Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Is this a known Craigslist scam?

Old 07-28-2012, 07:39 PM   #22
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by river rat 69 View Post
Or Mississippi
... ...
Old 07-28-2012, 09:04 PM   #23
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

stewartx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post
I would never follow up with anyone who says "I will buy the item." It's generic for a reason. If you don't reference what I'm selling, I assume you're a scammer.
Okay, prior to our comments, there were three references to "the item" or "an item" or just "item" in this very thread. Certainly not hard to find the word "item" in the classified section of this forum either ("is the item still available," "will you ship the item to," etc). Why repeat the name of the item when it's right in the very title of the email or thread?

Quote:
Same for emails that are simply "you still have this?" If you're not emailing me to either ask specific questions about it, ask to see it or tell me you'll buy it, I'll assume you're an idiot and you'll be ignored. I probably miss out on some sales but it's worth it to me to skim off the tire kickers.
Good grief. With an attitude like that, I suspect most would be far better off doing the transaction with someone else anyway. You must be truly hell to deal with when there's a problem or conflict.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:19 PM   #24
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartx View Post
Okay, prior to our comments, there were three references to "the item" or "an item" or just "item" in this very thread. Certainly not hard to find the word "item" in the classified section of this forum either ("is the item still available," "will you ship the item to," etc). Why repeat the name of the item when it's right in the very title of the email or thread?
If a giant rambling paragraph that is 100% generic and could be used for each and every CL post doesn't throw a red flag, then you must not live in the real world.

Quote:
Good grief. With an attitude like that, I suspect most would be far better off doing the transaction with someone else anyway. You must be truly hell to deal with when there's a problem or conflict.
Actually I'm great to deal with, and rarely if ever have problems with online dealings, largely because I'm pretty dismissive of potential buyers who aren't interested enough to do more than to waste time with statements like "You still have this?"

I would like for to purchase your very fine item. I will pay for you $50 more than your asking due to condition. You must only make one payment to me one time in advance for the shipping and I will return $100 after the item is item.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:20 PM   #25
ppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phuong
ppham444's Tacoma Gallery
If you can't meet the person face-to-face, it's a scam!
Old 07-28-2012, 09:31 PM   #26
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird View Post
I'm selling a truck shell on Craigslist and got this email. He first asked if
the item was still available. I replied it is. He replied with this below.

Is this a scam...or a way to front my home?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your response,Am comfortable with the condition of the item am willing to add $50 plus your asking price for you to hold this item for me because am very interested in buying it from you,i must let you understand am a busy person I own my business and i resume at office 7:45am to 6pm,i will be unable to come and look at it,i would appreciate if you can send the me recent picture apart from the one on Craigslist and if not no problem just want to know the condition. I would make payment by Bank Certified Check which you can cash at your bank,i would appreciate if you can send me the details to mail out the check to you,It will only take 2 business days for you to receive the payment after i receive the details from you,After you receive payment and cash it t your bank,then i will arrange for the pickup because i have my Private Mover that will handle the pickup,they will be coming down for the pickup at your location.Once again i will make payment by Bank Certified check which i will instruct my account manager to get this sent over.Please provide me with your full Name,Address and your cell Phone number where you want the payment to be mailed out to.After i receive the details from you,i will give you a call to confirm the details,Please take the ads off Craigslist and consider it sold to me.Your response will be appreciated

Best Regards
It has to be a scam because the dude can't speak and write English.

I don't quite understand how he's going to make money though. Does the check bounce and then they have the merchandise to resell? Seems like a bunch of hassle.

Usually don't they try to get you to cash a check for more than you're asking and then send them the difference?
Old 07-28-2012, 09:32 PM   #27
Tbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
Tbird's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys.

I replied...a string-a-long kind of reply...telling him great to have him buy my "item". Told him to call the number in the add...and that the payment will be sent to my work address...and the item picked up from there too. Doubt I'll hear from him again.

Douch!
Old 07-28-2012, 09:36 PM   #28
Somebody call for a Wambulance?
Mitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Mitch
Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
I told my "scam" that I only deal with USD cash. Never accept a personal check
Old 07-28-2012, 09:44 PM   #29
I owe it all to little chocolate donuts
JayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JayDirt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rev25sharp View Post
play along... tell him your name is Ben Dover and make up an address
I totally agree. See where it leads, have fun with it. Please post responses from buyer...could get interesting!
Old 07-28-2012, 09:44 PM   #30
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sound familiar? Lol.

http://ivebeenmugged.typepad.com/my_...heck-scam.html

I can't believe some people don't see this coming a million miles away. Think of all the poor older folks who fall for this crap. It's sad to think about.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:55 PM   #31
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

stewartx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post
If a giant rambling paragraph that is 100% generic and could be used for each and every CL post doesn't throw a red flag, then you must not live in the real world.
I'm just not going to automatically assume it's scam. I own a business. Customers ramble, ask silly questions, have odd requests, and so on. I don't automatically assume those are scams either.

Quote:
Actually I'm great to deal with, and rarely if ever have problems with online dealings, largely because I'm pretty dismissive of potential buyers who aren't interested enough to do more than to waste time with statements like "You still have this?" (snip)
This is getting off the subject (scams), but, if they're not permitted to ask if you still have something, how are they supposed to know for certain if you still do? Just look through the classified ads on this forum at how many have asked that very question ("is it still available"), to only then be told it's not. You talk about wasting time. Just how long does it take to type "yes" or "no," along with hitting the send button?

Anyway, I just didn't realize there are rules on what can or cannot be said or asked - or potentially be deemed an idiot. I'd be out of business real quick if I handled customers like that.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:02 PM   #32
STOCKTRD is a name known to allSTOCKTRD is a name known to allSTOCKTRD is a name known to allSTOCKTRD is a name known to allSTOCKTRD is a name known to allSTOCKTRD is a name known to all
STOCKTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, Its a scam. Ive had this happen to me when I was selling some furniture on Craigslist. But, heres what I did. I emailed the "scammer" back and asked them to call me at home to go over the details of the transaction. But, instead of giving them my home number I gave the number to the local FBI office. They never did email me back.

One thing that throws up the red flag is they keep referring to what your selling as an "item" and not using its specific name, i.e. camper shell.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:05 PM   #33

Quote:
I'm just not going to automatically assume it's scam. I own a business. Customers ramble, ask silly questions, have odd requests, and so on. I don't automatically assume those are scams either.
Really? If you got the response the OP got you wouldn't know it was a scam?? You might want to check out the link I posted if you rely on this sort of thing to pay the bills...migh save you some headache.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:09 PM   #34
RadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant future

Name: Chris
RadSurfTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I do tons of transactions on CL and eBay. There are sooo many scammers it's ridiculous. I get those stupid 'out of town' messages all the time and you see other regulars post 'no out of town offers, we meet in person and bring cash.'

Between the scammers and flakes many people just give up on CL, however, it still is a really really good way to sell stuff locally. I just sold a ton of stuff sitting in my garage that I could not have sold any other way (I would have ended up donating all of it). I also do a lot of barters. You will be amazed at what you have lying around and what people will offer you that you can actually use. Also, it's a great way to barter for services, right now I got a great barter going for a bunch of stuff I need to get rid of for house painting. Saving me a ton of money out of pocket, getting rid of a lot of crap AND helping a painter that didn't have any jobs for a couple days...awesome.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:09 PM   #35
Cypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 2A773 Retired
Cypherian's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams
Old 07-28-2012, 10:52 PM   #36
Schwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jamie
Schwinn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Oh my god, I just had a 10 year old kid call me about my craigslist add and prank me. WHAT THE FUCK IS UP WITH TODAY'S YOUTH
I had that once, except the kept calling back, , and my oldest was a baby. After the fourth call, I hit *69 and got the number. They made their little sister answer, and I asked to speak to her dad. I could hear the older ones coaching her, so I said, "Listen, if I don't talk to your daddy, I'm calling the police because you guys are prank calling me." "The pah-LICE??" "That's right." "Will we go to jail?" "You might, so you better let me talk to your daddy!" *phone drops* "DADDY!" I told him that his girls were pranking me, and I knew it was kids being kids, but I had already gotten four calls in 10 minutes, and I had a sleeping baby. He was pissed. I tried to pass it off as not a big deal, again, it just looked like this was going to be the evening entertainment. Just before he hung up, I said, "You might also want to tell them to use #67 before calling, so your number doesn't show up"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spares View Post
I have worked at a bank and caught a few of these "bank certified cheques" (call them bank drafts here) They're actually quite similar to the real thing, they're hoping you cash it and no one catches it, by the time it bounces back your vehicle has been picked up.

Like was said before, deal in cash its a scam
Most of the major banks in Canada just give money orders for less than $1000 or drafts for over $1000 if a certified cheque is requested. As a matter of fact, if you ask for a certified cheque, usually you'll get charged the cert cheque price, but given a draft because it is less processing. And now days, cert cheque means nothing as theu are being forged at a high rate so banks are holding them anyway. (former senior account manager, married to a bank manager).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird View Post
Thanks guys.

I replied...a string-a-long kind of reply...telling him great to have him buy my "item". Told him to call the number in the add...and that the payment will be sent to my work address...and the item picked up from there too. Doubt I'll hear from him again.

Douch!
That's awesome. Tell him he doesn't need to call, send the draft. Then in a week or two, when he e-mails you to ask if you got it, say no, even if you have. Ask him to send another one. Keep this up for a bit, then send a picture back of your junk, with a note "Scammers suck". Or just keep giving him different addresses, except pretend you keep giving him the same one. "Where'd you send it? What? No, you're supposed to send it to" and give him another address. Eventually, he'll give up. In the meantime, those fake drafts still cost money to make and mail. There's a whole website I'll try to find where someone has made a hobby of pissing off the scammers.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:54 PM   #37
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Broken English? Check
Bank check? Check
Unable to meet in person? Check
Deployed military? Clear
Sick child? Clear
"Agent" will meet? Clear
Shipping company? Check

Yup... it's a scam.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:19 AM   #38
Schwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jamie
Schwinn's Tacoma Gallery
Couldn't find the "Garden Wolf" story, but here's an internet legend about someone getting a scammer with a Powerbook.
http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/

And another site:
http://www.419eater.com/
Old 07-29-2012, 11:04 AM   #39
RadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant future

Name: Chris
RadSurfTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Broken English? Check
Bank check? Check
Unable to meet in person? Check
Deployed military? Clear
Sick child? Clear
"Agent" will meet? Clear
Shipping company? Check

Yup... it's a scam.