LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Lack of civility

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 11:48 AM   #1
Banned
SlamFire is a splendid one to beholdSlamFire is a splendid one to beholdSlamFire is a splendid one to beholdSlamFire is a splendid one to beholdSlamFire is a splendid one to beholdSlamFire is a splendid one to behold

SlamFire's Tacoma Gallery
Lack of civility

I see a thread that was pretty popular yesterday has been closed. Please, Mods, I am not attempting to open it back up. Heaven forbid we have to live through that crap storm again.

What is it? The anonymity of online forums? The contentiousness of this age? What causes this complete breakdown in civility?

Some of you: Suppose you you were making an insulting, disrespectful, obscenity filled response to a post here, and you got up to visit the can, get a beer, whatever... and your child happened to check out what Dad was writing. Wouldn't you be embarrassed? Wouldn't your child think you were a jerk? Or, worse, would your kid think that this is how adults act, not any better than some of the punks and bullies at school? Is this how adults discourse about a contentious subject? Your son or daughter just learned that it is. Congrats on fine parenting.

Most online forums put on to be 'communities'. People with common interests get together, by way of computer, to share information, get and receive advice, converse about what brings us together, post some cool pics, whatever. I still feel a sense of wonder that we can do all of these things, with others all over the world, with so many different perspectives, views, live experiences, ect. Don't some of you? Do you remember the days you tried to find an answer to a problem with your vehicle by studying the Chiltons, reading your old issues of Popular Mechanix or car magazines, trying to pump your local wrench into sharing his knowledge? Now you have a question about your Tacoma truck you just ask it here, getting some invaluable help. Of course many of these informative, interesting, helpful threads get bogged down and wasted by snotty comments, mindless insults, childish put-downs. And I haven't even (and won't) gotten into political / social arguments that deteriorate so quickly, only to get closed/locked once everyone is pretty well hacked off at each other.

People can disagree and still be courteous and respectful. One can take a little time to think about what he intends to write, how to compose it, how to present his opinion without insult to other posters. Of course that is a little more difficult than just resorting to obscenity and vicious putdowns. And those kinda responses invite everyone else to bring it on, to outdo one another in the bad manners department.

I mentioned your children above; Leave them out of it. How do some of you feel about some of the comments you make here? Are you proud of your words? Do you have a good feeling about how you presented yourself?

I'm not really comfortable on a soap box. I think I will get off it, kick it aside and just- personally- make more of an effort to NOT get involved in some of these ridiculous, mindless, destructive arguments.

I am not presenting myself as perfect. I've made some pretty bad comments myself in online forums. I always end up regretting it. Serves no real purpose.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:03 PM   #3
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Seems like a good place to leave this for those who haven't seen it

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1237224-post.html

Old 08-03-2012, 01:57 PM   #4
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
Are you talking to us?????Crap aside 95 % of the peeps on TW are ok.. In life and online you will always run into assholes like Oz & myself just blow it off and move on... The days of payback are over old pal.... Jim

Old 08-03-2012, 02:03 PM   #6
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
FU Jim
Thank's Much,,, What the EF took you so long

Old 08-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #7
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
FU Jim
...this is not a good example of "civility", considering this is a thread about the lack of "civility"

Old 08-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #8
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyC View Post
...this is not a good example of "civility", considering this is a thread about the lack of "civility"
FU Wiley

Old 08-03-2012, 09:36 PM   #9
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
FU Wiley
that is not a good example of .... oh wait, me too?...

Old 08-03-2012, 09:38 PM   #10

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyC View Post
that is not a good example of .... oh wait, me too?...

Old 08-03-2012, 09:38 PM   #11
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Polarity
Fuck you and your universal single iPod cable you douchebag fuck face dog humping eating, BGR loving, homosexual ass.

I'm CMack....and I approve of this statement^.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:39 PM   #12
TWINSIES!
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
FU OZ

Old 08-03-2012, 09:45 PM   #13
Subd for later..
TacoRun is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRun is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRun is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRun is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRun is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRun is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRun is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRun is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRun is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRun is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luis
TacoRun's Tacoma Gallery
FU Brett

Old 08-03-2012, 09:46 PM   #14
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletToothTony View Post
FU OZ
^^This and well, FU CMACK too. Just so you don't feel left out Bullet FU too.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #16
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by medic2230 View Post
^^This and well, FU CMACK too. Just so you don't feel left out Bullet FU too.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #17
TWINSIES!
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
FU to this thread and everybody that posts in it from here on out...... BOOYAA!!!

Old 08-03-2012, 09:51 PM   #18
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
FU DB TCROBERTO!

Old 08-03-2012, 09:52 PM   #20
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
FU everybody and everything about everybody. Yup I got it covered. Bigger Booyaa!!!

Closed Thread