1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

tasco worldclass rifle scope

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by tacomaman06, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Sep 6, 2007 at 4:04 PM
    ZonKs

ZonKs Can speak french in Russian.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sport DCSB 4x4
    =p
    Only difference is the thickness of the case and the ogive (somewhat). You can shoot .223 in a rifle chambered for 5.56, but not vice versa.

Play it safe and go for the .223 wylde.

K31's are also incredibly cheap and accurate rifles for fairly long range. However, the 7.5 Swiss makes up for the difference in $$.

Also 6.5 Grendel is pretty popular with the long range guys, if you are thinking about custom chambering.

2. Sep 6, 2007 at 4:36 PM
    ZonKs

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sport DCSB 4x4
    =p
    Im not ghostsix, but ill take a crack at some of you questions. Of course all of this depends on what you want to shoot, Highpower? F class?, etc. I would start with a blueprinted remington 700 action only. Dont bother buying a complete rifle, you will simply end up replacing everything anyway. You have many, many choices on barrels -- Shilen, Kreiger, Hart, on an on ($400-500). There is only one option for stocks in my humble opinion -- McMillan ($~500-600). Jewel triggers are top notch, as are timiny's ($250-300). Rings and base, go with Badger ordinance ($150 + $150). Scope -- Leupold for life -- which model is up to you, but remember, get a scope that matches the quality of your rifle. Im a big fan of the MK4 series ($1,200 - 1,400). Then you need to factor in the build by a reputable gunsmith. There are some real famous guys such as Georgia Precision and then there are always some fantastic local guys who run by word of mouth -- out here there is R&D Precision -- the guy is a wizard.

Ted

3. Sep 6, 2007 at 6:02 PM
    stratton

stratton Well-Known Member

Member:
    Of course the shot should be a suprise when it goes off. but a lighter trigger pull makes this happen. if you have to somewhat struggle with a stiff pull then the gun might move a little. its a big difference beyond 200 hards.

4. Sep 6, 2007 at 6:13 PM
    TACOMATruckin98

TACOMATruckin98 Carolina Alliance

Member:
    hey, ndcouch, just noticed you live in greenville, where you go shooting?

5. Sep 7, 2007 at 8:22 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    Zonks: Thanks for the response, i dont know that i'm willing to go that far with my budget just yet though.

Tacomatruckin98: My dad and some friends have formed a "shooting club" and we currently have about 350 acres where we shoot and hunt. Unfortunately i think my dad is leaving. He's a big hunter (i pretty much just target shoot) and he's tired of paying for land that he considers "hunted out". The land is out past Moonville, not exactly sure what county its in... bout a 45 minute drive from Greenville.

Lately i have been shooting at a friend parents house. My best friend has parents that live out in the boondocks in the Laurens in the Grey Court area. Although pretty soon i may be looking for someplace else. Where in SC do you live 98?

6. Sep 7, 2007 at 1:52 PM
    TACOMATruckin98

Member:
    i live in mauldin, i go sometimes to the belton gun club with my g/f's step dad, just shot my new .223 yesterday there, pretty accurate, couple dead on bullseyes with nothing but a bench to rest on, no bags or anything, pretty happy with it for a 230 dollar rifle

7. Sep 7, 2007 at 2:58 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 [OP] Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....

hey, my dad lives on terrain drive, right close to donaldson center and bonnie brae. i'll be heading that way to visit him in the next couple of weeks......maybe u, me and couch can get up for some beers, and food. you ever eat at the olive tree in mauldin........now thats some good food!!! my wife and me eat there all the time when we come to g-ville.

8. Sep 7, 2007 at 3:05 PM
    ZonKs

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sport DCSB 4x4
    =p
    yeah. competitive shooting is almost as expensive a hobby as trucks.

I have $3000.00 into my rem 700 and I still need a new barrel and trigger guard.

Ted
    _________

9. Sep 7, 2007 at 9:09 PM
    TACOMATruckin98

Member:
    oh yeah, olive tree is the best, i may take you up on the food, but, no beers for the underage, haha

10. Sep 8, 2007 at 6:28 AM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....

ah, i wasnt thinking. oh well, you can still eat good though!!

11. Sep 10, 2007 at 1:01 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    Tacomaman and tacomatruckin: I'll tell ya where we need to go, we need to go to Barelys downtown. upstairs is a taproom with about 30 beers on tap, all of it is microbrewed and awesome. if you order a bud light they just look at you. Downstairs is also a taproom but its a bitchin pizza joint too. They make some really good pies and they have somewhere around 40 or 50 beers on tap down there, and you dont have to be 21 to get in. Tacomaman, when you come to town let me know, we can hit up barelys with truckin and have some good beer and pizza. they also have a beefalo burger... which is amazing... it makes beef taste like dogfood ( no offence themaster :))

BTW, Will, sorry for not hitting you up saturday, i was busy trying not to throw up, plus my gf was being a pain in the ass (which is unusual for her) and i just wanted to leave so we headed back as early as possible. Seriously though, now that you have my number give me a call when you head down here to see your dad. We'll hit up tacomatruckin and hang out.

12. Sep 10, 2007 at 1:04 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    Oh and truckin98, if you live in SC you really should be in the Carolina Alliance. Just PM tcBob and ask him to change the title under your handle to Carolina Alliance (or something with those words in it). If you don't Tacomaman and i will not be able to discuss Alliance secrets in your pressence :)

13. Sep 10, 2007 at 2:39 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....

its cool man. i had a little hangover, but i worked on my buddys truck for him for most of the day on saturday. im gonna try to make it up there in the next few weeks..........and hell yeah, beer and pizza sound real good bro:hungry:!!!

14. Sep 11, 2007 at 8:07 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    dude you need to hurry up and get your redneck ass down here. now that i've mentioned barleys thats all i can think about. What kind of beer do you fancy? if i'm getting drunk anythng 'lite' will do, bud light, miller light whatever, it all tastes the same. If i'm drinking socially or with dinner i usually like some darker stuff. newcastle, cream stouts, oatmeal stouts, hobgoblin etc... whats your poinson?

15. Sep 26, 2007 at 3:20 PM
    danusa

danusa Well-Known Member

Member:
    I would start with a Mauser 1898 action and go from there.
    They are still made.

16. Sep 26, 2007 at 6:05 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....

well dude......i used to drink nothing but icehouse and budweiser. nowadays........man,im all about some mexican beer!! corona, tecate, dos equis, negra modelo, sol, cantina......you name it,i'll drink it........and i mean lots of it!! also, im really liking the new miller chill also..........very good stuff. i'll put down 12 in about an hour............then its on to my moonshine! bro, just wait till i get some newe peach shine and some apple jack and apple pie from my buddy......good stuff! im coming that way soon, we gotta eat at barelys! i'll be bringing my wifey too though. she can dd!!

17. Sep 28, 2007 at 2:31 AM
    danusa

danusa Well-Known Member

Member:
    A guy could spend a lot of time on this. Your advice is good as far as it goes.
    In the last 60 yrs. I have accepeted some changes. I prefer the controlled feed and big extractor of the 1898 Mauser, or pre `64 Win. Mod 70.
    I would just start with an action and build it from there.
    Kimber can sell you a good one canned.
    I like set and double triggers. Hamilton`s did not serve him well. Cheaters never prosper.
    I never liked him anyway.
    Keep your finger out of the trigger guard until you intend to shoot. THEN SHOOT.

18. Sep 28, 2007 at 2:56 AM
    danusa

danusa Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have used them in .32/40,30.30/30, 45/70 and .444.
    1894 Marlins of course. The 1892 and 1886 Win.will take the pressure.
    But they are a pain to put back together, You can take anything apart.
    This round deserves a scope. It will reach 250 yds. with no problem. And my eyes are only 20/20 corrected now.
    The 1x5 Leopold is hard to beat.
    With both eyes open you have binocular vision.
    Just a view from my saddle which needs work.

Products Discussed in

To Top