LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Amway-Seminar-Scam

Old 07-30-2012, 07:45 PM   #1
jeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief 62 AMXS
Name: Drew
jeckel7234's Tacoma Gallery
Amway-Seminar-Scam

I just meet this guy a few days ago and he seemed like an overall really good person hard working good ethics etc, but anyways he invited my wife and I to this "type of business meeting" so we went it ended up being a seminar trying to get people to market their online business, in my opinion very similar to avon. Does anybody have any expierience with these my wife thinks its not a bad idea im just very stand offish and am worried about getting screwed out of time and money
Old 07-30-2012, 07:52 PM   #2
40 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeckel7234 View Post
I just meet this guy a few days ago and he seemed like an overall really good person hard working good ethics etc, but anyways he invited my wife and I to this "type of business meeting" so we went it ended up being a seminar trying to get people to market their online business, in my opinion very similar to avon. Does anybody have any expierience with these my wife thinks its not a bad idea im just very stand offish and am worried about getting screwed out of time and money
That's what they do. Act real nice and friendly.

RUN RUN away. It's more then likely a pyramid scheme.
You going t have to go find your own suckers. They found you.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:54 PM   #4
mechanically retarded
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
my friend got sucked into a pyramid scheme, did not end well.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:05 PM   #5
swimmer1 is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: Helicopter Rescue Swimmer
swimmer1's Tacoma Gallery
Amway is a Scam!!

Don't do it! I have first hand experience with amway and it was not good! lost a bunch of money and they hounded me forever! Avoid hem at all costs, anyone who actually has a positive experience with them must have also won the lottery! Please learn from my mistake!!!
Old 07-30-2012, 08:07 PM   #6
Faster than a speeding ticket
Watari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Watari06V6's Tacoma Gallery
Amway circulates money among it's members and not creating wealth IMO
Old 07-30-2012, 08:07 PM   #7
swimmer1 is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: Helicopter Rescue Swimmer
swimmer1's Tacoma Gallery
Amway is a Scam2

I think they are the "Ancient Aliens" because they invented the pyramid!! Although they claim it's not one.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:03 PM   #8
Oh gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!
AvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
AvsFanTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Just met with a friend who tried to sell me on becoming my own Independent Business Owner for Amway. Listened to his sales pitch, asked my questions and just did a bunch of research about Amway. It seems like a pyramid scheme to me.

Amway lost a class action lawsuit in 2010 against their own IBO's who were suing over Amway being a pyramid scheme. They paid a $150 million settlement.

The hardest part to believe is that you only have to put in no more than 15hr/week and can be making a 6 figure income in a short time. From what I read 99% of people involved fail and they ones in the "upline" make all their money by selling "tools" (cd's, books, seminars) that don't actually help you do anything.

Save your money and avoid this scam.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:36 PM   #9
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Amway can and does work for some people.

If you are the kind of person who can be successful in real estate, or outside sales in a tough market, then yes... you can make a LOT of money working for Amway.

Most people going to the seminars are not these type-A sales people and the experience will amount to nothing more than a risky tax deduction.

It is, and isn't a pyramid scheme.
Each person does get a cut of the profit from each step in their upline.
That is why they try to drag everyone they can to the seminars. 100 poor performers can make just as much money for an upline as 5 good performers.

What keeps it from being a pyramid scheme is that when the individual salesperson reaches a specific sales level, they break off from their upline and become a direct distributor.... effectively becoming the top level in a new pyramid.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:54 PM   #10
junkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant future
Name: Erik
junkman's Tacoma Gallery
The only people that make money at amway are those that can make amway their entire life. To be successful, you must have one interest only, and that is signing up other amway distributors.

They try to claim that all you have to do is buy stuff you buy already, and buy it from amway and you save money. The draw is that if you can just buy your the stuff you buy now and save money, then why wouldn't you do it? And why wouldn't all your friends and relatives as well? And then why wouldn't everyone you meet?

Unfortunately, you really can't save money buying the stuff you buy now, unless you are a terrible shopper. And from what I saw, the selection of products was limited and in the end, it is not really very appealing to buy everything that way - so it is hard to get other people to sign up to do it.

There is a lot of time and effort involved, and little payback unless you convince a bunch of people to follow you in this unappealing business.

Some people can do that, but if you are that type of person, you can do any sales business and be successful, so why would you do Amway?
Old 12-09-2012, 07:34 AM   #11
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Amway can and does work for some people.

If you are the kind of person who can be successful in real estate, or outside sales in a tough market, then yes... you can make a LOT of money working for Amway.

Most people going to the seminars are not these type-A sales people and the experience will amount to nothing more than a risky tax deduction.

It is, and isn't a pyramid scheme.
Each person does get a cut of the profit from each step in their upline.
That is why they try to drag everyone they can to the seminars. 100 poor performers can make just as much money for an upline as 5 good performers.

What keeps it from being a pyramid scheme is that when the individual salesperson reaches a specific sales level, they break off from their upline and become a direct distributor.... effectively becoming the top level in a new pyramid.
This. It is technically a multi-level marketing and not a pyramid scheme. Plus in order for the top of the market level to make any money, those below them have to actually sell something. I think most people go into it with a pyramid style hope that they'll make a ton of money by doing nothing but it won't work that way.

Like Rich says you have to have the right personality to do it. If you're going to sell their product, you'll need to be a good door-to-door salesman type. I didn't so it didn't work out for me. My only cash input was buying the initial demo packet which contains actual product for you to sample.

They actually do make their own products and they have partnerships with a bunch of different companies. My father actually worked for the headquarters plant in Ada Michigan back in the 1970s.

It's a very successful company that has been around for a long time.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:41 AM   #12
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
This. It is technically a multi-level marketing and not a pyramid scheme. Plus in order for the top of the market level to make any money, those below them have to actually sell something. I think most people go into it with a pyramid style hope that they'll make a ton of money by doing nothing but it won't work that way.

Like Rich says you have to have the right personality to do it. If you're going to sell their product, you'll need to be a good door-to-door salesman type. I didn't so it didn't work out for me. My only cash input was buying the initial demo packet which contains actual product for you to sample.

They actually do make their own products and they have partnerships with a bunch of different companies. My father actually worked for the headquarters plant in Ada Michigan back in the 1970s.

It's a very successful company that has been around for a long time.
THIS ...

Multi-Level Marketing is not a pyramid. The money comes from the sales of products, not from investing or signing up. The corporation pays a bonus that increases as more people join after you, from your efforts or your team's efforts. It is a reward system. People you have signed up can 'break-away' from your team if they do better than you... In a pyramid, that is not the case.

Now, the products are pricey, but often are superior to store-bought brands, and so may be cheaper to use, ie. concentrated, use smaller amounts, etc.

Since Multi-Level companies like Amway, Melaleuca, etc. do not spend billions in advertising like the store sold brands, that money goes into product quality and paying bonuses to their independent distributors.

It may be possible to do well just by buying those products from yourself and not at the market, and signing up ('sponsoring') lots of other people who also just replace the store brands with their brand... and they each do the same... What this means is no door to door sales (who has time for that?) to strangers.

I have not seen an Amway or other multi-level presentation of many years, but was involved with Amway from 1980 for a few years and then with Melaleuca Inc. starting about 1986 for about 8 years. Signed up a few friends and nothing dynamic happened... eventually people go back to buying from the market as it is easier than calling in or placing an order and waiting a week to a month until the next order. However, some products are so good, you just want to get them. So, I call a friend who is still in Melaleuca and place an order every few months for the special things (shampoo, soap, first aid gel) I like from Melaleuca. Amway made a great car wash, and a cap of the stuff makes a bucket of foaming wash... so a quart bottle of the stuff last for years.

Many people do great and make real money at Multi-Level marketing, but it does take a real outgoing personality and a lot of effort... it is not for everyone... but it is not a scheme or illegal... and having been there, but not any longer, I thought I would add the above.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:54 AM   #13
1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future

1stacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Amway started in the later 50's in my opinion all those types of businesses are scams and only designed to make the top wealthy. I have a friend that has bounced from one scheme to another he has for the past 20 years tried to get me involved. He lives with his parents and his next million is always right around the corner. lol

Don't walk RUN.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:30 AM   #14
george2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: BIG G
george2pak's Tacoma Gallery
Amway it's Not a scam!

Amway it's franchise busines like any other business. The problema is that in todays economy it's hard to make it . The good part is that the investment it's small compared with the other franchise and the profit can be big . You have to be honest and work very hard to have success.