Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

House hunting, issues to look for? Crack in ceiling

Old 07-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #1
DCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines:
DCGirl's Tacoma Gallery
House hunting, issues to look for? Crack in ceiling

Considering a house built in 1940's, stucco on exterior and shingles on roof. Noticed two of these cracks in living room area. Are they from contraction and expansion over the years or could this be a more serious problem??
Attached Thumbnails
House hunting, issues to look for? Crack in ceiling-2012-07-25_15-13-54_548.jpg  
Old 07-26-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
I am an asshole, deal with it!
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
Name: Turd Furgison
extremachn1's Tacoma Gallery
That looks like a drywall joint. It could be from shoddy workmanship or also due to shrinkage.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:04 AM   #3
mak90 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmak90 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmak90 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmak90 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmak90 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmak90 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmak90 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmak90 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmak90 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmak90 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmak90 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mak90's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremachn1 View Post
That looks like a drywall joint. It could be from shoddy workmanship or also due to shrinkage.
x2
Old 07-26-2012, 11:05 AM   #4
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
Looks to me like where the drywall is mudded/taped since its in a straight line. Just an opinion though, not an expert
Old 07-26-2012, 11:09 AM   #5
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
To me it looks like a pretty straight line. Is it drywall or plaster over slats? If it's drywall it looks like the a crack at the seam of the drywall and the edges weren't screwed/nailed to a joist. Ifyou have access to above it put in a 2x4 and drywall screw the edges to it then scrape the tape and mud off of it and retape/mud it.

I wouldn't be too concerned about it, my house was built in '77 and after we scraped the popcorn off we noticed a few spots where the seams meet up but there wasn't anything behind it to support the seam. We are putting some 2x4's behind it and screwing the drywall to it then tape/mud
Old 07-26-2012, 11:36 AM   #6
DCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines:
DCGirl's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the replies guys, makes me feel a lot better on putting an offer in.

Forerunner, looks like it is drywall.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:28 PM   #7
obscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud of
obscurotron's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCGirl View Post
Thanks for the replies guys, makes me feel a lot better on putting an offer in.

Forerunner, looks like it is drywall.
Could be. Could not be. My house, built in the 50's, is plaster over drywall (it's the type drywall/gypsum board with holes in it for plaster adherence). I have similar cracks/seams in mine and I just don't worry about it right now.

Plaster walls are a love/hate thing. Mostly hate, in my case.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:55 PM   #8
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by obscurotron View Post
Could be. Could not be. My house, built in the 50's, is plaster over drywall (it's the type drywall/gypsum board with holes in it for plaster adherence). I have similar cracks/seams in mine and I just don't worry about it right now.

Plaster walls are a love/hate thing. Mostly hate, in my case.
Yeah, try a 1906 house with horsehair plaster. That crap is awful to work with! Pretty much anything having to do with an older house and plaster will be a PITA.

DCGirl, given that it's a nice, straight line it just looks like a taping joint. It's easy and cheap to fix.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:00 PM   #9
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This
Old 07-26-2012, 03:24 PM   #10
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx View Post
the best advice i can give you is to hire a home inspector, but not one that belongs to a nationwide franchise. most of these fools dont know crap because very minimum training is required. find one that has his own business and you will have much better luck....trust me, been there, done that
Find an independent guy w/a license who is not afraid to you under your home, not just poke his head under the crawl space access and shine a flashlight and say everything is ok. Same w/the attic. Make sure he goes up in the attic and looks around thoroughly. Also go through the house yourself and write down any concerns you may have and bring them to his attention.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:25 PM   #11
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
This
agree.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:40 PM   #12
7.62x63mm
goufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NAVAIR
Name: Michael
goufcustom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCGirl View Post
Considering a house built in 1940's, stucco on exterior and shingles on roof. Noticed two of these cracks in living room area. Are they from contraction and expansion over the years or could this be a more serious problem??
First or Second Floor? Considering the house is 72 years old it is not even slightly surprising, I wouldn't personally be concerned. My house is 3 years old, bought it new, and I can show you cracks about 1/2 that size, houses settle. That may be a crack from settling, and no one ever bothered to fix it, most people never paint the ceiling, and the owners probably just ignore it.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:44 PM   #13
Cypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 2A773 Retired
Cypherian's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx View Post
the best advice i can give you is to hire a home inspector, but not one that belongs to a nationwide franchise. most of these fools dont know crap because very minimum training is required. find one that has his own business and you will have much better luck....trust me, been there, done that
This but ensure he is Lic, bonded and insurred. You may want to talk to some of the neighbors if they are old enough they can tell you prob what what has been done to the house.

Cypher
Old 07-26-2012, 03:55 PM   #15
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfsupl View Post
Find an independent guy w/a license who is not afraid to you under your home, not just poke his head under the crawl space access and shine a flashlight and say everything is ok. Same w/the attic. Make sure he goes up in the attic and looks around thoroughly. Also go through the house yourself and write down any concerns you may have and bring them to his attention.
^^^^^This do not just go with who the seller or listing peeps sends, guess who they are looking out for,,,Also there should be some $ to fix things 1 TO 3 % of the selling price,Thing's that bug you get them fixed before you move in... Jim
Old 07-26-2012, 03:58 PM   #16
7.62x63mm
goufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by river rat 69 View Post
^^^^^This do not just go with who the seller or listing peeps sends, guess who they are looking out for,,,Also there should be some $ to fix things 1 TO 3 % of the selling price,Thing's that bug you get them fixed before you move in... Jim
Good luck in this market getting the seller to fix anything, maybe 10 years ago this was normal, but in the current market, owners want to do zero things to the house, it is a shame. Seems like most things are "as-is"... Unless they are a safety hazard.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:35 PM   #17
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
In a good market If no fix up beans ,,,, move on to the next house!!!
Old 07-26-2012, 04:38 PM   #18
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
It's a drywall crack in a 70 year old house .

Rescrew , tape , mud , sand , prime , paint
Old 07-26-2012, 04:45 PM   #19
Reads more than posts
sofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
sofiasdad11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

^^^^this. almost simply a drywall joint going thru natural contraction/expansion............although i have seen a case where the crack was later determined to be a leak in the 2nd floor toilet seal, requiring replacement of the insulation and drywall, not to mention the possible mold remediation and all that entails...............
Old 07-26-2012, 04:50 PM   #20
7.62x63mm

Quote:

^^^^ THIS, no one is going to give you a 1-3% Discount because of it, it is a $10 fix if you do it yourself.

Most houses for sale are foreclosed, bank owned, bankrupt or an their way to that, so the owners just want to run away.

I have seen so many homes with pools that look like they were filled with dog poop, dead rats/mice, water leaks all over because of frozen pipes, mold, broken windows, holes in the wall, missing railings, etc, and it is normal in this market, and no one is going to fix it for you. I cant get a loan from Navy Fed because they wont give loans on houses that need repairs, if it isnt "live in ready" they wont close on the house with you, it sucks, and banks and owners wont fix things to help with this, and no one will let you go in and fix it at your risk because they are liable while you are in the house.