Hektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud of

Hektor's Tacoma Gallery
None RAZR MAXX FTW!!!!!
Old 07-26-2012, 02:42 AM   #4
07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
07trd4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I had the iPhone and went to the galaxy 2s because I didn't want to spend 500 on another iPhone since the 5 is coming out soon.

Honesty I am completely happy with my choice, the 3s will be that much better too
Old 07-26-2012, 04:10 AM   #5
trd sport is on a distinguished road
trd sport's Tacoma Gallery
Go with the galaxy, why would you want to go with old technology with the I phone 4s that is 3G.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:29 AM   #6
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
friend of mine just got the galaxy s3. thing is a beast. his is sprint and runs on 4g lte.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #7
GuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shed
I would get a crappy phone for the time being, But the problem is that there is a upgrade fee and "eligibility" time period which will then make me pay full price (~$500) to upgrade unless I had the shitty phone for a year.

I tried upgrading when the 4S came out and found this little flaw .

So it's Galaxy S3 for a year or iPhone 4s for a year because I'm not really willing to spend $500+ on a phone in 3 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektor View Post
None RAZR MAXX FTW!!!!!
Not available on AT&T... I like Verizon but don't like their prices (and have another year's contract AT&T)
Old 07-26-2012, 11:57 AM   #8
SuperTacoma will become famous soon enoughSuperTacoma will become famous soon enough

Name: Clint
SuperTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I just went from the Iphone 4 to the GSIII.
I love it so far. I will admit the IPhone is a lot easier to use but come on 3.5" screen compared to the 4.8". Rumors have IPhone 5 going to 4" screen. Just my thoughts.
I don't regret switching. I did regret switching from IPhone 3G to Atrix so I went back to IPhone 4.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:04 PM   #9
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ross123 View Post
Get a free phone till the iPhone 5 comes out

This
Old 07-26-2012, 12:13 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTacoma View Post
I just went from the Iphone 4 to the GSIII.
I love it so far. I will admit the IPhone is a lot easier to use but come on 3.5" screen compared to the 4.8". Rumors have IPhone 5 going to 4" screen. Just my thoughts.
I don't regret switching. I did regret switching from IPhone 3G to Atrix so I went back to IPhone 4.
Your right, I found the first article and "pictures" of the Iphone 5 as I was hunting for comparisons for the Iphone 4s and GSIII... The 5 has a slightly bigger screen, looked thinner and has a 12megapixel camera. I'll keep looking for it.

EDIT: Nevermind, It's a rendition of what they THINK it'll look like given the specs that were released on the phone

http://versusio.com/en/apple-iphone-...iphone-4s-64gb

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4daddy View Post
This
If I get a free phone now, I'll have to pay $500+ on a Iphone 5 in 3 months due to AT&T's upgrade plan.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:13 PM   #11
Yotas For Life!
06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
06RedComa's Tacoma Gallery
I have the original galaxy s and love it. Swipe texting is probably my favorite feature and all I phone users tell me they wish they had it when they see me use it. Also the durability is amazing, 3 drops on to concrete, 2 into creeks, and still looks and works like the first day I got it. Only downside is I can't get instagram for some reason lol and I'm not apart of the apple network.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:23 PM   #12
speedjunkie13 is a glorious beacon of lightspeedjunkie13 is a glorious beacon of lightspeedjunkie13 is a glorious beacon of lightspeedjunkie13 is a glorious beacon of lightspeedjunkie13 is a glorious beacon of light
speedjunkie13's Tacoma Gallery
I happened to pick up the Samsung S3 the day it came out for verizon. I previously had a droid X for 2 years. The galaxy is very smooth and fast. I didn't really care at first about the gimmicky extras, but a few are kind of nice to have. One thing to consider is the size, it is very wide which makes it awkward at times using one hand. The good thing is it is extremely thin, so it slips right into a pocket and you barely know it's there.

I will admit i have never had an apple, but i'm sure it would be more user friendly. the android platform takes getting used to, but i like it.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:05 PM   #13
Thanks folks... I ended up with the Galaxy S3. So far i'm loving it.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:12 PM   #15
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Should have went 4s .
Old 07-26-2012, 05:20 PM   #16
I really had to think hard about it as I walked back and fourth from the display models... My biggest complaint about the S3 is that compared to the 4S, It feels cheap... But a relatively thick case fixed the way it feels in my hand.

The galaxy is faster, Real 4G (4S= latest 3G), bigger screen, more battery life, better camera options (i'm loving the HDR and panoramic setting)... While apple does have more apps, Better camera and better physical quality. In the end, I was sold on the Galaxy because it's fresh technology, S-Voice is activated if I say "Hi galaxy" and I already have an iTouch.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:58 PM   #17
2 4 LIFE!!!
TuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Taylor
TuFerLife's Tacoma Gallery
I am a manager at at&t and my suggestion would have been to buy a gophone for 2 months... iPhone 5 is rumored to be out Sept 21st, with the announcement coming on Sept 12th, but that's just my .02...

And there isn't an eligiblity time period, once you become eligible you are eligible until you actually process that upgrade... But we do sell a lot of the SIII, hope you like it man...
Old 07-30-2012, 04:00 PM   #18
I need to go return some videotapes...
Seabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bloodshart
Seabass's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektor View Post
None RAZR MAXX FTW!!!!!
Yup. Great phone.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:15 PM   #19
B1SLYFOX is a jewel in the roughB1SLYFOX is a jewel in the roughB1SLYFOX is a jewel in the rough

Name: Brandon
B1SLYFOX's Tacoma Gallery
Id try and wait for the iPhone 5. I work in IT and constantly have to replace Droid based phones due to hardware failure hardly ever an iPhone. So if you prefer to stay out of the cell phone store go iPhone.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:29 PM   #20
I need to go return some videotapes...
Seabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bloodshart
Seabass's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1SLYFOX View Post
Id try and wait for the iPhone 5. I work in IT and constantly have to replace Droid based phones due to hardware failure hardly ever an iPhone. So if you prefer to stay out of the cell phone store go iPhone.
Poor users, or shitty phones IMO. Never had a Motorola android-based phone fail me at all. Now, a Billy-Bob's knock-off Nokia wanna-be phone... that's a different story. iPhone is solid, but it's meant for chicks who don't know how to adjust anything on their phones. Too simple for me.